Bo Pelini vs Turner Gill

Apathy

How about neither?

Why not Bo. He was OU's defensive coordinator for 2004 and he didn't have the players that he recruted and he had to start with scratch and look what he did with that program as well as LSU's and our 2003 defensive squad. This guy is an intelligent coach and I know he has some anger problems but at least he gets emotional in the game and with his players. This guy will put quotes and sayings in the players lockers to get them fired up before the game and it helps motivate the players. This guy was our multi-billion dollar lottery ticket and we let him get away and now its time to get him back. Our next 2 home games we need our stands to start chanting "We Want Bo Back." That would be sweeettttttt.

Because the guy is a walking time bomb. Maybe for DC, not for head coach. Maybe he has settled down, but I am very skeptical of this guy, especially the way he badmouthed the university after he left. Not just Pederson, the University.

I am not condoning the bad talking of the university, if, I say if that happened. However, can you blame the guy for being pissed, arguably the best the Blackshirts looked, ever! Plus, he seems to be doing a very good job at LSU. Let the offensive coordinator call the plays.

How about neither?

Why not Bo. He was OU's defensive coordinator for 2004 and he didn't have the players that he recruted and he had to start with scratch and look what he did with that program as well as LSU's and our 2003 defensive squad. This guy is an intelligent coach and I know he has some anger problems but at least he gets emotional in the game and with his players. This guy will put quotes and sayings in the players lockers to get them fired up before the game and it helps motivate the players. This guy was our multi-billion dollar lottery ticket and we let him get away and now its time to get him back. Our next 2 home games we need our stands to start chanting "We Want Bo Back." That would be sweeettttttt.

Because the guy is a walking time bomb. Maybe for DC, not for head coach. Maybe he has settled down, but I am very skeptical of this guy, especially the way he badmouthed the university after he left. Not just Pederson, the University.

I don't care if he's a walking time bomb......look at what he's done at two major college programs. He's the man to pick up. He only bad mouth Pederson and if you don't believe that he has said it on his interview on Yahoo sports on October 11th, 2007. He's ready to coach a football program, he's coached here before and the fans love him period. If you don't like it than maybe you should go out and buy a copy of the Michigan State vs Nebraska Alamo Bowl game and watch the final seconds tick and listen to the crowd. Bo Pelini is the right choice whether you like it or not. WE WANT BO.

If that is the case, that is different, but I remember a very different story, in particular, when Phillip Dillard was being recruited. There was an article in the OWH that detailed his badmouthing and said that it did nothing but turn Dillard off to OU and Pelini. Dillard had no reason to lie about something like that. Bo may be the popular choice, but that doesn't make him the right choice. Yeah, I remember the chanting, I also remember the ranting. Whatever, bud. People don't want Callahan here, I don't want Bo.

Pelini was only the interim coach. He didn't lead them to a victory over 8-5 Michigan State. The Huskers were already 9-3. He filled in. Period.

However, here's some fun facts that no one has answered yet. Or even thought about. He admitted he wanted to be a head coach someday when he left Lincoln, and slid on over to Oklahoma as a DB / co-DC. There have been 58 job openings in major college football since 2005. 58 job opportunities. 58 resumes, possible interviews, chances. To be a head coach. So then, why did he not take any of them? Why did NO ONE hire him as the head coach? Since so many here want Bo, maybe you ought to think about that. Just b/c a guy runs after Bill Snyder and chews him out for scoring on his defense (his scheme is supposed to defend against the team with the ball, and stop the scoring), or gets flagged in his one opportunity as a head coach for Unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards to keep the MSU drive alive on 4th down, does not mean he is a fiery fun guy. I think it makes him look immature. Even an idiot. Someone who pouts.

Here's the list of schools that NO ONE hired him as the head coach. Look it over. Great opportunity everywhere. And no Bo.

2007 New coaches:

Air Force, Alabama, Arizona State, Army, Boston College, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Florida International, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, Miami (Fla.), Michigan State, Minnesota, North Carolina, NC State, North Texas, Rice, Stanford (again), Tulane, Tulsa, UAB.

2006 New coaches:

Boise State, Buffalo, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee, Northwestern, Rice, San Diego State, Temple, Wisconsin.

2005 New coaches:

BYU, East Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, LSU, Marshall, Miami (OH), Mississippi, UNLV, New Mexico St, Notre Dame, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, San Jose State, South Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse, Utah, Utah State, Washington, Western Michigan.

Pelini was only the interim coach. He didn't lead them to a victory over 8-5 Michigan State. The Huskers were already 9-3. He filled in. Period.

However, here's some fun facts that no one has answered yet. Or even thought about. He admitted he wanted to be a head coach someday when he left Lincoln, and slid on over to Oklahoma as a DB / co-DC. There have been 58 job openings in major college football since 2005. 58 job opportunities. 58 resumes, possible interviews, chances. To be a head coach. So then, why did he not take any of them? Why did NO ONE hire him as the head coach? Since so many here want Bo, maybe you ought to think about that. Just b/c a guy runs after Bill Snyder and chews him out for scoring on his defense (his scheme is supposed to defend against the team with the ball, and stop the scoring), or gets flagged in his one opportunity as a head coach for Unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yards to keep the MSU drive alive on 4th down, does not mean he is a fiery fun guy. I think it makes him look immature. Even an idiot. Someone who pouts.

