Will a huge $$ buyout prevent Callahan's firing after this season?

I Bleed Red you are obvioulsy qualified to say what you feel and think and it probably does pull more weight. However you said that the most important part of improving is the record. Well then you said that he hasnt improved the offense in any area except passing. What is their scoring offensive ranking now to compared when solich was here? I am not comparing stats from TO or Devaneys Era I am saying that just because he hasnt won a NC or Big 12 Championship in three freakin years is no reason to fire a coach especially with all the talent he is bringing in. I am saying what would have happened if we had the same view back then as we do now? Would we even have one NC? Now yes I think if we are still in the same boat after lets say 7 years or more I say fire him. There has not been a repeat NC since the BCS was invented which means that winning it all is harder than ever especially with the limited number of schollies. I say let him have a good amount of time, three years is not a good amount of time. Also could you give me a link to the stats posts that you have on here? Sorry for the grammer if there are any mistakes.

My concern is that our #1 RB ranks 101st in the nation in yds per attempt and he was a highly touted recruit, we constantly struggle in the 2nd and 3rd quarters on offense, our coaches seem to take this talent and not make it much better. Can you name 1 player who will be playing on Sundays from Callahan's era that is on this team? We are scoring points against bad teams or when they don't matter and it's all in the air. If Dirk Koetter didn't screw up we would be in BIG time trouble. These are Cally's players on the field and they need to start performing better than last year. We got lucky to beat ball st. I don't care if we passed for 700yds and scored 80 pts. If they score 79 and we have to get an interception return for a TD to get back into the game then we are not progressing.

Offensive truths against Ball St.

4 times we had 4 plays or less in the first 7 drives

We did not score on offense for over 13 minutes in the second half and enabled Ball St to take the lead.

114 yds rushing 3.2 yds per rush

Other teams rushing against Ball St:

Miami (OH) 178/4.7per rush

E. Michigan 107/3.8 per rush

Navy 521/8.0 per rush

Now the most interesting stat is we are the LOWEST is yds per rush and only 7 yards more than E. Michigan. That is pathetic. I guarantee Cally wanted another Nevada game so our defense wasn't always on the field but we weren't able to establish the run.

I don't think Steve P could have hired anyone but T.O. to please the "Fire Callahan Bunch". Callahan has been on the hot seat with some of you since the day he was hired. "He" didn't fire or force out Solich. He was offered a job and he took it. I don't care if he was the 1st or 5th coached offered, it's not his fault Solich was fired.

That said, has he made all the right moves, no. Does he have all the right coaches the team needs, maybe not. Does he have all the right players he needs yet, no but getting closer. Will he pull the plug on some coaches if the defense doesn't get better by years end, yes. Can he afford to make a major change during the season, that's a tough call.

I think back to Charlie Mc and wonder if Coz is going to get it going the way he did. I think the players need to make tackles, hold their positions, think on their feet, trust the guy next to them. Coaches and players have to share the blame. Players don't set up the schemes and coaches don't tackle.

I keep thinking this is the week it all comes together and like most of us I have been disappointed with some of the poor effort following or setting the right schemes.

Let's beat ISU and hope we don't have to talk about this again next week. Ok maybe just a little. :)

GBR!!!

I don't think Steve P could have hired anyone but T.O. to please the "Fire Callahan Bunch". Callahan has been on the hot seat with some of you since the day he was hired. "He" didn't fire or force out Solich. He was offered a job and he took it. I don't care if he was the 1st or 5th coached offered, it's not his fault Solich was fired.

That said, has he made all the right moves, no. Does he have all the right coaches the team needs, maybe not. Does he have all the right players he needs yet, no but getting closer. Will he pull the plug on some coaches if the defense doesn't get better by years end, yes. Can he afford to make a major change during the season, that's a tough call.

I think back to Charlie Mc and wonder if Coz is going to get it going the way he did. I think the players need to make tackles, hold their positions, think on their feet, trust the guy next to them. Coaches and players have to share the blame. Players don't set up the schemes and coaches don't tackle.

