Who here likes Jim Rose???

Apathy

I don't know about you guys but I love listening to this guy broadcast reason being that he gets you into the game and he's so fired up about the game. My two uncles don't really care for the guy because you can't till which team he's cheering for because he gets excited on big plays for both teams. I get goosebumps when i listen to this guy when he gets really into the game and when Nebraska pulls off a great play. But it'll be interesting to see what other fans think of him. GO BIG RED

I don't know about you guys but I love listening to this guy broadcast reason being that he gets you into the game and he's so fired up about the game. My two uncles don't really care for the guy because you can't till which team he's cheering for because he gets excited on big plays for both teams. I get goosebumps when i listen to this guy when he gets really into the game and when Nebraska pulls off a great play. But it'll be interesting to see what other fans think of him. GO BIG RED

You sound pretty young. Jim Rose was not universally welcomed by the Husker Nation when he came to work for them a few years back because he was considered an outsider. Not a Husker is what I heard people say. He tried to come across as a local but that is hard to do without sounding like a phoney. Over the years he actually seems to have started rooting for the Huskers but if your uncles grew up, as I did, listening to Lyle Bremser then it is not surprising they are making a comparison. Back in the 70's only a couple of games were broadcast on TV each year so everyone followed the team on the radio. Lyle's voice was the "sound of Saturday" since the games were on every store radio, restaurant, and in the shopping malls; it seemed to be emanating from every garage in town. The guy provided such a vivid picture of what was happening at the stadium. He had a unique voice as well, something Rose doesn't have.

Keep in mind, in the broadcast profession, one has a certain mandate to be somewhat objective and unbiased. It is rare that that happens but Rose tries to do that as much as anyone. Good football plays should be described as such. If they are exciting plays it should be described as such over the radio. If I recall, Mr. Bremser was not the best at that aspect of his profession but no one cared. He was and always will be the true sound of Husker football and I am sure your uncles would agree.

To Raw1, yes i'm young but not that young and I haven't heard of that other anouncer that you had mentioned. My uncles did mention some guys name from their childhood and they told me that he was a Nebraskian and made everybody want to listen to the guy on every Saturday.

Rose is like a chihuahua barking at every sound on the Fourth of July. He attempts to be the Dennis Miller of radio with some of his out of left field phrases. I CANNOT stand it when he gets EXCITED when the other team makes a big play. Thankfully more games than not have been on tv during his tenure so I haven't had to be subjected to him too often each season.

I did grow up on Lyle Bremser and even tolerated the Kent Pavelka years. Was not a fan of Warren Swain either.

I like his voice. I think he does a decent job of calling the games. I'm not too concerned when he adds inflection to his voice when the other team has a big play - it helps build the image of what's going on on the field.

Of course, NOBODY will ever compare to Lyle Bremser. When I grew up my Saturday day afternoon chore during Fall was splitting wood for our woodburner. Three hours in the chilly air with nothing by Lyle to keep me company - those were good times.

I liked Kent Pavelka well enough, and if I had to choose between Kent and Jim I'd probably choose Kent.

I'm cool with Rose, though.

PS - Warren Swain was an abomination. Thank God he's gone!

Rose is like a chihuahua barking at every sound on the Fourth of July. He attempts to be the Dennis Miller of radio with some of his out of left field phrases. I CANNOT stand it when he gets EXCITED when the other team makes a big play. Thankfully more games than not have been on tv during his tenure so I haven't had to be subjected to him too often each season.

I did grow up on Lyle Bremser and even tolerated the Kent Pavelka years. Was not a fan of Warren Swain either.

Swain was terrible! I think he did actively root for the opposing team. I still remember the A&M game of... err... 98, maybe? We lost and he was SOOOO excited for the "Wrecking Crew" that i had to turn the radio off and wait until I got somewhere I could flop down in front of a TV machine. Rose is irritating; he makes up for his lack of skill with his idiotic metaphors that are neither entertaining nor erudite. Pavelka was a homer, and in a local broadcaster, I LOVE that.

I'm very pro-Jim Rose.

I think he does a very good job.

He's developed his own style....otherwise there wouldn't be that hilarious parody done recently.

BTW, he's aware of these parodies and is a very good sport about them.

I love the high school references..."Pierce Bluejay", "Central Catholic Crusader", the "Culbertson Bear".

I like his reference to "10th & Vine"...even though 10th & Vine don't intersect.

There's a "chemistry" in the booth between Rose, Adrian Fiala and Matt Davison reminiscent of Lyell Bremser, Dave Blackwell & Jack Payne.

Quite frankly, it chaps me when Jim gets bastardized by folks on message boards, then to prove a point...they post some concocted, exagerated, inaccuate transcripts.

Usually the ones doing the bashing, just are not listening close enough....plus it's just too easy to bitch anonymously.

If these folks would listen to broadcasts from other teams, and scrutinize them the same way they do Nebraska broadcast team....they'd find out we've got a very, very good crew.

BTW...I've listened to and reviewed a few broadcasts in my day:

http://www.freewebs.com/corn_cob/nebraskaaudioarchive.htm

Rose is a moron. I like Kent Pavelka!!!

"He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Frazier!!"

"The fun and gun, well the fun is done!!"

I like Pavelka too. However, like Rose, he's got a few guys who didn't care for him.

Your, "He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Frazier!!"

was more like, ""He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Fraziahhh!!"

I talked to a former player once...he said of Pavelka, 'the biggest play in Nebraska football history...and the guy can't even say his name right."

That being said...it was a memorable call, done with Kent's unique style. One you can hear in your head, just like Lyell's call of Johnny Rodger's punt return vs Oklahoma.

To Raw1, yes i'm young but not that young and I haven't heard of that other anouncer that you had mentioned. My uncles did mention some guys name from their childhood and they told me that he was a Nebraskian and made everybody want to listen to the guy on every Saturday.

The guy I remember was Bob Zenner, is that the one your uncles mentioned. He was great. Just a little guy.

GBR!!!