Bo Pelini A Risky Choice?

(Moderator: If this post should've been placed on the Rumorville site, please feel free to move it-I wasn't sure as the information I shared here is factual.)

I heard about this tidbit on Bo Pelini on 1620 'The Zone' this afternoon and looked the quote up. It was by Kirk Bohls a writer for the American Statesman Staff (Austin Texas newspaper) The article was about who would be the next head coach at A&M. This is what he said about Pelini:

"LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini's emotional, but doesn't like recruiting and isn't very media-friendly. Let Nebraska make that mistake." http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../1106bohls.html

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M AFRAID OF and why I don't want Bo Pelini to be the next head coach for Nebraska.

HIRE TURNER GILL! (According to the boys at 1620-they believe that Osborne has already decided and Turner is the guy....we shall see!)

With Gill as coach Nebraska would be mediocre. With Pelini as coach, Nebraska would be a powerhouse and NC contender every year...!! :restore

With Gill as coach Nebraska would be mediocre. With Pelini as coach, Nebraska would be a powerhouse and NC contender every year...!! :restore

How can we know that? What is that opinion based on? Pelini may be a very good DC but that's all he's ever done. I think it would be a huge risk to hire him. (I just envision him losing is cool ala Gundy during some press conference. EWWWWW!!! We DO NOT need that! We've been embarrassed enough!)

Edsell keeps coming up. Does anyone have the scoop on him? Where does he coach now? What is his background? Any Nebraska ties? I know that Nebraska ties aren't important to many people but to most in the state it is huge. I think it is one of the biggest reasons that Callahan didn't work here. He really never embraced the culture.

I think Coach Gill is a great guy, but I don't believe this would be the best hire.

Didn't TO pass on him for Frank Solich to be his successor? And if Solich was indeed hand picked by TO, what does that say about TO being able to decide on a coach?

I don't think that a coach that was avg-9 wins a season was that bad of a pick, do you. Or did you buy into Pud's rhetoric. Solich's personal life did him in.

GBR!!!

Turner Gill will be the Biggest mistake ever...worse than Bill Callahan. I know that Turner Gill was an amazing player but do i have to remind you that he's coaching at Buffalo....BUFFALO. Coaching at Buffalo and Nebraska is one huge giant leap and I don't think that Turner Gill will be the right fit.

He may keep the tradition going, he may fire up the players, he may have played for NU in the past, but I don't think that he can get us back into the NC hunt. If Gill had coached at a big time school like OU, LSU, USC, and so forth, then we should consider hiring Gill if he turned their program around.

I'm rooting for Bo Pelini for what he's done in the NFL and what he's accomplished at NU, OU, and LSU. But I'm feeling more love for Paul Johnson and for what he's done for Navy for the past 5 years, 6 years if you're counting this year. Paul Johnson as a better record at Navy 37-25 than Jim Grobe does at Wake Forrest 37-35.

But that's just my opinion and we are looking at a great list of possible coaches to coach at NU....TO has one tough job to accomplish.

Don't they call the Mac- Conference the cradle of coaching. I heard that a lot of big name coaches got their start there.

I'm just like a lot of you, I don't know if Gill is ready either.

GBR!!!

I just hope he doesn't turn into a preaching Jesus freak.

I am just curious OLDMAN how this is a bad thing. I mean with all the crimes and shameful things these college football players doing these days i think it would be a very good thing to try and get them to behave. Also if a coach tries to talk to his players about Jesus does that suddenly make him a bad coach. NO!!!

(Moderator: If this post should've been placed on the Rumorville site, please feel free to move it-I wasn't sure as the information I shared here is factual.)

I heard about this tidbit on Bo Pelini on 1620 'The Zone' this afternoon and looked the quote up. It was by Kirk Bohls a writer for the American Statesman Staff (Austin Texas newspaper) The article was about who would be the next head coach at A&M. This is what he said about Pelini:

"LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini's emotional, but doesn't like recruiting and isn't very media-friendly. Let Nebraska make that mistake." http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../1106bohls.html

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M AFRAID OF and why I don't want Bo Pelini to be the next head coach for Nebraska.

HIRE TURNER GILL! (According to the boys at 1620-they believe that Osborne has already decided and Turner is the guy....we shall see!)

