Colin Cowherd

I don't listen to Cowherd every day but have heard him bring this up and apparently he brought it up again today and that is that cold weather schools like Nebraska will have a hard time recruiting big time players due to the weather.

I feel this is a dumba$$ statement. Someone please explain how Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc., are able to recruit big time players. Anyway, I just sent this email to Colin:

Colin, if you think the reason Nebraska has slipped so far is due to the weather, you know nothing about the situation in Lincoln. Are you aware of the former A.D's hiring of a "consultant" to be his hatchet man and the big money he was being paid? Are you aware that all photos of All-Americans were removed from the halls? Are you aware of Bill Callahan's inability to motivate, make half-time adjustments, or rotate players? And have you heard anything about Kevin Cosgrove and our joke of a defense? The culture of Nebraska was changed by two people: Steve Pederson and Bill Callahan. However, for all the bad they did, I'll give them this, they didn't have anything to do with the weather in Lincoln and neither did Tom Osborne when he was winning championships in the 1990s.

That really is not what he said.

He said we are convicers and they are askers.

What does that mean?

We have to beg to get top athletes and always have.

SC, Florida, Texas and some others only have to ask.

SC had over 60 kids in the stadium Saturday.

If the top programs ask and want you why go to Nebraska is what he was saying.

Nebraska used to be a draw due to the fact that they were on television a lot. Now most mid to upper level programs are on TV regulary.

What he said is pretty true. Kids are more interested in what you can do for them instantly and how much of party life is around them.

Weather is a factor, but Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State have in state recruiting and a lot of talent to choose from. He made the comment about population and the draw.

I don't like the guy very will, but his comments are very close to correct. He thinks we will get back, but never to the level we once were. Reality is that is most likely correct.

Someone should of asked him then how did Notre Dame convince all those recruit there since they supposedly have the top recruiting class this year. Not sure if they still do since I don't subscribe to any of the services. His logic is flawed at the start when you see all the north teams that are in the top 10.

I've always found this to be backwards thinking. First not everyone from a given place wants to stay there. Some people including highschool seniors and yes even atheltes want to get as far away from home as possible. Second, with the limitation on scolly's one would thinkg that not all this great talent could stay in state. One would think that not every athelete can afford to pay for college thus they may look out of state for a school with a scolly open. Again either the "experts" or my self is thinking "backwards". I just can't figure out which one it is.

Cowherd is a blowhard. Half of the stuff he says, he says just to get a reaction. I was a huge fan of Tony Kornheiser's radio show, but Cowherd is such a no-talent ass clown, that I can't stand to listen to his unorigninal, unentertaining show.

I don't know if you can say douchebag on the radio, but with cowherd you have a douchebag on the radio.

I think "half" is a conservative estimate. The guy isn't a total fool, but he's trying awfully hard to get there.

Why do you think CA and FL schools don't have trouble recruiting? Heck, who wouldn't want to play at USC? The weather does play a factor, but then you have the beaches.... Any kid that comes from somewhere on the middle part of the US would fantasize about playing there...beaches, girls, surf....oh hell yeah!! The only way they would stay at home is if they come from a place like Nebraska, and knew and felt the tradition. That is one reason it is really important to keep that going.

We also need to expand the walk on program and allow kids from Nebraska to have some hope that they can play for the Huskers. The majority of scholarships go to kids from out of state...it used to be that Nebraska was made up of probably at least half Nebraskans. Now it seems like, and I could be wrong without looking at the roster, that we are recruiting from Florida, California, Texas...and I have a suspicion that the only reason we get anyone from there is they are looking for a change...to get away from home. They have quality schools and good coaches in these areas. Another reason is that they may realize that they are going to have more competition to play at those schools because it is so much easier to get the talented kids to go there.

BC, love him or hate him, did have the ability to recruit...because these kids felt he would show them the way to the NFL. Unfortunately, what they didn't know, is that he can't coach...he is not a teacher when it comes to football. That may hurt us in the short term...unfortunately.

Husker football for whatever reasons can and has been successful. We can do that again with the right combination of coaching and tradition. Our fan base is one of the best in the country. I travel all the time, I know that when I go to other states they see my Husker attire and always have something good to say about Nebraska. We are respected. And I really feel that people from other states, when they talk football and Nebraska, believe that Nebraska will be back.

Cowherd is a blowhard. Half of the stuff he says, he says just to get a reaction. I was a huge fan of Tony Kornheiser's radio show, but Cowherd is such a no-talent ass clown, that I can't stand to listen to his unorigninal, unentertaining show.

I don't know if you can say douchebag on the radio, but with cowherd you have a douchebag on the radio.

Can't stand Cowherd either, never have and never will. He thinks he so smart and knowledgable about EVERYTHING. Pretty much he is the definition of a know-it-all who knows nothing but like to hear himself talk. No wonder he just got divorced, poor woman had to deal with that!

That really is not what he said.

He said we are convicers and they are askers.

What does that mean?

We have to beg to get top athletes and always have.

SC, Florida, Texas and some others only have to ask.

SC had over 60 kids in the stadium Saturday.

If the top programs ask and want you why go to Nebraska is what he was saying.

Nebraska used to be a draw due to the fact that they were on television a lot. Now most mid to upper level programs are on TV regulary.

What he said is pretty true. Kids are more interested in what you can do for them instantly and how much of party life is around them.

Weather is a factor, but Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State have in state recruiting and a lot of talent to choose from. He made the comment about population and the draw.

I don't like the guy very will, but his comments are very close to correct. He thinks we will get back, but never to the level we once were. Reality is that is most likely correct.

Actually, he said both of these things. But he did make a big deal about how Nebraska will never be a major power again in large part because of the weather. It seemed that the weather was the main reason why he thinks Nebraska is a "convincer" while USC and Florida are "askers." And, as usual, he's totally wrong. Of course the weather is one of many, many factors; but it's not even a primary factor for most. Half of the current BCS top ten teams are located in regions that have cold winters. Cowherd is just another sports radio contrarian looking to rustle feathers. Remember that he's a west coast guy. And as someone from southern California, I can tell you that most people on the west coast think that everyone in the country wishes they lived in a region that doesn't have actual seasons. They tell themselves that in order to make themselves feel better about paying ten times more for their houses.

That is why if they are not gonna bring back the walk-on program to past heights and are not gonna run a smashmouth system, they better get a charismatic HC to come in here to draw the kids, and that AIN'T WEIRD LOOKING Bo Pellini!

Beau Bridges is a handsome man!