I keep thinking this is the week it all comes together and like most of us I have been disappointed with some of the poor effort following or setting the right schemes.

Let's beat ISU and hope we don't have to talk about this again next week. Ok maybe just a little. :)

GBR!!!

I don't want TO, Solich or Callahan. And I don't mind Solich leaving but they did it the wrong way....without a good coach in mind and after a successful season. Solich bringing down the program doesn't have anything to do with giving up 610yds to Ball St in year 4.

I bleed Red.

You bring very impressive credentials to the forum. You obviously know football and how to coach it.

But aren't you causing one of the things that coaches fight against on a continual basis. The mind set of the athelete.

We are not having the season we as a group expected. I expected to get run by SC, the other two are questionable to say the least.

But I ask you in all sincerity, could you please help stop this bleeding. Let us get through this season and see where the chips fall. If it is the catasrophy you predict, there will be many jumping on board. Myself possibly.

But right now we need everyone to back this program, the kids for sure and lastly the coaches.

I have been a fan for over 50 years. I know this season is not good, but tearing at the heart and soul of it by the fans on a daily basis is not helping the team(kids) or the possible recruiting this year.

Please look at it as an investment this year. If at the end of the year, the things you predict come to pass I will be right there beside you. Do the same for me until the year is over. We both know nothing is going to happen before January regarding the staff. My grandmother always told me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I have tried to live by that my whole life. I am not happy about the way things are going, but if this team has any chance to regroup it needs every single one us on their side. I know you aren't against the kids, but attacking their coach is in their minds is attacking them.

I know you feel the same as I do about our Huskers. Please, let's work to make this season the best it can be with support beyond question. Failure brings departures, but let's cheer and support beyond the call until those decisions have to be made.

Go Big RED!!!!!

I bleed Red.

You bring very impressive credentials to the forum. You obviously know football and how to coach it.

But aren't you causing one of the things that coaches fight against on a continual basis. The mind set of the athelete.

We are not having the season we as a group expected. I expected to get run by SC, the other two are questionable to say the least.

But I ask you in all sincerity, could you please help stop this bleeding. Let us get through this season and see where the chips fall. If it is the catasrophy you predict, there will be many jumping on board. Myself possibly.

But right now we need everyone to back this program, the kids for sure and lastly the coaches.

I have been a fan for over 50 years. I know this season is not good, but tearing at the heart and soul of it by the fans on a daily basis is not helping the team(kids) or the possible recruiting this year.

Please look at it as an investment this year. If at the end of the year, the things you predict come to pass I will be right there beside you. Do the same for me until the year is over. We both know nothing is going to happen before January regarding the staff. My grandmother always told me if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I have tried to live by that my whole life. I am not happy about the way things are going, but if this team has any chance to regroup it needs every single one us on their side. I know you aren't against the kids, but attacking their coach is in their minds is attacking them.

I know you feel the same as I do about our Huskers. Please, let's work to make this season the best it can be with support beyond question. Failure brings departures, but let's cheer and support beyond the call until those decisions have to be made.

Go Big RED!!!!!

I understand what you are saying and I can appreciate your words and message however I use this board and my website to express my frustrations. I only cheer at games, still buy merchandise and support the players. This is an expressive outlet that the players and coaches don't care about and I want to bring up points I feel are missing here. Also, I like the debate and sharing of ideas.

I understand what you are saying.

But this is really boiling around Nebraska. Fans going in different directions, and alot away from the positives this program were built on.

I live in SoCal, and my boss is an SC grad. He made comments today about hearing how our fans are coming apart at the seems. He wondered if it was true? I really do not know how to answer him.

And I beileve these kids(team) and the future kids(recruits) do read these boards. Most when making a life changing decision do try to get every bit of information they can about it. It would not surprise me to know that nearly every potential recruiti reads these boards and a large number of players do. The internet has become the most powerful media tool in the world. More positives and negatives are passed along the web than any other form of communication. Thinking that they are not reading what we say as a fan base may end up doing us more harm than any coaching staff could.