Mike'l believes this. It is his theory, and his theory alone. Damon Benning does not have Turner among his top three, which go: Randy Edsell, Paul Johnson, Bo Pelini.

Everyone will have theories over the next couple weeks, but there is only one person who really knows what's going to happen.

Jeremy Crabtree stated last week that Pelini hasn't had to deal with recruiting since being in college since he's been a coordinator, it's not that he doesn't like it, he just hasn't done a lot of it. He can hire people to recruit.

Damon Benning doesn't have Gill on his short list. Hmm, I wonder why? It's been stated time and time again for those of you who refuse to read it that several former players have said Gill was the laziest coach on the staff. I have several friends who played on the team that said he was the last to show up to work and the first to leave. A former player doesn't have Gill on their short list because he saw this first hand! I'm not going to start naming the former players that have said this to me, but the proof is in the pudding when Benning comes out publicly and doesn't have Gill on his list.

I'm sure TO knows about this as he was on his staff. I'm sure TO will not bring in Gill because of this. I think it was stated in another thread that Solich and TO have talked since TO took over as AD. One of the subjects could have possibly been whether or not Solich thought Pelini could be the guy.

In coaching vacancies to open up at season's end, we hear Pelini's name a lot. Other than the NU job, I haven't heard anyone mention Gill's name. Will Pelini be a risk? You bet he will. Did OU take a chance on Bob Stoops? You bet they did. Some people say he will not stay here for long. I have no idea, and this might be true. However, I don't think he'll be jetting to the NFL. If the top spot opens up at his alma mater Ohio State then yes he'll probably be gone.

It's been stated time and time again for those of you who refuse to read it that several former players have said Gill was the laziest coach on the staff. I have several friends who played on the team that said he was the last to show up to work and the first to leave.

Laziest? Come on man. If that's the case then my azz would have been fired long time ago. But once I'm working I'm doing my job very well. Please tell me you have more than just that. Please tell me it makes a difference b/c I show up 5 minutes before my basketball games that it affects my ability to drop 20 points on the other team, or not throw 4 TDS in flag football b/c the whistle is over and I'm ready to go have some cold beers and BS with the fellas and take home pretty girls. Please tell me that you have more than that, the "last to show, first to leave means lazy" analogy. Otherwise I"m the laziest SOB around.

I wasn't on the team. I'm just relaying what my friends that were on the team always told me about him. We did talk quite a bit on who they thought would follow TO as HC. None of them spoke highly of him being the next HC.

So which NBA team do you play for? There's a big difference from a hobby of a pick up BB game and flag football than D1 football. Like I said, I'm just relaying what members of the mid 90's teams told me. Take it for what it's worth.

I keep reading opinions about Gill "Not being ready" with nothing to back it up..Like several of you are just repeating the party line or something you read in a previous post.

If anything, he got his first HBC position a little late in life..You're probably never "ready" for Nebraska until after it happens. (7 years after in Ozzy's case).

I wasn't on the team. I'm just relaying what my friends that were on the team always told me about him. We did talk quite a bit on who they thought would follow TO as HC. None of them spoke highly of him being the next HC.

So which NBA team do you play for? There's a big difference from a hobby of a pick up BB game and flag football than D1 football. Like I said, I'm just relaying what members of the mid 90's teams told me. Take it for what it's worth.

You are right, it is a big difference in what's at stake. I have heard this statement about Gill being lazy, but it's the same comment that gets repeated. I just try to take things fully into consideration. I think you do too. I just would prefer that it doesnt circle up a "Gill is lazy" argument/rumor blah, blah, blah. It might be warranted, it might not.

Here is a curious thought-I heard on the Jim Rome show an interview with Monte Kiffin's son who coaches the Raiders. Rome flat out asked him if his Dad would coach for Osborne if he asked and Kiffin's son said yes without hesitation. How awesome would that be?

Monte Kiffin from the Tampa Bay Bucs is a better choice. He already said he wants the job. He has the Husker player exoerience under Devaney on offense and defense, he was Defensive coordinator when the Huskers won in 70 and 71 and McBride was his assistant, and he has a wealth of defensive knoweledge that will ressurrect the Blackshirts. His son was on the Jim Rome show and he said his Dad was passed over by Peterson but that he would come back if TO calls him for the job. This would be an awesome situation with many positive implications for Big Red goodness! Sure to purge any remaining Callahanitis out by the spring game in '08! :bonez