Where will Kansas be in about 5 years?

Who knows? KU wont play a ranked team all year.

I'm assuming you think Mizzou is going to completely tank? I would think Mizzou will be ranked when they play. If KU takes care of business and makes the Big 12 title game, I'm pretty sure OU will be ranked. It would really make for an interesting BCS if KU would happen to win out for the rest of the year. I don't think they can, but this year has taught me that anything can happen.

We probably will NEVER see the success that we did year after year in previous years. The cut in the number of scholarships have really hurt the schools that were powers year after year. Parity is here, gentlemen, like it or not.

Thats where a little thing called 'the walk-on program' comes into play. There may be 100 kids that want to play for Nebraska but were never recruited. Some of those kids might be good. You give them a chance to walk-on and who knows maybe you get depth and skilled players that shine.

I guess I am the type that thinks a fan of a 4-5 team has little room to talk about a team that is 8-0 or 9-0 which ever it is. I give them the props they deserve. I also believ that we will get back to beating them on a regular basis, but this year they have played better than we have all the way around.

I still cant believe we are 4-5. I hope we dont go to 4-6. :o

:bang

Kansas is having a fine season and they are clearly a really good team, however they won't last.

Unfortunately even though they are undefeated and ranked 8th in the country, this weeks game against us will be their first sellout since last season's home finale against Kansas State. In fact even though the average attendance has gone up the past three years, they still average nearly 8,000 fans fewer than the stadium holds.

The fact is Kansas is still the second school in its own state both in fan base and in funds (in fact KU has the third smallest athletic budget and is tied with Baylor for the second worst football budget in the conference) Plus they are still far below mediocre as far as getting kids in Kansas and the surrounding states to play for them when they have offers to one or more of the other Bowl Subdivision regional schools.

As good as KU has been this year there is little hope of them continuing the trend over the long haul. Mangino is not going to stay at KU forever, quite soon, possibly as soon as this off season bigger name teams are going to come calling - especially if Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden ever decide to retire as Mangino is a Penn Native and coached for Bowden at FSU. Plus there is no guarantee Mangino will continue to have success with the recruits he is getting now that the North is getting stronger. Colorado is on the rise, KSU is still tough, Missouri is tough and NU once they get a new coach will be very tough once again.

KU has had this trend before, they have a good year every 10-15 years and than they have to start all over again. I see nothing new from them in terms of support that leads me to believe this time will be any different.

I am of the opinion that mangino is an EXCELLENT coach, and so is their defensive coordinator. It is too bad that no matter what, he will be discriminated against for his weight when being considered for future openings at better programs.Although, any university that hired him would be taking an enormous risk on him, due to his health. Ill tell ya this, you can guarantee that mangino will have the stomach staple surgery in the near future.

Anyways, if I am not mistaken, he has a very lucrative contract......he was even making more than Bill Self for a couple years, until Self recently got his extension....

So, we will be dealing with Mangino for many years......which is not a good thing for us. Id love it if Nebraska hired him....but there's no chance.

Of all the coaches that have been thrown out as possible replacements at Nebraska(to a position that isn't open yet), Mangino is a better candidate than pretty much everyone that has been listed. KU rarely has top 40 recruiting classes, but yet the last 3-4 years, their program is getting stronger and stronger and they give NU fits. I think the attitude that "Kansas will always be Kansas" is not only arrogant, but ignorant. Mangino is a damn good football coach and has people in Kansas excited about football, not just following it until basketball starts.

I would have no problems with Mangino coaching at NU myself. The appearance thing is a little disturbing but his results have not been.

Who knows? KU wont play a ranked team all year.

I'm assuming you think Mizzou is going to completely tank? I would think Mizzou will be ranked when they play. If KU takes care of business and makes the Big 12 title game, I'm pretty sure OU will be ranked. It would really make for an interesting BCS if KU would happen to win out for the rest of the year. I don't think they can, but this year has taught me that anything can happen.

I did mean the regular season. Mizzou is notorious for tanking in Nowinber.

Who the hell cares what the man looks like? KU IS UNDEFEATED!! that is something we NEVER thought we would hear. I would pick Mangino over almost any other reasonable candidate for the NU job.

Funny..Mark Mangino explodes-ENHANCED AUDIO..."I'm gonna put you in ma belly"

6JU7Fri1xfo

"Not so fast, My Friend"-(in my Lee Corso voice).