I understand what you are saying.

But this is really boiling around Nebraska. Fans going in different directions, and alot away from the positives this program were built on.

I live in SoCal, and my boss is an SC grad. He made comments today about hearing how our fans are coming apart at the seems. He wondered if it was true? I really do not know how to answer him.

And I beileve these kids(team) and the future kids(recruits) do read these boards. Most when making a life changing decision do try to get every bit of information they can about it. It would not surprise me to know that nearly every potential recruiti reads these boards and a large number of players do. The internet has become the most powerful media tool in the world. More positives and negatives are passed along the web than any other form of communication. Thinking that they are not reading what we say as a fan base may end up doing us more harm than any coaching staff could.

Well if the coaches have half a clue this kids won't be reading them. I never read them and coaches stressed not to read them, listen to the radio or read the sports section about us. I can't imagine why any player would get a benefit out of reading this. And any recruit will find the same types of things on any message board for any team except USC LSU and OU.

Well if the coaches have half a clue this kids won't be reading them. I never read them and coaches stressed not to read them, listen to the radio or read the sports section about us. I can't imagine why any player would get a benefit out of reading this. And any recruit will find the same types of things on any message board for any team except USC LSU and OU.

Bill Callahan was quoted as saying that the players shouldn't read the media if it bothered them.

...Well you are off base because I have given endless stats and examples of Cally mis-guiding this team.

I played QB at AZ during the 90's, coached there, coach as ass. OC at a DII school and coached QB clinics at ASU for people like SAM KELLER!!!

Comparing Devaney stats of any kind or even TO stats is pointless. And Devaney turned it around quicker. BC has only improved our passing game, every other offensive area is worse. Our record isn't better which matters most and our defense is non-existent. I want him fired so we don't delay the inevitable and we try to move beyond this crap sooner rather than later. I have a lot of stats on this board. LOOK AROUND!

Bleed.. I usually agree with more of your points than I disagree with..'course, that may be true of most of the posters that posted on this thread and the countless ones just like it.

Someone was trying to make comparisons to the amount of time given to different coaches..Devaney retired when I was 12, but even in the 6-4 years, I imagine the general consensus was that we were getting better and not embarrassing ourselves out there..(Much harder to do after Osborn..the getting better part).

Somebody else mentioned Nebraska being a "Glamor Job"...Maybe to Alaskans or people in the northern part of "Tornado Alley"...But we had a unique situation with Osborn..He was good enough to coach at other places (And just about any of them-less stressful), but stayed out of some extreme Loyalty...Used to be a common trait around NE.

I can't imagine ANYONE that had any success in coaching going so far as creating and maintaining a website trying to get another coach fired, but then I only coached the defense of a little league team after my Freshman year in college, because my boss the Summer b4 was the head coach and somehow made me believe I could meet MILF's that way.

We turned around a losing season about mid-season and lost the Championship game by a TD.

It made me wish I'd walked on that much more, but We already had too many 220 pound LBs that could barely run the 40 in under 5 seconds..(My best time was 5.0, and I took a shortcut).

Nebraska was an attractive place to play, mainly because of the reputation of turning unknown athletes into All Americans (Academic and Athletic).

The last 10 years, it appears to be the other way around.

I don't see Cally getting rid of Coz, because I think he still believes in him..

Sadly, The best thing I can think about Cally so far...At least he's not Houston Nutt

Oh yeah..I'm not surprized you were a Wildcat..Do they even get local coverage?..Not flaming, just judging by a comment I can't seem to find by you recently (about your enjoyment of the perks of CF..I figured it was a party school with little media scruitiny)..Still much better than Me not starting until the 3rd game of my SR. year of HS.

Oh yeah..just wondering..how did you became a Husker fan?

The "Fire BC" rants are completely ridiculous and have no validity to them. Bring another coach and we'll be in even worse shape than we are now. We have an awesome recruiting class coming in, had an excellent one coming in last year, and the offense is a very solid offense. It's easy to oversee the good when you have your own anti-Callahan agenda like some do on these boards.

