Cosgrove comment

TheKiD

Cosgrove was one of the last out, well after midnight. Tough game, somebody said. Sure was, Cosgrove replied.

And only a precursor to the public abuse coming until the Huskers can stop one of the worst defensive slides in modern NU football history.

"It's part of the territory," Cosgrove said. "I've been doing this a long time. I know what to expect."

Yup coach, with all the terrible defenses you've been responsible for I'm sure you do know what to expect.

That guy is completely clueless.

I agree, and like the other poster up there says, his resume is

a testamony to that fact.

What did Callahan think, that they guy was going to improve

with the program?

Or was he just calling old friends to share in the wealth of the

new regime?

with the program?

new regime?

People go with friends when they need to hire people. Presidents (both our current one as well as past presidents) hire old political cronies. Your boss would probably prefer to hire a friend or someone recommended by a friend.

He hired Cosgrove because Coz was willing to be a loyal assistant, was a good recruiter, and because he trusted him. He knew Coz from way back. They probably had a pact that if either of them became a HC they'd hire the other if they could.

with the program?

new regime?

People go with friends when they need to hire people. Presidents (both our current one as well as past presidents) hire old political cronies. Your boss would probably prefer to hire a friend or someone recommended by a friend.

He hired Cosgrove because Coz was willing to be a loyal assistant, was a good recruiter, and because he trusted him. He knew Coz from way back. They probably had a pact that if either of them became a HC they'd hire the other if they could.

Personally I have no problem with buddy hires. Except in this case, Coz's record was so dismal at the college level that one had to wonder what Cally was thinking. When you hire a friend, at least you know what you're getting. You get loyalty, familiar attributes, comraderie, similar views, etc. If Coz was good at anything besides recruiting (and I question that), I'd say he's the man for the job. But he can't teach defense, sheme, or inspire players. The best we get in the inspiration department is McGirly giving a whining press conference describing how much FUN he's not having. Yes, I'm still pissed about that.

X

Cosgrove was one of the last out, well after midnight. Tough game, somebody said. Sure was, Cosgrove replied.

And only a precursor to the public abuse coming until the Huskers can stop one of the worst defensive slides in modern NU football history.

"It's part of the territory," Cosgrove said. "I've been doing this a long time. I know what to expect."

Yup coach, with all the terrible defenses you've been responsible for I'm sure you do know what to expect.

Much like the defenses that he's coordinated- he knows what to expect, but doesn't know what to do to stop it!

I do not believe Callahan hired Cosgrove simply BECAUSE they are friends. In coaching you HAVE to win, so I don't think that he would put his own success in jeopardy to help a friend....a friend who had a pretty good job before he was hired here.

I think that Callahan really thought Cosgrove would give him the best chance for success....period.....or he would not have hired him. Now that may be because they know each other well and Bill figured that they would work well together....but of course he was trying to make a decision that would increase his chance for success.

And i really think this is MORE of a problem than if he would have hired him ONLY because they were friends. He made a very poor business decision when he hired Cosgrove. It shows a lack of judgment and the inability to make these types of decision.

I am repeating what I said in a previous post so forgive me. Callahan and the defensive minds must have come together in the middle of last week to discuss their strategy for the Missouri game I presume. Then I assume Cosgrove takes front stage and discusses what they plan to do for the upcoming game. At any point in time during this process wouldn't you think Callahan would stand up a say "Please, give me something better than this. Is this the best you can do"?

I would have listened for a couple minutes and put an absolute stop to that crappy game plan. How can you basically play a prevent defense for the ENTIRE game? Players out of their natural position, no aggressive calls, etc. Did they honestly think that strategy would work? Never in the history on mankind has that type of game plann won a game. It was like watching Missouri running the 2 minute offense against a team that was up by 20 and just didn't want to give up the BIG play. Well, they certainly had enough of those.

I have been watching football long enough to know that you must, I repeat must put pressure on the offensive team by any means possible. Rushing 3 players (a couple linebackers at times) is not going to cut it. Any QB in College could have picked our defense apart. Hell, I could've and I am 44 years old and have bad knees.

We have hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice during the year and this is the best product we can put forth? I really feel sorry for the DBs. I really feel that they could make some plays if the QBs would be under more pressure.