Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

Sorry this jumps around a bit but i needed to say all of this.

Everyone keeps talking about "Ohh i want Pelini cause we need a denfensive minded coach" or "I dont want Pelini cause we need an offensive minded coach" and neither of these are well thought out. What we need is a coach to emphasize all three phases of the game. Along with that we dont necessarily need a great head coach but what we need is a good defensive minded coach and a good OC or visa versa. We need balance, you dont see championships teams with an unbeleivable defense and a terrible offense, and how many weeks has Texas Tech spent at the top of the polls lately. Look at the 2005 Tennessee Volunteers, they finished 7th in total defense and 2nd in rushing defense that year and overal in the column that really matter finished 5-6 and didnt even get to go bowling.

Ok having said that everyone has to realize we still live in Nebraska, and unlike almost every single other top notch program in the country we are not blessed with great highschool athletes in our backyard, or even our neighbors back yard. So this means we are not going to have the #1 recruiting class every year, TO probably never had a #1 recruiting, but he got the most out of his plaryers. That right there is what we need, a coach that can get his players to over-acheive, we need kids playing the best football of their lives while they are still in Lincoln Why do you think you hardly saw TO kids go to the NFL and suddenly blow up and just become All-Pro players, given i am sure there are a few here and there but overall TO's players played there best football while playing for TO. Great example, look at the all-time best NFL players you would be hard pressed to find one NU alum on that list, now look at the list of greatest college football players of all time and names like Johnny Rogers, Tommie Frazier, Mike Rozier pop into your head immediately.

Now the reason i think we need a guy like Bo Pelini is because it is much easier to get kids to overachieve on defense than it is to get offense players to play above their ability. If you take an offense and get them pumped up sometimes this doesnt work in your favor cause offense is about execution and know what to do on this play and what the snap count is. There are many more X's and O'x on offense so those kids need to be smart and know what they are doing. However, defense is about passion and heart, along with knowing where to go. You can have the best scheme in the world but if your kids arent passionate about playing then it really doesnt matter, but if you have 11 fierious kids out there running around they will make 10 times as many plays as those kids who just dont care, but know exactly where to be on every play. Every coach in college football can do a decent job of preparing week to week or they would be in college football, but the ones that are great can prepare their kids and then light a fire under their ass on saturday. Before a game you cant make a kid remember that play he is going to forget during this upcoming game because you dont know what play it is going to be and that is where offense is all about preparation and then when you are in the right spot natural ability to make the play. On defense though you can inspire a kid right before the game to want to go out there and just dominate the guy accross from him.

Anyway one coach is not going to make this program great again, every great coach is surround by great coaches. So i hope we not only get a great head coach(Bo Pelini) but also i hope he has some connections and can bring in great assistants and is very loyal to these guys so they dont jump ship for other oppurtunities.

You are right, it's gonna take a group of good coaches to turn this thing around. This is why Pelini gets my vote over Venebles or someone like that because he's now been a D coordinator or co D coordinator at 3 very good programs. He's made the connections with people that could help him out once he gets his HC gig.

If I am not mistaken, the best head coach in the Big 12 is a defensive coach. In fact, he is probably among the top five coaches in the nation. Does Bob Stoops ring a bell? No one knows for sure if Bo would be a decent HC, but it wouldn't be because he's a defensive coach. Didn't we have a defensive coach who won two NCs in 1970 and 1971? Does Bob Devaney ring a bell? Huh?

You are right, it's gonna take a group of good coaches to turn this thing around. This is why Pelini gets my vote over Venebles or someone like that because he's now been a D coordinator or co D coordinator at 3 very good programs. He's made the connections with people that could help him out once he gets his HC gig.

Good Lord, give it a rest. Bill Callahan is the Husker coach, and we will see what happens for the rest of the year. The last few weeks had to be sheer hell on BC, the coaching staff, and the players. Don't add to it.

Let the program work. Get a life, and don't add to the problems.

Good Lord, give it a rest. Bill Callahan is the Husker coach, and we will see what happens for the rest of the year. The last few weeks had to be sheer hell on BC, the coaching staff, and the players. Don't add to it.

I guess you enjoy the embarrassment this HC has brought to the program and also enjoyed the records fall under his tenure. Most of which had stood for over thirty years, mmmm, I wonder what makes someone believe this guy deserves the rest of the season to prove further that he is not the right man for this particular program.

It matters naught though, he will be gone, at years end.

I guess you enjoy the embarrassment this HC has brought to the program and also enjoyed the records fall under his tenure. Most of which had stood for over thirty years, mmmm, I wonder what makes someone believe this guy deserves the rest of the season to prove further that he is not the right man for this particular program.

It matters naught though, he will be gone, at years end.

I suppose that I am far more embarassed by "fans" such as yourself. Good lord, the team lost some games. There is more to life than tearing your hair out over such things. Believe it or not, there are people at NU that are far more intelligent than you insofar as coaching is concerned. Let them coach, and you can go back to your video games.

Give it a rest!?!?!?! In 4 years Callahan & Pederson managed to tear down what took us 50+ years to build...I don't give .02 about how hards it's been on him. Getting blown away @ homecoming was enough of this fiasco! Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

If I am not mistaken, the best head coach in the Big 12 is a defensive coach. In fact, he is probably among the top five coaches in the nation. Does Bob Stoops ring a bell? No one knows for sure if Bo would be a decent HC, but it wouldn't be because he's a defensive coach. Didn't we have a defensive coach who won two NCs in 1970 and 1971? Does Bob Devaney ring a bell? Huh?

How about Pete Carroll. He was a D coordinator long before he was ever a HC. I'm pretty sure he'd rank up in the top 5 right along with Stoops.

Give it a rest!?!?!?! In 4 years Callahan & Pederson managed to tear down what took us 50+ years to build...I don't give .02 about how hards it's been on him. Getting blown away @ homecoming was enough of this fiasco! Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

:yeah

Gimme a break. "Us"? What, were you an iron worker when the skyboxes went up? I think you are being a bit dramatic ala people in 04

Every time I begin to think about how hard it's been on him, I'm reminded of 1.75 million George Washingtons. You can tar and feather me, stone me, whatever for 1.75 George Washingtons. It's not like he hasn't been here before. Fans in Oakland were calling for his head. I know I've done things in my life before where I have failed, but never have I been paid millions for a job I didn't do!

I'll throw a few names up there.. .

Jim Leavitt---University of South Florida, pretty much took a piece of crap program and turned them into the #2 team in the nation... Also was a d coordinator at K State and I believe he was a LB coach for ahhhhhhhh someone.. can't remember the team.

Greg Schiano--Rutgers, again took a program that went down the crapper turned it around and made it very competitive.. very high energy..

That and I'll throw in the usuals...

Pelini

Muschamp....