Here's the list of schools that NO ONE hired him as the head coach. Look it over. Great opportunity everywhere. And no Bo.

2007 New coaches:

Air Force, Alabama, Arizona State, Army, Boston College, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Florida International, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, Miami (Fla.), Michigan State, Minnesota, North Carolina, NC State, North Texas, Rice, Stanford (again), Tulane, Tulsa, UAB.

2006 New coaches:

Boise State, Buffalo, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee, Northwestern, Rice, San Diego State, Temple, Wisconsin.

2005 New coaches:

BYU, East Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, LSU, Marshall, Miami (OH), Mississippi, UNLV, New Mexico St, Notre Dame, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh, San Jose State, South Carolina, Stanford, Syracuse, Utah, Utah State, Washington, Western Michigan.

Buzzkill on the bogasms!!!

How about neither?

My guess is that in the past 4/5 years and having worked for several different coaches Pelini has matured and has grown into the role and now understands what it means to be a coach at a big time university.

How about neither?

My guess is that in the past 4/5 years and having worked for several different coaches Pelini has matured and has grown into the role and now understands what it means to be a coach at a big time university.

If he does indeed end up here, I sure hope to hell you are right. The note he went out on was piss poor, to put it kindly. I am all for a guy who is fiery, but for God's sake you have to be mature enough to keep it in check if you are the head man.

Actually, is there anyway Turner Gill could be a OC under Pelini? He only makes 183,000 a year. So you would bring in the guy who would instantly make us better on Defense (not that it can get worst) and bring in Gill to run his hybrid option/WCO/power running game that people are writing about. We can be more than competitve instantly with a new attitude and simplier and more creative offense. Plus, we would get the feeling back.

Actually, is there anyway Turner Gill could be a OC under Pelini? He only makes 183,000 a year. So you would bring in the guy who would instantly make us better on Defense (not that it can get worst) and bring in Gill to run his hybrid option/WCO/power running game that people are writing about. We can be more than competitve instantly with a new attitude and simplier and more creative offense. Plus, we would get the feeling back.

I would go for that.

And I would think that moving from HC at Buffalo to OC at NU would be a step up.

Seriously, I think tunnel vision for picking the next HC would be a terrible mistake. Bo has his strengths but has some serious baggage...personnel issues, anger problems, etc. He might be the a great choice but not the right choice I think T Gill is definitely the wrong directions. Unlike BO, T Gill just doesn't really have his own track record....unlike BO who has been a successful D/C in multiple places...However...

I think a great guy to consider would be Chris Peterson, the head coach for Boise State. Great two year run as HC for a WAC school including getting BSU into a BCS bowl (where all he did was coach his team to a win over OU and there great D and big game coach Bob Stoopes in one of the greatest football games in college football history). Also was the OC during the period that got BSU on the football map. And he was nominated for top coordinator twice in his tenure as an OC. Would love to see what he could do at a a big time school with big time talent....Very Urban Meyer-like too....Young & innovative. Also come across as a guy with great character. Plus with TO as his AD...great voice of wisdom for a young guy to go to if need be. Anyway just a thought.

Ten days without internet and the whole world changes.

I really do not want Pelini, he would not be here long if he got us going I am afraid.

Gill does not have experience yet, is my guess. If TO was to stay on then maybe.

Anyone mentioned Joe Glen at Wyoming. He has worked some serious wonders everywhere he has been. He has a clause in his contract for Nebraska.

OU didn't have a great defense last year. It was just good by Soonmer standards. Hawkins is the author of the Boise success program, not Peterson and CU already has him. What is Boise doing this year? Pelini has only coached with superior talent, never coached with the lowewr personnel of a Baylor, Ole Miss, Stanford... If you are gong DCs, why not Patterson at TCU? He was atop Dc and he is a good coach that will run the ball and some option. He will be able to recruit Texas and he will bring the hardnosed, blue collar feel back to the school. He can hire a sound OC and staff that can recruit California, Missouri, Texas, Ohio and the SE.

He can't recruit, has only coached at top programs, menaing he has never had to work with lesser material like Stoops and Lavitt had to at KSU. He only coached at NU for a year. If you have athletes you can a have a defense, maybe that's why he hasn't taken jobs, but I think that some schools want a Pete Carroll/Mack Brown type that the alumns and big money boosters will like and that ain't Pelini. He can't recruit!

He can't recruit, has only coached at top programs, menaing he has never had to work with lesser material like Stoops and Lavitt had to at KSU. He only coached at NU for a year. If you have athletes you can a have a defense, maybe that's why he hasn't taken jobs, but I think that some schools want a Pete Carroll/Mack Brown type that the alumns and big money boosters will like and that ain't Pelini. He can't recruit!

I know his players would run through walls for him. That tells me that he can relate to the athletes--that's a huge part of recruiting. At least according to John Blake. He can learn, and if he finds assistants that can recruit as well, he'd be just fine.