just once i'da like to have seen it

I am I

I know Callahan has some numbered days. I know coaches are different from each other and do things that fit their personality. I know he does have emotions because he is human.

But why, why couldn't he or ANY of his assistants ever showed 1/10th of the emotion and fire of the coaches in the game Rutgers v USF last nite? Even with their jobs on the line this year and everything, there has been a lack of emtional leadership in interviews, on the sidelines, or in huddles. Maybe it's not Callahan's task to run wind sprints before the game or give gnarly scowls at officials and players; but he doesn't even show emotion when the good things happen.

Is it more of the 'professional' atmosphere around here or is it just his style, or is it just me who needs to let it be?

T.O. never showed a lot of emotion, but he was clearly a college coach and had the resepct of the team. I think Callahan came in here with an attitude that this was going to be an NFL farm club or something and treated it like a business. I'm sure that attitude was fostered by Pederson as well and it just doesn't work.

I know Callahan has some numbered days. I know coaches are different from each other and do things that fit their personality. I know he does have emotions because he is human.

But why, why couldn't he or ANY of his assistants ever showed 1/10th of the emotion and fire of the coaches in the game Rutgers v USF last nite? Even with their jobs on the line this year and everything, there has been a lack of emtional leadership in interviews, on the sidelines, or in huddles. Maybe it's not Callahan's task to run wind sprints before the game or give gnarly scowls at officials and players; but he doesn't even show emotion when the good things happen.

Is it more of the 'professional' atmosphere around here or is it just his style, or is it just me who needs to let it be?

I don't necessarily expect Callahan to be running around like crazy all game, but every assistant coach needs to be injecting emotion into these players the entire game. Also, when something needs addressed, and the assistants aren't getting any results....the HEAD COACH needs to make his presence felt. If no results then, get someone on the field who will.

But, like you said, with their jobs on the line, the coaches have been just as flat as ever. Kind of resembles the 22 flat guys on the field, huh?

TO didnt show alot of emotion, but he didnt have to. He commanded the respect of his players, who in turn would do anything he asked of them. I like to compare his calm, cool, collectivness to the calming before a storm. He new his team was better, his team new they were better and that confidence showed on the field.

TO was a once in a lifetime coach, and i am creaming my pants now that he is our AD.

i know Osborne didn't show a lot of emotion but his assistants did. I don't really care for a guy acting like stoops or Spurrier all the time, but give me an OUNCE of the guy from Okie state, the pinky finger off of Rutgers, or a little of Eric Bienemy's enthusiasm.

As the ship is going down this year, here's Callahan and Coz acting like robots.

I must be one of the old guys on the board. Tom Osborne at one point showed plenty of emotion on the sideline. I can remember a number of games when Tom went off on officials. In the 1982 Missouri game it was only Tom's headset (and the cord attached) that kept him from running onto the field. Watch "A Day in the Life of Nebraska Football." Several times during the 97 Oklahoma game Tom was chewing on players and officials. This was in an one sided game. How many times did we used to hear about the "red veiners" at halftime. Tom Osborne knew when and where to show emotion. Just because he is basically a quiet individual, and preceived as somewhat boring in the media. It is not reason to say he was not emotional. I think he could motivate an individual or a team just as much as any "emotional leader" around. I would throw Tom's passion put into coaching football up against just about anyone.

tomosbornecoach3.jpg

Exactly. Coach Osborne had fiery assistants, though. He was the immovable center, and shaped the things around him. Stories about McBride getting in people's faces, yelling, raising hell, etc. show that TO was aware that he needed someone with fire to be his foil.

I must be one of the old guys on the board. Tom Osborne at one point showed plenty of emotion on the sideline. I can remember a number of games when Tom went off on officials. In the 1982 Missouri game it was only Tom's headset (and the cord attached) that kept him from running onto the field. Watch "A Day in the Life of Nebraska Football." Several times during the 97 Oklahoma game Tom was chewing on players and officials. This was in an one sided game. How many times did we used to hear about the "red veiners" at halftime. Tom Osborne knew when and where to show emotion. Just because he is basically a quiet individual, and preceived as somewhat boring in the media. It is not reason to say he was not emotional. I think he could motivate an individual or a team just as much as any "emotional leader" around. I would throw Tom's passion put into coaching football up against just about anyone.

Damn it! That's true too. It reminds me of my HS coaches. The head coach/OC was almost always calm. The DC was always yelling and swearing and going crazy. But while the DC could get you and keep you on fire, if the HC yelled at you, you remembered. It hit you hard because you knew that you did something really wrong and had better pull your head out.