callahan cant coach

I tend to think that Nebraskans know that just because something is a change, doesn't mean its a good thing.  That goes for gambling and coaching.

Then why won't you admit that about the band-aids that Frankie hired last year to try to save his job. Does 10-3 with no chance of beating the good teams mean it was a good change?

As opposed to 5-6 and losing to half of the gimme games on our schedule?

I tend to think that Nebraskans know that just because something is a change, doesn't mean its a good thing.  That goes for gambling and coaching.

Then why won't you admit that about the band-aids that Frankie hired last year to try to save his job. Does 10-3 with no chance of beating the good teams mean it was a good change?

Solich had 6 years, plus working under TO for years.

Callahan has had 9 games.

Nice attitude you true Husker fan. :wacko: Have they already lost their last to games? What were the gimme games? At Tech, At K-State? S.Miss blame that on turnovers. How many drives were killed by fumbles? We should of beat Iowa State, but we should beat them every year. I should of thought I would get this response from one of the Solich boys. He is not ever coming back and neither are any of his hired guns from last year, MOVE ON.

S Miss and Iowa State are gimme games. We won those handily last year. We could have easily lost to Kansas at home this year, that would have been great.

And for as many times as you can talk about how turnovers, exc. are the excuses for the games we should have won this year, I can give you lots of excuses for games that were winnable which Solich lost.

S Miss and Iowa State are gimme games. We won those handily last year. We could have easily lost to Kansas at home this year, that would have been great.

And for as many times as you can talk about how turnovers, exc. are the excuses for the games we should have won this year, I can give you lots of excuses for games that were winnable which Solich lost.

How were the 3 blowouts last year winnable? I'll give you Okie St. and Ole' Miss in 2002. Who called that fake punt away? Let em guess Texas came down to turnovers? If you want to bring up could of, we could of lost to Penn St last year remember? Did you watch the S. Miss game? Turnovers were the reason. Just the facts dude.

Um...we were winning 24-14 going into the 4th quarter against Missouri last year. We just collapsed. We were only down 17-7 going into the fourth quarter agains KSU last year. And do you remember how many passes were dropped in that game? Lord was actually hitting his tight ends deep and there were at least two passes that would have been touchdowns that were dropped. Yes, Texas destroyed us, I'll give you that.

3 of those turnovers were interceptions in the S Miss game. Because Callahan insists on throwing 40 times a game. Just tell me, do you honsestly think Solich would have lost to Iowa State and S. Miss. and barely beat Kansas this year? If you do, this debate is pointless...dude.

Callahan is a great recruiting tool, that I will give him....But he is not a coach, he has been out coached many times this year, I dont want to hear any of this BS we need better athleates because that is a load of crap this is the same team as last year and this year we are strugleing to make it to the magical 6th win to be bowl elegable.

Honestly with how Callahan has managed in the span of less than a year to take Nebraska from a winning program to the whipping boy of the big 12, im not sure that I would want to see Nebraska in a bowl game to be destroid on National tv....

He just doesnt have what it takes to be a head coach, he might have been good as a cordinator, someone who tells the head coach what they are doing then the head coach desides what to do.... Callahan is a joke, as is Cosgrove....

Cosgrove has a good D to work with and he is making them look like a 3a D, I dont see how anyone can argue that Pelini wasnt a good coach, he might not have been the best but come on Cosgrove? 

I will be very impressed to see Nebraska win one more game this year, its not that they dont have the talent to win its they dont have the coaching to win, this is a first for me Nebraska has always had good coaching, devany, osborne, solich... now we have a retard who looks lost and apparently doesnt watch the game....  :steam  :steam  :steam

You've got to be kidding me. Did you seriously expect a 10-1 season with a trip to the Big XII Championship? With a new coach, a new system, and players that don't fit into the system, my expectations weren't that high. All I can say is that you're one of many spoiled Nebraska fans who aren't used to this.

I bet you were one of those people who asked for Solich's head on a platter after the 7-7 season but sang his praises through last season. The words "fair weather" come to mind.

I didnt expext to see a 10-1 with a trip to the big 12 champ, but I never in my wildest dreams thought one person could destroy so much in such a short period of time.

Spoiled maby, I dont ask for a perfect season every year, what I want is a team that comes to play every sat. looking at this year nebraska showed up to playin 2 games thats about it.... as far as Solich hell no i wasnt asking for his head, I actually beleaved in solich, Osborne selected him to be his replacment and I knew there would be some ruff spots but I knew that nebraska would be their to play every sat....

I dont beleave in Callahan, he has shown me nothing... Dont give me this crap about it takes longer than a year to implement a system, Callahan is doing the same thing Solich did only with the pass, everyone complained when they loaded the box with 8 and Solich would run the ball, Callahan sees 3 in the box and goes pass happy? come on Callahan has a set game plan that doesnt change when he sets his mind on the pass that is just about all they do.

