Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

About 80% of our husker fans would love to see this guy on our sidelines next year.

Strong statement there. Is that a fact or a personal guess? Just wondering...

By the way, despite the constant rumors on this board, Dr. Tom will evaluate the coaching at the end of the season. He will decide their fate. Then he and/or the new perm AD will interview a ton of candidates & make the best choice. Why is that not clear?

Ladies and Gentleman, I am proud to annouce our new Head Coach for the 2008 Season............Mr Bo. Pelini. Guys please just give it a break......you hear more about this guy in newletters and sports articles.....every coach that you've guys have been posting about "Oh Nebraska should get this guy" or "No this guy will be the perfect fit for NU." Please Dr. Tom sees Bob Devaney in Bo Pelini so that's why he's looking at getting The Man, The Myth, The Legend Mr. Bo Pelini. Nebraska will be stupid if we let this guy slip through our fingers. And yes i'm Bogasm and you know what I could give a rats ass about it because I see talent and championships in the future with this guy.

Ladies and Gentleman, I am proud to annouce our new Head Coach for the 2008 Season............Mr Bo. Pelini. Guys please just give it a break......you hear more about this guy in newletters and sports articles.....every coach that you've guys have been posting about "Oh Nebraska should get this guy" or "No this guy will be the perfect fit for NU." Please Dr. Tom sees Bob Devaney in Bo Pelini so that's why he's looking at getting The Man, The Myth, The Legend Mr. Bo Pelini. Nebraska will be stupid if we let this guy slip through our fingers. And yes i'm Bogasm and you know what I could give a rats ass about it because I see talent and championships in the future with this guy.

No offense I doubt T.O thinks he see Devaney in Pelini. (Don't believe every e-mail you get) It's funny how many former Husker players know about whats going on but the ones that are in the media from the National Championship teams seem to know nothing about it.

Was T.O even in Nebraska when Pelini coached here? I thought he was just starting out as a congressman.

I wouldn't mind Pelini being named head coach but there will probably be a coaching search done before anything is decided.

No offense I doubt T.O thinks he see Devaney in Pelini. (Don't believe every e-mail you get) It's funny how many former Husker players know about whats going on but the ones that are in the media from the National Championship teams seem to know nothing about it.

Was T.O even in Nebraska when Pelini coached here? I thought he was just starting out as a congressman.

I wouldn't mind Pelini being named head coach but there will probably be a coaching search done before anything is decided.

I agree that it would be a mistake to jump the gun to early on a head coach before really looking at other options, but I have to admit that I was very impressed with Coach Pelini's defensive adjustments at halftime tonight!

I want Bo Pelini now as well and that is who I am backing. He can bring a lock down defense back to Nebraska and with a great defense, you have a chance in every game. I think we will never be USC or Florida on offense but I do think Bo has the potential to build the best defense in the country. A great defense along with a solid, top notch offense will win games and championships. We need a great offensive coordinator hire to compliment Bo. Not sure who this might be right now but this hire will be just as important. I'd consider Gill as OC but not HC.

I just think we would not be able to bring in another offensive minded coach after Callahan. If it were an offensive minded coach, I think Peterson at Boise St. would be best choice...he seems to have great ability for offensive game...but then again we would need a great defensive coordinator to compliment him (maybe Peterson with Venables from OU as DC?). I don't see Tedford from Cal...he likes Cal and Cal is not defensive minded...would not be good here. Sarkisian at USC would be a reach IMO...he has great talent at USC but don't think he could come in and manage the head job at NU...he'd be overwhelmed. Norm Chow is extremely talented and a great teacher/mentor but I don't see him bringing the energy needed for our situation...too much like Cally as X's and O's guy. I don't really like the Big East guys and am not willing to take a chance on a Leavitt from So. Florida or Kelly from Cincy just because they cracked the top 10 one year. Schiano from Rutgers is probably the one I would consider closest but I have heard him interviewed and it sounds like he loves Rutgers and would not leave. Muschamp from Auburn would get consideration and he could be interesting choice. Please say no to Franchione! Applewhite...perhaps a raise to be OC here but no way he could handle HC here at NU right now IMO. Joe Glenn from Wyoming? Not sure...would he come in a coordinator role? Patterson from TCU is another guy I might consider and perhaps Johnson from Navy.