Mark Thomas Mangino (born August 26, 1956 in New Castle, Pennsylvania) is the head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks college football team. In 2005, he led them to victory in the Fort Worth Bowl.

Mangino is one of only five NCAA Division I-A football coaches who did not play college football.

* 2004 Kansas-Texas game

In 2004, Mangino paid a $5,000 fine for suggesting that officials acted with favoritism in an offensive pass interference call that affected the outcome of a game against Texas. Mangino implied that money and a BCS berth for the Big 12 Conference influenced the officials to make a call in favor of Texas. He and athletic director Lew Perkins issued public apologies the day after the incident.

* NCAA penalties and probation

In 2006, the NCAA found five major violations including academic fraud had been committed by members of the Jayhawk football program under Mark Mangino. These major violations, along with four others from other sports contributed to the NCAA charging the Kansas University Athletics with "lack of institutional control". A graduate assistant was found to have supplied answers to correspondence courses being taken by potential athletes. As a result, the football team was limited for two years in its recruitment of junior college transfers, and lost two scholarships for each of the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

* High school referee incident

During a high school football game, Mark Mangino was documented screaming and cursing at a high school referee for missing a call in which his son was involved. Mangino was asked to leave the game but refused. Security was called and Mangino was removed from the game. Mangino has been since banned from all Lawrence High School athletic events.[1]

* Raimond Pendleton incident

In 2007, during the season opener against the Central Michigan Chippewas, KU's Raimond Pendleton returned a CMU punt 77 yards for a touchdown. Pendleton dove into the end zone and was promptly flagged for excessive celebration, giving the Jayhawks a 15-yard penalty. When Pendleton returned to the sideline, Mangino promptly pulled him aside for a profanity-laced tongue-lashing. A video was shot of this exchange and posted on YouTube, and it quickly became one of the most-watched videos on the site for the week. [1] Mangino said he was bothered that the TV station that caught the video, WIBW-TV of Topeka, Kansas, ran the unedited audio on its Web site. Pendleton downplayed it, saying that he deserved it. WIBW deleted the video from its webpage, but a censored version of Mangino's tirade is available on the website of WDAF-TV in Kansas City, Missouri.

My commenst below in BOLD:

Mangino is one of only five NCAA Division I-A football coaches who did not play college football.

---So? What's the significance of that? If the guy can coach, he can coach.

* 2004 Kansas-Texas game

In 2004, Mangino paid a $5,000 fine for suggesting that officials acted with favoritism in an offensive pass interference call that affected the outcome of a game against Texas. Mangino implied that money and a BCS berth for the Big 12 Conference influenced the officials to make a call in favor of Texas. He and athletic director Lew Perkins issued public apologies the day after the incident.

---Again... so? He only said aloud what every coach thinks probably four or five times every season. I'll guarantee you Bob Devany said far worse. Guarantee.

In 2006, the NCAA found five major violations including academic fraud had been committed by members of the Jayhawk football program under Mark Mangino. These major violations, along with four others from other sports contributed to the NCAA charging the Kansas University Athletics with "lack of institutional control". A graduate assistant was found to have supplied answers to correspondence courses being taken by potential athletes. As a result, the football team was limited for two years in its recruitment of junior college transfers, and lost two scholarships for each of the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

---This... not so good. No excuses for this. Get control of your program, or suffer the consequences. If this happens again the penalty will be far more stiff than limited Jucos and a couple of scholarships gone. Not cool, this one.

During a high school football game, Mark Mangino was documented screaming and cursing at a high school referee for missing a call in which his son was involved. Mangino was asked to leave the game but refused. Security was called and Mangino was removed from the game. Mangino has been since banned from all Lawrence High School athletic events.[1]

--- Eh... not so good, but not a world breaker, either. He's a hothead, that's for sure. But this is not that big of a deal, really.

In 2007, during the season opener against the Central Michigan Chippewas, KU's Raimond Pendleton returned a CMU punt 77 yards for a touchdown. Pendleton dove into the end zone and was promptly flagged for excessive celebration, giving the Jayhawks a 15-yard penalty. When Pendleton returned to the sideline, Mangino promptly pulled him aside for a profanity-laced tongue-lashing. A video was shot of this exchange and posted on YouTube, and it quickly became one of the most-watched videos on the site for the week. [1] Mangino said he was bothered that the TV station that caught the video, WIBW-TV of Topeka, Kansas, ran the unedited audio on its Web site. Pendleton downplayed it, saying that he deserved it. WIBW deleted the video from its webpage, but a censored version of Mangino's tirade is available on the website of WDAF-TV in Kansas City, Missouri.

