Who here likes Jim Rose???

Apathy

Rose is like a chihuahua barking at every sound on the Fourth of July. He attempts to be the Dennis Miller of radio with some of his out of left field phrases. I CANNOT stand it when he gets EXCITED when the other team makes a big play. Thankfully more games than not have been on tv during his tenure so I haven't had to be subjected to him too often each season.

I did grow up on Lyle Bremser and even tolerated the Kent Pavelka years. Was not a fan of Warren Swain either.

Swain was terrible! I think he did actively root for the opposing team. I still remember the A&M game of... err... 98, maybe? We lost and he was SOOOO excited for the "Wrecking Crew" that i had to turn the radio off and wait until I got somewhere I could flop down in front of a TV machine. Rose is irritating; he makes up for his lack of skill with his idiotic metaphors that are neither entertaining nor erudite. Pavelka was a homer, and in a local broadcaster, I LOVE that.

You didn't like a player getting "knocked out of bounce" :lol:

I am not a fan of Warren Swain.

I was defended him early at Nebraska.

But, as I listened to him, I began to realize everybody was right.

He had a great voice...but he was a dud.

Just to prove a point, in your head can you hear...

Lyell Bremser's call of Johnny Rodger's punt return?

Sure. (..."man, woman & child did that put 'em in the aisles...")

Kent Pavelka's call of Tommie Frazier's run?

Sure. (..."He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Frazier!!")

Now...can ANYBODY, without looking it up, remember what Swain's call of Matt Davison's tipped catch was like? Exactly. <_<

To Raw1, yes i'm young but not that young and I haven't heard of that other anouncer that you had mentioned. My uncles did mention some guys name from their childhood and they told me that he was a Nebraskian and made everybody want to listen to the guy on every Saturday.

The guy I remember was Bob Zenner, is that the one your uncles mentioned. He was great. Just a little guy.

GBR!!!

Bob passed away from luekemia.

I was told when he died, the state reacted similiarly to when Brook Berringer passed.

Only Brook's death was sudden, while Bob's prognosis wasn't good.

Zenner's voice lives on in some pretty widely circulated season highlight albums covering 1962-1965.

A couple Zenner-game broadcast survived too...including the 1959 Nebraska upset of Oklahoma.

Rose is a moron. I like Kent Pavelka!!!

"He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Frazier!!"

"The fun and gun, well the fun is done!!"

I like Pavelka too. However, like Rose, he's got a few guys who didn't care for him.

Your, "He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Frazier!!"

was more like, ""He's gonna go, HOLY COW, Touchdown Tommie Fraziahhh!!"

I talked to a former player once...he said of Pavelka, 'the biggest play in Nebraska football history...and the guy can't even say his name right."

That being said...it was a memorable call, done with Kent's unique style. One you can hear in your head, just like Lyell's call of Johnny Rodger's punt return vs Oklahoma.

That call, as well as that game still give me the chills!! He was a homer but he was my homer and I'm cool with that!! HA HA!!

To Raw1, yes i'm young but not that young and I haven't heard of that other anouncer that you had mentioned. My uncles did mention some guys name from their childhood and they told me that he was a Nebraskian and made everybody want to listen to the guy on every Saturday.

The guy I remember was Bob Zenner, is that the one your uncles mentioned. He was great. Just a little guy.

GBR!!!

Bob passed away from luekemia.

I was told when he died, the state reacted similiarly to when Brook Berringer passed.

Only Brook's death was sudden, while Bob's prognosis wasn't good.

Zenner's voice lives on in some pretty widely circulated season highlight albums covering 1962-1965.

A couple Zenner-game broadcast survived too...including the 1959 Nebraska upset of Oklahoma.

Thanks for the info. I do remember when he died and it was a very sad day in Husker Nation. He was excellent at calling games. Wasn't quite the same for a long time, listening to games after that.

GBR!!!

Rose is like a chihuahua barking at every sound on the Fourth of July. He attempts to be the Dennis Miller of radio with some of his out of left field phrases. I CANNOT stand it when he gets EXCITED when the other team makes a big play. Thankfully more games than not have been on tv during his tenure so I haven't had to be subjected to him too often each season.

I did grow up on Lyle Bremser and even tolerated the Kent Pavelka years. Was not a fan of Warren Swain either.

:yeah

Having to listen to Rose now that some of the games have'nt been on tv have made this football season unbearable. I can't even listen to the pregame shows just because he irritates the hell out of me.

I actually miss Gary Sadlemeyer more then i did Kent Pavelka.

No one even compares to Lyle, even in his later years when you had no idea where the ball was, it was still exciting radio.

Was'nt there two radio stations that use to carry Husker football in the 70's?

Sure, they had names. Lyell Bremser. Bob Zenner. Tim Moreland. Joe Patrick. Dick Perry. Jack Payne. And, the voice of God Himself, Ray Scott.

These were the men who called Nebraska football games in the '60s and '70s era of Big Red football, when there were four stations and four play-by-play men calling the same action

I can't stand Jim Rose. You can't tell if he's announcing for Nebraska or the other team. He doesn't know the team members well enough to give you any background on them like Kent Pavelka did. Maybe since Osborne is back we can get Pavelka back. I listened to Lyle Bremser until he passed the mike on to Kent. Those were great times! Rose talks to much about other things. Adrian Feala does a better job of color commentating than Rose does.

BRING BACK PAVELKA!!!

I can't stand Jim Rose. You can't tell if he's announcing for Nebraska or the other team. He doesn't know the team members well enough to give you any background on them like Kent Pavelka did. Maybe since Osborne is back we can get Pavelka back. I listened to Lyle Bremser until he passed the mike on to Kent. Those were great times! Rose talks to much about other things. Adrian Feala does a better job of color commentating than Rose does.

BRING BACK PAVELKA!!!

They already brought him back for basketball last year. There might be a chance

I can't stand listening to him. I want to listen to a broadcast where the man behind the microphone will give me the down and distance, and then once the ball is snapped actually tell me what happens on the play.

"Keller back in the pocket, blitz coming, pass is away, it's INTERCEPTED! Incomplete pass intended for Nate Swift! That A&M corner nearly took that one the other way!"

An almost word-for-word quote from the A&M game. He needs to save all his "embellishment" for the big plays ONLY. No need to soil yourself over a four-yard slant route. And would it kill you to say how much time is left every so often?

/rant :)

I think we should get Kugler now that Pederson is gone as AD. I read about some beef that they had . . . anybody remember what it was?

I don't know about you guys but I love listening to this guy broadcast reason being that he gets you into the game and he's so fired up about the game. My two uncles don't really care for the guy because you can't till which team he's cheering for because he gets excited on big plays for both teams. I get goosebumps when i listen to this guy when he gets really into the game and when Nebraska pulls off a great play. But it'll be interesting to see what other fans think of him. GO BIG RED

I DO!! Oh wait, you're not talking about me are you? (My name is Jim Rose too.) :lol: