Callahans Post game quotes

earlier this year, i was placing a majority of blame on the players, cuz watching the games, i saw a BUNCH of plays not being made...the coaches had players in decent position they were not making simple blocks, cuts, tackles, stripping balls, etc...

then after about 3 straight lousy performances you could tell it was lack of fundamentals!! yeah, the players need to tackle, but if they're not being taught how then it's not their fault. when i heard they don't practice in full pads?!? come on!! Callahan has a pro scheme and is worried about minisucle, but when it comes to teaching players the basic'

s it is OBVIOUS he has left that part out.

now as far as motivation...yeah, that falls on the players a bunch. but they are like whipped puppies now with no confidence. it's not lack of talent (players!) it's the lack of fundamentals (coaching!)

By the time a player is all conference or of that supposed level, he should not need to be taught how to tackle.

I place this on the players as well as the coaches.

At this level of football if you do not know the basics and have not honed your ability it is absurd to blame the coaches.

This is a lack of effort, and it began last winter. We are not strong enough nor dedicated enough. That is the fault of the coaches.

But the players have to make the plays, and they are no for what ever reason.

I think there is a cancer within the defense, and my guess is it comes from McKeon. This is just my thought.

Something happened with him. What I have no idea, but there is a problem with his attitude and effort, dedication to the team. A lot has changed this last year with him.

If you do not drill the fundamentals every day, you will not be good at them. You will actualy decline in skill. Majority of College kids think they know it al but in truth they know little.

The other thing none has mentioned is something called muscle memory. Muscle memory is where your muscle do exactly what you practice. You only get this through doing it for several thousands repetitions. If you drill 100 tackles a week for a year. You will become a great tackler. If you only drill it 100 times total in a year, you will not get the muscle memory to be good at it.

You also can lose muscle memory if you do not continue to drill your technique.

By the time a player is all conference or of that supposed level, he should not need to be taught how to tackle.

At this level of football if you do not know the basics and have not honed your ability it is absurd to blame the coaches.

This is a lack of effort, and it began last winter. We are not strong enough nor dedicated enough. That is the fault of the coaches.

I think there is a cancer within the defense, and my guess is it comes from McKeon. This is just my thought.

Something happened with him. What I have no idea, but there is a problem with his attitude and effort, dedication to the team. A lot has changed this last year with him.

bullsh#t! if the players show they don't know how to tackle, then insert tackling drills every week.

if they don't show heart, run their asses after practice every week, until they step up or quit the team.

it's all on the coaches, every damn bit of it......they accept the out put coming from the kids. the kids give only what they have to, whatever the coaches deem as necessary........this is bullsh#t!

If you do not drill the fundamentals every day, you will not be good at them. You will actualy decline in skill. Majority of College kids think they know it al but in truth they know little.

The other thing none has mentioned is something called muscle memory. Muscle memory is where your muscle do exactly what you practice. You only get this through doing it for several thousands repetitions. If you drill 100 tackles a week for a year. You will become a great tackler. If you only drill it 100 times total in a year, you will not get the muscle memory to be good at it.

You also can lose muscle memory if you do not continue to drill your technique.

exactly, right on!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong here. It's still college football and tackling is something that must be worked on. What if these players' high school coaches didn't work on their fundamentals or taught them incorrectly? It is the players fault? Should the players have to carry their tackling skills from high school through college without working on them? No.

I don't think the coaches are entirely at fault with not being "strong enough" or "dedicated enough". If players don't make the commitment to hit the weights, then does that completely fall on the coaches' shoulders? Coaches have to motivate their players, but in the end, if a player doesn't want to put in the work then it falls on the players.

I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong here. It's still college football and tackling is something that must be worked on. What if these players' high school coaches didn't work on their fundamentals or taught them incorrectly? It is the players fault? Should the players have to carry their tackling skills from high school through college without working on them? No.

I don't think the coaches are entirely at fault with not being "strong enough" or "dedicated enough". If players don't make the commitment to hit the weights, then does that completely fall on the coaches' shoulders? Coaches have to motivate their players, but in the end, if a player doesn't want to put in the work then it falls on the players.

Then those players shouldnt be playing.

bullsh#t! if the players show they don't know how to tackle, then insert tackling drills every week.

if they don't show heart, run their asses after practice every week, until they step up or quit the team.

it's all on the coaches, every damn bit of it......they accept the out put coming from the kids. the kids give only what they have to, whatever the coaches deem as necessary........this is bullsh#t!

I agree....most of these players are here on scholarship...and because they wanted to play at Nebraska...it is time for them to do their part, too. I am tired of people making excuses for the players....they have a role in all this to some degree also. What I saw at KU was a team that quit.

I also have a hair up my rear for anyone that has the gall to bad mouth players that came before them, when they themselves can't put up....so just shut up. They have nothing to say at this point...this team is laughable, it is sad...Pederson and Callahan have managed to take a top 25 program and run it all the way to the bottom in 4 years...has to be a record. Are we sure this isn't a reality show and it is one big joke...you know "How To Ruin a College Football Program"?

:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz:nutz

I put all the blame on the coaches and players! Neither side has figured out what the problem is and it appears they never planned on figuring it out! The coaches can't coach and the players have absolutely no freakin heart. I would offer my body to the football gods to be able to play one game for the Huskers. These kids have no freakin clue what dedication is and these coaches have no clue how to coach a team.

I put all the blame on the coaches and players! Neither side has figured out what the problem is and it appears they never planned on figuring it out! The coaches can't coach and the players have absolutely no freakin heart. I would offer my body to the football gods to be able to play one game for the Huskers. These kids have no freakin clue what dedication is and these coaches have no clue how to coach a team.

As a kid that grew up during the glory years of the early 70's, I can relate...it was always my one dream to play for the Huskers, unfortunately, the football gods didn't see it appropriate for some reason to give me the physical talents to make that dream come true.