Callahan's comments about T.O.

I'm guessing Callahan doesn't have a lot of respect for T.O....

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Oct 29, 2007 - 06:51:25 pm CDT

Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne, in a statement released Monday, clarified his comment in which he referenced “the new coaching staff” during an interview with an Omaha television station last week.

When asked by KETV (Channel 7) anchor Jon Schuetz about bringing the walk-on program to old levels, Osborne responded:

“Well, that will depend somewhat on the new coaching staff, because they have to implement, and I can’t coach from the athletic director’s position.”

The statement, released by Nebraska associate athletic director for communications Randy York, said Osborne tried to make the point that any “new” staff working for the first time with him — including the current coaches — would implement the walk-on program, not him.

“From the first hour I was named interim athletic director, I have said that no decision has been made about the current coaching staff, and the current coaching staff has my full support through the rest of the season,” Osborne said. “I have contacted no coach about our head coaching position. I am very firm in my decision to wait until the end of the season to complete my evaluation. Anything that has been reported contrary to that position is not accurate.”

York said Sunday that Osborne’s response was hypothetical in nature, and that he was responding to a hypothetical question.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan, speaking on Monday’s Big 12 coaches’ teleconference, also responded to Osborne’s original comment.

“I’ll just say this: I’m led to believe that Tom is a man of his word,” Callahan said. “Everyone’s told me his word means quite a bit, he’s a man of his word, and he’s got great integrity, so I think that you would have to address Tom on that.”

The problem here is alot of rumors start flying around and the press starts asking questions which causes a rift between T.O. and Cally that is obviously already there and doesn't need help getting larger.

If you're happy with giving Callahan more time to destroy us.

callihan = match

media = gasoline.

can you imagine if this guy worked in NYC?

Don't expect anything to happen on the 23rd....they will make it look like they honestly gave him consideration and their mind wasn't made up already...besides, just think of how the rumor will be flying on here...they can sit back and laugh their butt off at all the silliness that will go on with the speculation.

This whole "new coaching staff" incident is so ridiculous. Obviously from T.O.'s perspective the current coaching staff IS new.

Your right but we all know how the media loves to exploit everything.

Look in the bag fellas. The cat is gone. TO has let it out. The guy is human. Once you have decided something, it is hard to live and speak like you haven't yet. You will slip up.

This whole "new coaching staff" incident is so ridiculous. Obviously from T.O.'s perspective the current coaching staff IS new.

Your right but we all know how the media loves to exploit everything.

You really believe this?!? The media did not even pick up on this until long after it was up on this and other boards. Yes, this coaching staff is new to Dr. Tom, but watching the interview, it did not appear that he was referring to Callahan and company.

Regardless, he has come back to 'clarify' his statement. Maybe it was an honest mistake, maybe this is damage control, who knows...but the media did not exploit this...people on the message boards (myself included) jumped on it when we heard/saw the interview.