I didnt expext to see a 10-1 with a trip to the big 12 champ, but I never in my wildest dreams thought one person could destroy so much in such a short period of time.

Spoiled maby, I dont ask for a perfect season every year, what I want is a team that comes to play every sat. looking at this year nebraska showed up to playin 2 games thats about it.... as far as Solich hell no i wasnt asking for his head, I actually beleaved in solich, Osborne selected him to be his replacment and I knew there would be some ruff spots but I knew that nebraska would be their to play every sat....

I dont beleave in Callahan, he has shown me nothing... Dont give me this crap about it takes longer than a year to implement a system, Callahan is doing the same thing Solich did only with the pass, everyone complained when they loaded the box with 8 and Solich would run the ball, Callahan sees 3 in the box and goes pass happy? come on Callahan has a set game plan that doesnt change when he sets his mind on the pass that is just about all they do.

The fallacy in your argument is that, unlike Callahan, Solich was not trying to implement a new system. Rather, he was simply trying to add a few new elements to the existing system - something that should have been eaiser than implementing an entirely new system. And, as you noted, Solich didn't make a real attempt to add a little diversity to the attack - he would still run when there were eight in the box.

Nebraska people are a spoiled bunch

Well, it wasn't my idea to completely change the way our football team plays ball for no absolutely good reason.

A wise man once said, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

All the WCO is, is Callahan stoking his own ego. I firmly believe that he's got a chip on his shoulder after having his ass handed to him in the superbowl.

He might be a good recruiter, that remains to be seen. One thing I do know, is that i'd feel better with a pop warner coach at the helm than that blithering idiot.

The strangest thing about the coaching this year is inconsitency. No wonder why the players look confused. We rushed for over 200 yds against the #2 team in the country and threw the frickin ball all over the place against SMU, KSU & Iowa St with no success.

Those are 3 games we should have won. It's obvious these coaches are recruiters, but can they coach? That's another matter. And no one but time can answer that question.

I have heard enough of new offense, new system, we don't have the players to fit that system, bull. We have some talent, good coaching staffs find the right plays for the rights group of guys, this staff has done a terrible job. Defensively, we have been out coached every second half of every game. This present staff is always begging for patients, instead of coaching their tales off. We can bring in the number one class in the nation and with this staff, we will lucky to win 8 games. This staff can not cut it in the Big 12. Giving them more time will only diminish the support that the huskers do have at the present time. Callahan needs to make some coaching changes as soon as the season is over, or his head may be on the chopping block. THIS STAFF AS A STAFF IS TERRIBLE.

I have heard enough of new offense, new system, we don't have the players to fit that system, bull. We have some talent, good coaching staffs find the right plays for the rights group of guys, this staff has done a terrible job. Defensively, we have been out coached every second half of every game. This present staff is always begging for patients, instead of coaching their tales off. We can bring in the number one class in the nation and with this staff, we will lucky to win 8 games. This staff can not cut it in the Big 12. Giving them more time will only diminish the support that the huskers do have at the present time. Callahan needs to make some coaching changes as soon as the season is over, or his head may be on the chopping block. THIS STAFF AS A STAFF IS TERRIBLE.

And I have heard enough of that.

I have heard enough of new offense, new system, we don't have the players to fit that system, bull.  We have some talent, good coaching staffs find the right plays for the rights group of guys, this staff has done a terrible job.  Defensively, we have been out coached every second half of every game.  This present staff is always begging for patients, instead of coaching their tales off.  We can bring in the number one class in the nation and with this staff, we will lucky to win 8 games.  This staff can not  cut it in the Big 12.  Giving them more time will only diminish the support that the huskers do have at the present time.  Callahan needs to make some coaching changes as soon as the season is over, or his head may be on the chopping block.  THIS STAFF AS A STAFF IS TERRIBLE.

Defend them, then. Say something else besides 'this is a new system and they need time to get their recruits in'. Let's assume that it was a good idea to change everything over to a new system (which I don't agree with). But let's just assume. Give me some good decisions this staff has made this year besides overhauling the system then. Have they coached at all? We're all getting all giddy over a last second field goal to not get shut out and then talking about how we can't wait until Callahan gets the U.S. Men's 4X100 relay team to come play defense for us. I'm sick of hearing that! If this staff is so great, tell us why.

I have heard enough of new offense, new system, we don't have the players to fit that system, bull.  We have some talent, good coaching staffs find the right plays for the rights group of guys, this staff has done a terrible job.  Defensively, we have been out coached every second half of every game.  This present staff is always begging for patients, instead of coaching their tales off.  We can bring in the number one class in the nation and with this staff, we will lucky to win 8 games.  This staff can not  cut it in the Big 12.  Giving them more time will only diminish the support that the huskers do have at the present time.  Callahan needs to make some coaching changes as soon as the season is over, or his head may be on the chopping block.  THIS STAFF AS A STAFF IS TERRIBLE.

