What game told you that Cally wasn't the answer?

The first time I really started to question him as a coach was the 2004 Iowa State game. That year Iowa State had a much stonger pass defense than a rush defense but Callahan was determined to have Dailey come out winging it 42 times (18 completions). Iowa State's end of season pass defense was 20th and rushing was 46th. I'm certain going into that game they were much lower than 46th and Nebraska helped them improve those stats due to the game plan. Result: Iowa State 34 Nebraska 27.

I had faith in Callahan coming into this year but lost it all with the Missouri game.

How about the OU game where they had like a top 5 run defense but weren't that highly rated in their pass D. We pounded and pounded and pounded the rock without really ever trying to pass and lost I believe 30-3. Also, we should have known when he made the comment about his offense taking what we want. IMO, his stubborness and actually believing we would take what we wanted led to the drumming against Texas Tech. He was convinced we could pass on them and was hell bent on proving that.

A good coach takes what he has and works the best he can with it. A poor coach takes what he has and tries to make them do things they're not capable of doing. Joe Dailey was never a drop back passer. I mean come on he was only like 5'9. The most disappointing thing to me with regards to his WCO is the fact that he never really uses his fullback or his tight end. Bill Walsh used Rathman quite a bit, and he also used his TE quite a bit. I never really understood why BC never used his.

Up until the USC game, I thought we had a decent team this year.

But then Callahan gave up it seemed like in the 2nd quarter. Then we barely beat Ball State. I was angry then, but it wasn't until they got their asses handed to them by Missouri (a game that I was at, btw) that I wanted the entire coaching staff gone

For Cosgrove: Oklahoma last year.

Callahan: Missouri this year.

Both of those games showed ineptitude, but the games aren't what concern me as much as how we play them anymore. Heartless football, destroyed tradition, lack of respect. There are some asses that need kicked right off this team and I mean today. Starting with McKeon. Our new coach had better put the fear of God into some of these loudmouths.

X

Every loss or poor performance made me wonder. I stuck with him untill Missori this year.. albeit less of a supporter after the wake forest game, less after Ball state and Iowa State. Gave up on him after Mizzou.

I figured I'd suspend judgement on him until this year, given all of the problems and anger surrounding FS's firing and the system change and all. But by now, whether he's a BCS contender or not he should have a very strong team going. Guy get's paid a lot of money to run this team so it's not unfiar to expect results. These guys should be rollin.

If this is the best he can do in year 4, then he isn't the guy. See ya later Bill.

I was optimistic all the way until the USC game this year. Call me ignorant but I really wanted to believe this was going to work out. But when the team gave up about 3 days before kick off, that shot all hopes down. They never thought they would win and played that way. They had no fire and no intesity and it was just sickening. We didn't get beat we laid down and died a little. And it hasn't been any better since. In my eyes that was the bottom and the rut we are in.

Although there were games every season that made me scratch my head I really thought the progress would continue this year. A couple of Alamo Bowls, move up to Big 12 championship game and Cotton Bowl last season, I figured Big 12 Championship game for sure again this year until I saw the Wake game and I figured something was wrong and then listened to the Ball State game and knew something was wrong. I know both of those games were wins but when your team performs badly in games you are supposed to win big I think that tells you more about problems then getting blown out by USC which in a way some could understand.

Not to toot my own horn here, but the instant I knew he wasn't the answer was when Peterson said these words:

"Without further adieu, I'd like to introduce Nebraska's next football coach, Bill Callahan"

or something like that.

Granted I will say that I am a huge Bronco fan and really him being a Raider set it off for me.

I haven't followed this as closely as some of you guys but I think year before last when many of our records fell I had doubts about "rebuilding" just being an excuse. Sure, BC was looking for a different sort of player but I had questions cuz it seemed things were worse than they should have been. A good coach makes the best of what he has. However, I was hoping things would turn around and last year showed some positives. The nail on the coffin for me this year was that I felt we should have played USC tougher, not necessarily win, but we were never in it. I thought Wake was probably a pretty decent team and then Ball St. really made me wonder. I felt like the USC was a forecast for the rest of the season. Things have just snowballed out of control now, so it's hard to judge anything. But, bottom line is the football program is BC's responsibility. He picked Cosgrove and if the team moral is in the tank it's still the coach's responsibility, and BC is the head coach.

I cannot believe how truly awful the defensive play has been.