--- Again, so? He used potty-mouth words at one of his players? Apparently the person who found this significant has never played organized sports, and especially not football beyond Pop Warner. Coaches swear. It's not the end of the world.

Basically, if this is all the "dirt" they can dig up on Mangino, I'd say he's doing pretty good. I'm troubled by the academic fraud stuff. That's not cool at all, and there's no minimizing it. But the rest - it's just crap. Someone was looking for dirt, and when you look for dirt, you can usually find it. Mostly to me that all amounts to needless sniping, aside from the academics.

How about the fact that he was on the hotseat before the season began. The KU AD basically told him that he must go over .500 and make a bowl game this year or else. I have no problem with him, and he's doing a great job at Kansas. However, I will reserve judgement on him and his team until after the season. They still have the tough part of their schedule left to play. They are defitely a feel good story for the Big 12 North.

My commenst below in BOLD:

---So? What's the significance of that? If the guy can coach, he can coach.

* 2004 Kansas-Texas game

---Again... so? He only said aloud what every coach thinks probably four or five times every season. I'll guarantee you Bob Devany said far worse. Guarantee.

---This... not so good. No excuses for this. Get control of your program, or suffer the consequences. If this happens again the penalty will be far more stiff than limited Jucos and a couple of scholarships gone. Not cool, this one.

--- Eh... not so good, but not a world breaker, either. He's a hothead, that's for sure. But this is not that big of a deal, really.

--- Again, so? He used potty-mouth words at one of his players? Apparently the person who found this significant has never played organized sports, and especially not football beyond Pop Warner. Coaches swear. It's not the end of the world.

Basically, if this is all the "dirt" they can dig up on Mangino, I'd say he's doing pretty good. I'm troubled by the academic fraud stuff. That's not cool at all, and there's no minimizing it. But the rest - it's just crap. Someone was looking for dirt, and when you look for dirt, you can usually find it. Mostly to me that all amounts to needless sniping, aside from the academics.

I wasn't digging for dirt, I just wanted to find out more about him..This was all cut/pasted from the 1st site Google pointed me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Mangino ...(more or less an online dictionary..1st time I've seen so much negative information listed about anyone on this site).

The original author(s) of this may or may not have played beyond Pop Warner, but in your own words, "So? What's the significance of that?"

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing, other than trying to control my own laughter, but the way so many fans from "back home" were so embarrassed or jumped on Cally for his "fn' Hillbillies" remark, I suspect some of you do.

Not condoning it or anything..My High School Coach said "Dad-Gummit" and "Katie Bar the Door" more than once and I involuntarily blew snot-bubbles almost every time..Even during wind-sprints or Oklahoma drills.

Nebraska would MOST DEFINITELY NOT be where KU is...even if our schedule was as easy as theirs

KU has absolutely dominated every below par team they have played. Let's not forget, they spanked (I know it was only 8 points, but if you watched the game, you know it was NEVER EVEN CLOSE) A&M at Kyle Field. This was THE WEEK AFTER THEY KILLED US IN MEMORIAL STADIUM.

I don't mean to be rude, but this type of thinking doesn't make sense. Your main argument in this sentence is that since KU "spanked" A&M by...........8 points, then KU must be a good team. You also add more evidence of KU being good by saying that since A&M beat NU at Memorial Stadium, this makes KU a better team. What!? In order for this argument to hold any water, NU would have to be a great team with a great W-L record...NU has neither of these. Following your logic, since A&M beat NU, and KU beat A&M, then this means we need to respect KU........ I wish I knew what you were smoking, because I would like some...

Listen, I am not trying to say they are national championship contenders, or even BCS.....because i don't know that they are......

HOWEVER, I am tired of people not respecting Kansas. What else do you want them to do? THey have won every game they have played....fairly easily as well

I want them to beat a good team. Sure they faced three okay teams...but they barely won those games. These games were all close; they could have gone either way. One interception from the opposing team and KU may not be undefeated this year still.

Let's give the Hawks some credit. They are a hell of a lot better than we are!

I will give them credit when they do something significant. And saying they are better than us isn't saying much at all. I'm pretty sure Baylor could beat our asses, should we respect them too?