Defend them, then. Say something else besides 'this is a new system and they need time to get their recruits in'. Let's assume that it was a good idea to change everything over to a new system (which I don't agree with). But let's just assume. Give me some good decisions this staff has made this year besides overhauling the system then. Have they coached at all? We're all getting all giddy over a last second field goal to not get shut out and then talking about how we can't wait until Callahan gets the U.S. Men's 4X100 relay team to come play defense for us. I'm sick of hearing that! If this staff is so great, tell us why.

I have never said this staff was great and everything that Nebraska needs. I have said that it is only fair to give them the time they deserve. It's bad enough I have to hear about how Solich was let go,I don't need to hear the reprocussions from firing a coaching staff every 1-2 years. I am confident that they know their system and they know what needs to be done to implement it fully. They know what kind of players they need to make it work like they want it to work. I refuse to believe that these guys have spent their careers fooling all their superiors. That is nothing by cynical in any circle.

As a college football head coach, I think Callahan has some learning to do. He has been out of the college game for a while. He has said that himself this year. Case in point is admitting he was wrong in keeping a lot of the players off the field for warm ups. Considering what's done is done, I think it would be very un-Nebraskan to not at least try to get behind him a bit. I hope this year he has learned something. Nebraskans are in general very accepting people, unless you are gay and want to get married and mess with "their" football. :)

Good decisions, well, I would be lying if I said it was easy to find one from a fans perspective. It was a good decision to let Incognito go. I thought the idea to pass against IA State was a good one. The plays were there, but not executed. It was a good decision to finally use Dyches in place of Sandro. Some will say that, "well he sucked last year, he's gonna suck this year.". Which is most likely true, but I think you have to look at it from a coaches perspective. Are you going to take the word of the previous year's coaches on who is good and who isn't? Either way I don't see how he beat him out in spring ball.

Anyway, have they coached? What is evidence of good coaching? People always talk about good coaching but don't give any examples of what it means to be well coached. People will look at a football team with a good record and say that they are well coached. Well is that all there is to it? Did the players have nothing to do with it? What does it truely mean to be well coached? Please, tell me cause I want to know!

I have said it before, I am not going to pass judgement on this staff yet. It's too early and doing it now would sell any coach short in my opinion. One thing we need now is stability in the coaching ranks.

I have never said this staff was great and everything that Nebraska needs. I have said that it is only fair to give them the time they deserve. It's bad enough I have to hear about how Solich was let go,I don't need to hear the reprocussions from firing a coaching staff every 1-2 years. I am confident that they know their system and they know what needs to be done to implement it fully. They know what kind of players they need to make it work like they want it to work. I refuse to believe that these guys have spent their careers fooling all their superiors. That is nothing by cynical in any circle.

As a college football head coach, I think Callahan has some learning to do. He has been out of the college game for a while. He has said that himself this year. Case in point is admitting he was wrong in keeping a lot of the players off the field for warm ups. Considering what's done is done, I think it would be very un-Nebraskan to not at least try to get behind him a bit. I hope this year he has learned something. Nebraskans are in general very accepting people, unless you are gay and want to get married and mess with "their" football. :)

Good decisions, well, I would be lying if I said it was easy to find one from a fans perspective. It was a good decision to let Incognito go. I thought the idea to pass against IA State was a good one. The plays were there, but not executed. It was a good decision to finally use Dyches in place of Sandro. Some will say that, "well he sucked last year, he's gonna suck this year.". Which is most likely true, but I think you have to look at it from a coaches perspective. Are you going to take the word of the previous year's coaches on who is good and who isn't? Either way I don't see how he beat him out in spring ball.

Anyway, have they coached? What is evidence of good coaching? People always talk about good coaching but don't give any examples of what it means to be well coached. People will look at a football team with a good record and say that they are well coached. Well is that all there is to it? Did the players have nothing to do with it? What does it truely mean to be well coached? Please, tell me cause I want to know!

I have said it before, I am not going to pass judgement on this staff yet. It's too early and doing it now would sell any coach short in my opinion. One thing we need now is stability in the coaching ranks.

I understand your point on giving them time. We could go in circles on why I think they don't deserve time because of what Pedersen did and blablabla....but we've already been there. I'm not as optimistic as you about them being good coaches. Cosgrove has never proved he can do anything. Changing the kicker was a good move, but like you say, I don't know why Dyches wans't in there to begin with. Passing against Iowa State I don't think was good at all. I think they are soft and slow up front and we could have bruised them pretty bad. Like you say, though...only time will tell. I guess I just don't see as many reasons to be optimistic as you do.

But I always appreciate the spirited debate and letting me get my thoughts in. You are a worthy oponent at the debate lecturn. :duel