The gang at ProFootballTalk.com (the best NFL rumor site in the land) has posted some college football news today (which is a rarity), but it's all about us!

We interrupt our ongoing coverage of all things NFL to share some rumors we're hearing about a college program currently led by a former NFL head coach.

In Nebraska, one-time Raiders coach Bill Callahan is certain to get fired. And there has been plenty of speculation that Nebraska alum Barry Alvarez will take the job. Alvarez retired as head coach at Wisconsin after the 2005 season.

As our sources hear it, it's more than speculation -- it's a real possibility.

And the Nebraska opening is one of many college gigs that soon will be available, and that could attract the attention of guys currently working in the NFL.

These guys are usually pretty solid, so there could be something to this.

Why would Alvarez give up his AD gig at Wisconson? And he is a bit old to be the coach -- I think we want a more youthful coach. Wasn't Cosgrove Alverez's DC -- even more reason to not allow Barry around here. :)

Coz was his D Coordinator when they were in the middle of the pack then Coz left and they got better....what a coincidence. :sarcasm

I don't want a guy that had Coz as his DC.

I got a lot of respect for Barry, but I'm just saying...

pop quiz: did barry call his own D like osborne called his own offense?

where this the case, that might explain why coz never appeared that bad.

Maybe they screwed up there info and he is going to be the next AD at Nebraska. What would you say about that.

I would take him as a head coach. I realy dont see what is wrong with a transition coach right now. get a guy you know for a fact is a good coach that will get this program pointed in the right direction. then hand it off to young guy.

guy you need to think about this. if we get wome young coach that looks really good on paper, but comes here and flops, it could take FOREVER to repair. if you can get him... you take him.

Barry's records at UW

1990 1-10

1991 5-6

1992 5-6

1993 10-1-1

1994 8-3-1

1995 4-5-2

1996 8-5

1997 8-5

1998 11-1

1999 10-2

2000 9-4

2001 5-7

2002 8-6

2003 7-6

2004 9-5

2005 10-3

I know he's an alumnus and all..But he coached at Lexington... and the lowly Big-10 conference.

I'd almost rather go with a WAC coach.