Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

Why would they meet in Memphis or a random city? This part I just don't understand.

I just want the interviewing/hiring process to be low key and under the radar, much like Iowa State did it. I don't want another fiasco where the Husker Jet touches down in Fayetteville, and the whole town knows within a half hour! Iowa State's AD did the meetings in Dallas, so it doesn't necessarily have to be a hole in the wall town...

I have no worries about the dignity of the process. This is TO running it, and I dont think anyone can say he does anything in an undignified manner. But as far as when it comes to face to face interviews, it will be very hard to keep people from knowing. If TO goes somewhere, media will follow him, and if people are going to be flown in, the media will be watching that too.

As to the criteria, I fully agree with coming from a culture of winning. I am a proponent of hiring a OC or DC from a team that is in the championship hunt every year. I am more skeptical of taking mid-major coaches and moving them to the big boys. Just seems to be more failures from the mid major guys when they go BCS.

I think the main reason people have Paul Johnson listed as a 'good fit' is simply because Navy runs the option, more in the vein of the way TO ran it, but I dont think the option needs to be a requirement for the job.

Husker Faithful,

I have been thinking about what to write, but I have been struggling to find words or a good explanation for what has become of the Big Red Machine...

Over many hours of discussion, I have come to the following conclusions:

1 - The Search Committee (aka Dr. Tom) needs to build a criteria for the next HC.

Here is mine:

A - Must be a proven winner. Winning breeds more winning, he doesn't need to necessarily be a major school HC, BUT he must be surrounded by winning, whether it be a coordinator from Florida or a HC from UNI, he must come from a culture of winning.

B - Young, enthusiastic and family oriented

C - Must understand running and putting in place a dynamic offense, if Mizzou and Tech can win, imagine what a great defense can do to bolster there chances of winning week in and week out.

D - MUST be able to effectively recruit in the South, Florida and/or Cali

2 - The Search Committee should pursue and interview the candidates that fall into these categories under the radar. After meeting with them, if they like them, put them on the short list

3 - After all the "under the radar" candidates are weeded out, then begin talking to obvious replacements and weed them out.

4 - Meet the Final 4 in Memphis or some random town and have final interviews and contract talks, find out there specific staff wants and what recruits they could bring with them from the school they are leaving.

5 - MAKE THE HIRE!

My list of "under the radar" guys would include:

Farley from UNI

Peterson from Boise State

Strong from Florida

Muschamp from Auburn

Mullen from Florida

My front runner is Strong for the following reasons:

1 - Has access to Florida recruits

2 - Has access to Urban Meyer's dynamic offense and could bring a position coach or two with him

3 - Young, full of energy, coaches one of the fastest, most aggressive D's in the country

4 - WINNER!!! Understands winning and what it takes to win consistently

5 - Has access to Southern, black families (can't hide from this...recruits said "no thanks" to Frankie, Dr. Tom was on another level!! He shows you have to be able to get in good with these recruits)

I also love the potential of Peterson...Boise fans have said he ran the show even when Hawkins was there! Plus he POUNDS THE ROCK!!!! He has access to Cali athletes and great relationships with high school coaches up in no-man's land

I will admit, I don't have all the answers or time to research every "under the radar" candidate, but I bring up these points because I fear we will follow the past mistakes that OU and UT committed by continually rewarding the "old regime" for staying loyal. Put me down for a NO on Turner Gill...he needs to prove himself on the miniscule stage that is Buffalo before he is even considered for the Nebraska job...ALSO, we need to be cautious with BO! I say this because I don't think he has strong enough relationships at his former jobs to bring in a fully qualified staff that understands BO completely, could turn into a revolving door at the coordinator and position coaching spots....

Everyone has their opinion, I just hope the Husker Nation proceeds slowly and thinks outside the box!!!

Personally I would rather see a defensive minded coach as opposed to an offensive minded one. Defense wins championships. And until you are solid on 'D' the offense you run makes no difference. I do like the choices, but I'm partial to Bo Pelini. He's always been associated w/winning. Has great recruiting ties to the South, and has the fire and intensity IMO to get the job done. He's been an assistant for 5 years and I believe he's ready. :-)

No matter who it is, I'm hoping it's defensive minded guy. :)

We need an offensive minded coach that can hire good DC, like Urban Meyer, Spurier, Tressel, Tedford, all have done. Dennis Erickson is an offensive coach, but he always has great defenses. Pelini does not have the type of personality to draw kids, its just something about him... I just don't thinbk he's the clean, midwestern image that Dr. tom was, and I think we need someone like that, but if we go defense, why not Venables? He's young... I think we are gonna go Alabama and take a proven NFL coach. Butch Davis would have been perfect!