When I look at all these guys...Pelini is the most exciting to me. He has been here before and now Pud is gone so there is no longer issue there. He has proven himself now and I don't think he is as big a question mark as he was back 4 years ago. You are going to get maximum effort from Pelini and in turn that is what he will require from his players. I think TO has got to like that aspect about him very much.

Bring back Bo!

Go ahead and tear this comment apart..but for some reason I want someone unknown. Someone who isn't wanted by every school but rather someone that Tom Osborne sees potential in that no one else does. I just think having a coach that began his career here would be great for tradition. Call me unrealisitic and so on, but thats what i think.

Well...Osborne himself was a newcomer to the HC game when he took over. Maybe you have something. It would be awful risky though.

Husker Faithful,

I have been thinking about what to write, but I have been struggling to find words or a good explanation for what has become of the Big Red Machine...

Over many hours of discussion, I have come to the following conclusions:

1 - The Search Committee (aka Dr. Tom) needs to build a criteria for the next HC.

Here is mine:

A - Must be a proven winner. Winning breeds more winning, he doesn't need to necessarily be a major school HC, BUT he must be surrounded by winning, whether it be a coordinator from Florida or a HC from UNI, he must come from a culture of winning.

B - Young, enthusiastic and family oriented

C - Must understand running and putting in place a dynamic offense, if Mizzou and Tech can win, imagine what a great defense can do to bolster there chances of winning week in and week out.

D - MUST be able to effectively recruit in the South, Florida and/or Cali

2 - The Search Committee should pursue and interview the candidates that fall into these categories under the radar. After meeting with them, if they like them, put them on the short list

3 - After all the "under the radar" candidates are weeded out, then begin talking to obvious replacements and weed them out.

4 - Meet the Final 4 in Memphis or some random town and have final interviews and contract talks, find out there specific staff wants and what recruits they could bring with them from the school they are leaving.

5 - MAKE THE HIRE!

My list of "under the radar" guys would include:

Farley from UNI

Peterson from Boise State

Strong from Florida

Muschamp from Auburn

Mullen from Florida

My front runner is Strong for the following reasons:

1 - Has access to Florida recruits

2 - Has access to Urban Meyer's dynamic offense and could bring a position coach or two with him

3 - Young, full of energy, coaches one of the fastest, most aggressive D's in the country

4 - WINNER!!! Understands winning and what it takes to win consistently

5 - Has access to Southern, black families (can't hide from this...recruits said "no thanks" to Frankie, Dr. Tom was on another level!! He shows you have to be able to get in good with these recruits)

I also love the potential of Peterson...Boise fans have said he ran the show even when Hawkins was there! Plus he POUNDS THE ROCK!!!! He has access to Cali athletes and great relationships with high school coaches up in no-man's land

I will admit, I don't have all the answers or time to research every "under the radar" candidate, but I bring up these points because I fear we will follow the past mistakes that OU and UT committed by continually rewarding the "old regime" for staying loyal. Put me down for a NO on Turner Gill...he needs to prove himself on the miniscule stage that is Buffalo before he is even considered for the Nebraska job...ALSO, we need to be cautious with BO! I say this because I don't think he has strong enough relationships at his former jobs to bring in a fully qualified staff that understands BO completely, could turn into a revolving door at the coordinator and position coaching spots....

Everyone has their opinion, I just hope the Husker Nation proceeds slowly and thinks outside the box!!!

Why would they meet in Memphis or a random city? This part I just don't understand.

I just want the interviewing/hiring process to be low key and under the radar, much like Iowa State did it. I don't want another fiasco where the Husker Jet touches down in Fayetteville, and the whole town knows within a half hour! Iowa State's AD did the meetings in Dallas, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a hole in the wall town...

Coaches Hot seat has Paul Johnson from Navy as a good fit for Nebraska. Anyone have thoughts about him as a HC?

I like the idea of Peterson from Boise State...his teams play well and the guy always seem to be part of the energy on the sidelines.

Didn't Peterson from Boise State get into a shootout with Nevada? I'm not so sure he's as defensive minded as everyone would like to believe.