What game told you that Cally wasn't the answer?

In hindsight, I guess the idea that Callahan "said all the right things" to a guy that never stopped smiling and just seemed to be so full of it that his eyes were brown (pedey) should have made me realize that he was just a scammer. We all knew it--but we were sick of seeing an anemic offense under Solich, and a QB that couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

We wanted to believe that a real offense could exist at NU--one that if we got down by 10 points, we'd actually have a chance at a comeback.

The Auburn game last year.

The fake punt on our own, what- 30 yard line?

That could have been the worst call I've ever seen. I don't care what anyone says about "if it would have worked". It didn't work, and even if it did, it would have been a horrible, extremely risky and unneccessary call. I would never have called it "gutsy" - it was just vanilla flavored stupid. Auburn couldn't move the ball on us at all, but they only had to move the ball about 20 yards to get their first two scores. Then when he didn't even TRY the field goal at the end... Given the last few weeks, I'm beginning to think that Callahan has a thing against kicking field goals- like he doesn't believe in them or something.

Anyway, that was the first game that I just didn't even get excited about. I felt like we were going to lose because of some bonehead call before the game even started.

*Also, since Callahan's second year of coaching me and my friends have always joked that the game was decided by halftime- if we were down the game was over and we lost. It has still held true to this day. Last week against A&M when Marlon stayed on his feet and inbounds, eliminating any chance of a field goal before halftime, I knew the game was over, even though we were only down 14-16.

I must admit I have been unsure about him since that Texas Tech disaster, but was willing to give him four to six years to build the program. However, he totally lost me after the Missouri game. How can you continue to be patient when you see a meltdown in front of your eyes. And we may not have even hit rock bottom yet.

For me it was a little later...it was the missouri game this year. I was always positive and found excuses to defend him to everyone and I just got tired of it after that game when he gave me no reason to support him as coach anymore. It took me a while but I saw the light!

I'm with you. I knew it would take time to build a team back up after FS got the boot. And I was willing to be patient. But this year should have been the break-out year, even after loosing some good players from last year. And the USC game... well they were the #1 team in the country right? But after that nightmare in Mizzou, the scarlet colored glasses fell right off my face, and I could see clear as day that Billy just plain sucked.

His first year was a nightmare. I did give Coach Callahan the benefit of the doubt though since he had Joe Dailey. I started to waiver in 2005 after of all things beating a poor Kansas State team at home. After that game Coach acted like we had just won a come from behind game against the New England Patriots. I finally had had enough last year at Los Angeles. We played to not get blown out. Not to win!! I have not been impressed since. The Cotton Bowl last year was a disaster. No way in the world we should have lost that game.

I would be interested in hearing when the "tide of hope" turned south for everyone. For me, honestly, it was in 2004 at the "ABOMINATION IN LUBBOCK".

First season of new offense, incorrect skill players, blah blah blah. There was NO REASON for that beat down and I watched those Nebraska players LAY DOWN for that coach right there in front of my eyes, against a very MEDIOCRE team. I told my wife on the way home from that nightmare "This deal isn't going to have a happy ending."

And I'm still pissed about that debacle. Always will be. Cally should be ashamed.

Texas Tech. He just gave up and let them blow us out. Back then, I thought he was doing it to teach his detractors a lesson about how "bad" his quarterbacks were. "Oh, you don't like JD? I'll make the young backup throw pass after pass." He blew that game up himself. If he *didn't* give up or do it intentionally, it shows that he has no ability to adjust to his player's strenghts.

Now I have never really supported Callahan except maybe after 2005 when they beat Colorado and Michigan I thought that we were on the right track. But after the poor coaching performances in 2006, I thought that we would only probably win around 8 or 9 games every year with him and never really contend for championships. But I knew after the Ball State game this year that he was in trouble and needed to be fired.

The first time I really started to question him as a coach was the 2004 Iowa State game. That year Iowa State had a much stonger pass defense than a rush defense but Callahan was determined to have Dailey come out winging it 42 times (18 completions). Iowa State's end of season pass defense was 20th and rushing was 46th. I'm certain going into that game they were much lower than 46th and Nebraska helped them improve those stats due to the game plan. Result: Iowa State 34 Nebraska 27.

I had faith in Callahan coming into this year but lost it all with the Missouri game.

Irregardless of the mess were in right now, I never liked him as a NFL coach and thought he was a poor choice 4 years ago.

If you just watched closely as he put his staff together (and who he was showing the door) it was all about the good ol' boy system...who he owed a favor to, who stroked him in the past, who his friends were etc....everyone was tied to him in some way shape or form!

I'm sure he's probably a good human being & probably a pretty good dad but I can't stand him as a head coach.