Spoiled Nebraskans..

beany

From the Wikipedia article about Bob Devaney:

"Devaney's record at Nebraska was 101-20-2, with 9 bowl appearances in 11 years, and two national championships. His teams won or shared eight Big 8 titles. His overall college head coaching record was 136-30-7, for an outstanding .806 win-loss percentage."

From the Wikipedia article about Tom Osborne:

"His 255-49-3 record gave him the best winning percentage (83.6%) among active NCAA Division I-A coaches at the time of his retirement and the fifth-best of all time."

Two over the top, outstanding football coaches for the same program, in a row. That's about half a century of extraordinary coaching.

I have some agreement with those who want the current crew out of here, but I have to admit that my biggest disappointment came not when Callahan arrived, but when the strength and conditioning people were jettisoned along with all the other coaches and staff by Callahan.

Football, at its bottom line, is a contest of strength and conditioning ("good blocking and good tackling" as Nute Rockne answered "What's the secret of Notre Dame's successes?"), and I am of the opinion that Devaney and Osborne were hyper aware of that over time.

Interesting article as an aside: http://www.strengthdisk.com/ViewArticle.db...mp;ATCLID=35516

I agree about the strenght and conditioning aspect. We are very weak right now and need some serious help in this area.

We are supposed to have the top strength and conditioning coach in the country. He has the wide receiver from the Ariz Cardinals coming back in the off season to work out with him. Fitzgerald [spelling?]. At least that's what was posted on this board when he was brought back from Pitt. Right?

GBR!!!

I concur, we were spoiled.

We had arguably two of the best coaches of all time at our school.

Now, we quite possibly have one of the most over hyped coaches running our program. The day I found out he was going to be our coach, my heart sank.

I'm also a Raider fan, and I still remember his piss poor job he did with my silver and black against the Bucs in the super bowl.

The minute I'd heard he was coming to Lincoln, I knew we were hosed...

I agree about the strenght and conditioning aspect. We are very weak right now and need some serious help in this area.

We are supposed to have the top strength and conditioning coach in the country. He has the wide receiver from the Ariz Cardinals coming back in the off season to work out with him. Fitzgerald [spelling?]. At least that's what was posted on this board when he was brought back from Pitt. Right?

GBR!!!

Dave Kennedy. He's a man with a great resume. He's produced various award winning players from time to time and has been regarded as "The" s and t coach in the country.

I believe he has no clue as to Nebraska culture and power and lost that when at Ohio State, despite his experiences as an assistant at NU. Same as the good coach Callahan. Good coaches. No clue.

Just my opinion.

"Devaney's record at Nebraska was 101-20-2, with 9 bowl appearances in 11 years, and two national championships. His teams won or shared eight Big 8 titles. His overall college head coaching record was 136-30-7, for an outstanding .806 win-loss percentage."

"His 255-49-3 record gave him the best winning percentage (83.6%) among active NCAA Division I-A coaches at the time of his retirement and the fifth-best of all time."

Two over the top, outstanding football coaches for the same program, in a row. That's about half a century of extraordinary coaching.

I have some agreement with those who want the current crew out of here, but I have to admit that my biggest disappointment came not when Callahan arrived, but when the strength and conditioning people were jettisoned along with all the other coaches and staff by Callahan.

Football, at its bottom line, is a contest of strength and conditioning ("good blocking and good tackling" as Nute Rockne answered "What's the secret of Notre Dame's successes?"), and I am of the opinion that Devaney and Osborne were hyper aware of that over time.

Interesting article as an aside: http://www.strengthdisk.com/ViewArticle.db...mp;ATCLID=35516

You know, the coaching thing you brought up is interesting. Those were two FANTASTIC coaches, btw. Aside from being a Sooner fan, I'm a Miami Dolphin fan and I can understand how you feel. I was so used to the playoffs every single year and chances of a Superbowl. Now, the last five or six years have been pure hell to be a Dolphin fan. I guess I'm trying to draw a comparison. Nebraska - Great Program, great tradition of winning, currently in somewhat of a drought. Miami Dolphins, Great Program, great tradition of winning, currently in a drought as well.

I wish you well Huskers, and hope that your fortunes changes sooner rather than later.

You know, the coaching thing you brought up is interesting. Those were two FANTASTIC coaches, btw. Aside from being a Sooner fan, I'm a Miami Dolphin fan and I can understand how you feel. I was so used to the playoffs every single year and chances of a Superbowl. Now, the last five or six years have been pure hell to be a Dolphin fan. I guess I'm trying to draw a comparison. Nebraska - Great Program, great tradition of winning, currently in somewhat of a drought. Miami Dolphins, Great Program, great tradition of winning, currently in a drought as well.

I wish you well Huskers, and hope that your fortunes changes sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the kind words and I know that you know how this feels right now. I feel like I'm ready to have a panic attack and at the same time I want to just smash something. At the beginning of the year we all (well most of us) thought that this team was a Big XII Championship contender. Well obviously that was false. Can we borrow Stoops for a couple years. :)

you had to put that word in there again didnt you?

It also could be that everyone else has just caought up -- NU dominated with power in the 90's in part because of a strength and conditioning edge -- others caught on, and caught up.

you had to put that word in there again didnt you?

Hah! Fraudian slip. No joke; you Husker fans deserve the best because of your knowledge of football and the great values that have been instilled by your coaching staff over the years. I don't remember Devaney, but Osborne and those teams reflected the values of the great state of Nebraska. I truly mean that. If there is ever a single college football program that OU would lose to, I could pick no finer institution or fans than those of Nebraska. You guys hang in there, it will happen. I think we got lucky in attaining Stoops. Put some of those intelligent Husker faithful in either getting this coach on the right track or getting a new one and it will happen for you. Nebraska has too much to offer to accept anything less.

Thanks for all of the nice comments folks. It's a pleasure talking football with all of you. I only wish it were under different circumstances.