Well if the coaches have half a clue this kids won't be reading them. I never read them and coaches stressed not to read them, listen to the radio or read the sports section about us.

I can't imagine why any player would get a benefit out of reading this.

And any recruit will find the same types of things on any message board for any team except USC LSU and OU.

#1) Because they're also FANS and dream about playing for particular teams long before they get recruited.

#2) Haven't seen many LSU bbs sites this year, but the one I saw a couple years ago made this one look cordial..Same with OU and USC that I've seen so far this year...just not near the traffic.

Any opinions on Dick Tomey?

How responsible was he for UA's "Desert Swarm" defense?

Think he's accept a DC offer?

Well if the coaches have half a clue this kids won't be reading them. I never read them and coaches stressed not to read them, listen to the radio or read the sports section about us.

I can't imagine why any player would get a benefit out of reading this.

And any recruit will find the same types of things on any message board for any team except USC LSU and OU.

#1) Because they're also FANS and dream about playing for particular teams long before they get recruited.

#2) Haven't seen many LSU bbs sites this year, but the one I saw a couple years ago made this one look cordial..Same with OU and USC that I've seen so far this year...just not near the traffic.

Any opinions on Dick Tomey?

How responsible was he for UA's "Desert Swarm" defense?

Think he's accept a DC offer?

Why would he want a step down in pay. Hes a head coach now. Don't think I have ever seen anyone go from head coach to a asst coach. Not a bad idea though.

GBR!!!

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Uhhh hummm. Well, I don't know about studying football, but I know someone who could use a little refresher in grammar.

:thumbs

The way people on this board write I think many of them are former football players. :)

maybe some of them is

Fire this coach fire that coach etc. I understand everyones being upset but man is this getting old. How about looking at it this way. Coz like the D players has gotten kicked in the mouth. Lets see how he reacts for the rest of the season. Yes he didn't have a great record at WI but we're in this for the season. Lets wait and see what happens. Coz, BC, SP, the Chancelor, the players and the fans all have something riding on each game from here on out. No garantees, everyone needs to pull together, suck it up and put forth a good fight and let the chips fall where they may. Then at the end of the season if changes need to be made so be it. For now I say lets see if all of us can bet a little better at our part and do what needs to be done. Fans cheering and making real noise, no more booing. D line knocking heads so the LB's can clean house, Coz letting the kids find a way to have fun and get the fire back, SP keeping quiet so as not to make things worse, BC fighting for the kids, coaches etc. where needed. It's like someone sucked all the life out of the program and the fans. No all that's left is the whining. Coaches, fans and players alike should be ticked everytime someone takes a shot at them. Once the season is over then eval.

Offensive truths against Ball St.

4 times we had 4 plays or less in the first 7 drives

We did not score on offense for over 13 minutes in the second half and enabled Ball St to take the lead.

114 yds rushing 3.2 yds per rush

Other teams rushing against Ball St:

Miami (OH) 178/4.7per rush

E. Michigan 107/3.8 per rush

Navy 521/8.0 per rush

Now the most interesting stat is we are the LOWEST is yds per rush and only 7 yards more than E. Michigan. That is pathetic. I guarantee Cally wanted another Nevada game so our defense wasn't always on the field but we weren't able to establish the run.

To me this points to a lack of offensive line execution. That's why I've been wondering why everyone is saying the Husker Offense is great this year. We've run up scores against unrated teams or when the game was out of reach playing against second and probably third string defenses. Has anyone counted the number of times the NU offesne hasbeen 3 and Out this year already? Probably a pretty scary stat.

The defensive deficiencies are all too obvious as well.

I do like the kicking game though. That kid has a LEG!

So, I am a Husker fan and now, instead of watching with an expectation that UNL will dominate, I watch EVERY game with that nervous anticipation you get when you really don't know what to expect next. I'll always root for the Huskers. Always. I just have to get used to being this nervous ALL the time.