I don't get this. Your saying not to hire a guy whos had success wherever he's been as a d- coordinater (pelini), but to hire another d-coordinator as our HC who Oklahoma fans don't even think is a good coach.(venables) I don't see your point. I'll take pelini over venables any day

Pelini over Venables any day. Mauschamp over Venables any day. Pelini over Mauschamp any day!

I just want him to be more successful, which I think he can be. The quickest way for us to be back on top is these coaches stay, but the necessary changes are made (whatever those might be) so that our program can be a success. I have two reasons:

1. This year's recruiting class stays together. Any way you slice it, any way it happens, new coach equals new assistants which means all ties to this class are lost. This WILL equal a poor recruiting class (re-listen to TO's PC and he agrees with me).

2. Minimal transfers. Yes, these coaches have probably pissed some people off, and some transfers will occur. New coaches will mean more transfers which will mean more time to get the talent back.

I remember in the late 80's/early 90's when our D got consistently embarassed by the speed of the southern teams in bowl games (Florida schools specifically). We made changes that led to National Championships, and wow, we made these without any coaching changes. THAT is what I'd like to happen.

I just give it about a 0.1% of happening.

Have these coaches proven that these recruits will live up to their hype? NO!

Start over, build on the guys you have in the program and salvage what you can of the current class and be ready to go after kids that have the heart to play at Nebraska, not just 4 or 5 stars behind their names!

I was impressed with the way Bo got a team in turmoil ready for the bowl. For me that gives him the edge over other DC's. Plus I think he would bring Marvin back. Knows the Stoops-boys, may manage to bring Mike in.

Chris Peterson's O at Boise is well balanced and has been money for years. They very rarely lose to teams of their own talent-level. Dude totally schooled Bob in the bowl.

Jim Grobe, dude is winning in a BCS-conference at Wake Forest. That is very tough to do.

Brian Kelley from Cinci, a great coach but unfortunately he, rather than Les, may be the next Mich-coach. He'd be a good get but a very hard one.

Leavitt and Schiano aren't happening. Both have already turned-down bigtime offers to stay with their babies.

Muschamp is a first-rate DC. But I'd prefer Bo because I've seen more of what he can do.

Jerry Moore would be a good consideration if he wasn't already old enough to get social security. We need a long-term coach.

Come next year this would be a really good coaching staff and I would like some insight to this list or if you guys have any others in mind.

Bo Pelini: Head Coach

Mike Stoops: Defensive Coordinator

Shawn Watson: Offensive Coordinator

Will Shields: O-line Coach

Tom Rathman: Running Back Coach

Scott Frost or Tunner Gill: Quarterback Coach

Buddy Wyatt: Defensive Line Coach

Come next year this would be a really good coaching staff and I would like some insight to this list or if you guys have any others in mind.

Bo Pelini: Head Coach

Mike Stoops: Defensive Coordinator

Shawn Watson: Offensive Coordinator

Will Shields: O-line Coach

Tom Rathman: Running Back Coach

Scott Frost or Tunner Gill: Quarterback Coach

Buddy Wyatt: Defensive Line Coach

OOPPSS i miss spelled Turner Gill my bad

Scott Frost has never coached quarterbacks.

Tuner Gill would not leave a head coaching job to be an assistant here again.

Will Shields has never coached football.

True on the Scott Frost thing but Will Shields come on the guy is a legend in his position. He's an NFL Hall of Famer and he can teach offensive lineman a lot of great tips and techniques.

I guess I'll ask...what has Buddy Wyatt and Shawn Watson done to merit their retention? What has Randy Jordan done to get replaced?

I think Watson has been successful in past years and this is his first year. remember CU beating NU 63-36 or whatever it was? That was Watson as OC. Wyatt I think has good recruiting ties they are giving him the benefit of the doubt since this is a young D-line.