Bo Pelini A Risky Choice?

For some reason Bo just seems like the right coach.. Gill just doesn't have it yet to coach a school like Neb.. Bo has been to the pros with Green Bay then to 3 college school us/ou/lsu and I think he is ready.. Bo may not like to recruit but I have heard Gill is lazy doesnt show up to the office early an is the first one to leave.. How can a person that doesnt care that much run the ship at Neb???

Bo has never been Head Coach. Gill has been a head coach for two years!! I really doubt the integrity of the Gill is lazy rumor. It just doesn't fit his MO.

One of the comments made on 1620 this afternoon was that the boys feel he's already, in Osborne's mind, been chosen. They said that they could see Turner coming on board as the Head Coach and Osborne being his mentor, like Devany was for Osborne. I am perfectly comfortable with that. I continue to hear the 'Gill isn't ready' but no one has yet said why. I think he's just as ready, if not more, than Bo Pelini. Bo's only ever coached the defense. He doesn't have any experience with the day to day overall running of a the entire football team...Gill has that experience. I think he'll be the one. We'll all find out in a couple of weeks.

Go Big Red!

TLS2

(Moderator: If this post should've been placed on the Rumorville site, please feel free to move it-I wasn't sure as the information I shared here is factual.)

I heard about this tidbit on Bo Pelini on 1620 'The Zone' this afternoon and looked the quote up. It was by Kirk Bohls a writer for the American Statesman Staff (Austin Texas newspaper) The article was about who would be the next head coach at A&M. This is what he said about Pelini:

"LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini's emotional, but doesn't like recruiting and isn't very media-friendly. Let Nebraska make that mistake." http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../1106bohls.html

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M AFRAID OF and why I don't want Bo Pelini to be the next head coach for Nebraska.

HIRE TURNER GILL! (According to the boys at 1620-they believe that Osborne has already decided and Turner is the guy....we shall see!)

Mike'l believes this. It is his theory, and his theory alone. Damon Benning does not have Turner among his top three, which go: Randy Edsell, Paul Johnson, Bo Pelini.

Everyone will have theories over the next couple weeks, but there is only one person who really knows what's going to happen.

Jeremy Crabtree stated last week that Pelini hasn't had to deal with recruiting since being in college since he's been a coordinator, it's not that he doesn't like it, he just hasn't done a lot of it. He can hire people to recruit.

For some reason Bo just seems like the right coach.. Gill just doesn't have it yet to coach a school like Neb.. Bo has been to the pros with Green Bay then to 3 college school us/ou/lsu and I think he is ready.. Bo may not like to recruit but I have heard Gill is lazy doesnt show up to the office early an is the first one to leave.. How can a person that doesnt care that much run the ship at Neb???

Bo has never been Head Coach. Gill has been a head coach for two years!! I really doubt the integrity of the Gill is lazy rumor. It just doesn't fit his MO.

One of the comments made on 1620 this afternoon was that the boys feel he's already, in Osborne's mind, been chosen. They said that they could see Turner coming on board as the Head Coach and Osborne being his mentor, like Devany was for Osborne. I am perfectly comfortable with that. I continue to hear the 'Gill isn't ready' but no one has yet said why. I think he's just as ready, if not more, than Bo Pelini. Bo's only ever coached the defense. He doesn't have any experience with the day to day overall running of a the entire football team...Gill has that experience. I think he'll be the one. We'll all find out in a couple of weeks.

Go Big Red!

TLS2

It's not a lot but he did prepare the team for the bowl game against MSU in 2003. Most people want Bo cause he's got the defensive philosiphy, something thats missing around here now. Also, if Bo is not ready how come LSU would hire him in a heartbeat if Miles left? Plus, for a guy to get HC experience he needs to be one. Is it a risk? Yes, but the key things that are apparently missing this season he's shown: passion, firey attitude and motivation. For him to caoch the guys in 2002 after Solich got fired (which pissed a lot of players off) has to say something about him.

Ya, the guys at 1620 the Zone do not have Gill as their choice and they both spoke about how they thought he is not ready for ht job. Something I've said for a couple weeks now. One thing to think about...If Gill wasn't from Nebraska would he even be considered for this job???? NO! That's why we don't want him as coach, he isn't ready. TO can't go out and just hire him because he played at Nebraska because he is NOT the best candidate for the job at this time point. Maybe 5-6 years down the road....MAYBE!

Ya, the guys at 1620 the Zone do not have Gill as their choice and they both spoke about how they thought he is not ready for ht job. Something I've said for a couple weeks now. One thing to think about...If Gill wasn't from Nebraska would he even be considered for this job???? NO! That's why we don't want him as coach, he isn't ready. TO can't go out and just hire him because he played at Nebraska because he is NOT the best candidate for the job at this time point. Maybe 5-6 years down the road....MAYBE!

once again we have the same thought process.

For some reason Bo just seems like the right coach.. Gill just doenst have it yet to coach a school like Neb.. Bo has been to the pros with Green Bay then to 3 college school us/ou/lsu and I think he is ready.. Bo may not like to recruit but I have heard Gill is lazy doesnt show up to the office early an is the first one to leave.. How can a person that doesnt care that much run the ship at Neb???

Do you have a link for Gill being lazy?

I heard this same rumor but about Gill when he was a player not as a coach. And even then the rumor had no evidence. TO has known Gill a really long time, I'm going to trust his take on whether Gill will be a good HC over any of these internet rumors.

Why do you need a link?? Will it make you feel better that some dipsh*t reporter said he thought Gill was lazy?? The idiot that wrote this article has no idea whether Pelini is a good recruiter. Not saying I do, but just because it's published doesn't make it true.

Turner Gill will be the Biggest mistake ever...worse than Bill Callahan. I know that Turner Gill was an amazing player but do i have to remind you that he's coaching at Buffalo....BUFFALO. Coaching at Buffalo and Nebraska is one huge giant leap and I don't think that Turner Gill will be the right fit.

He may keep the tradition going, he may fire up the players, he may have played for NU in the past, but I don't think that he can get us back into the NC hunt. If Gill had coached at a big time school like OU, LSU, USC, and so forth, then we should consider hiring Gill if he turned their program around.

I'm rooting for Bo Pelini for what he's done in the NFL and what he's accomplished at NU, OU, and LSU. But I'm feeling more love for Paul Johnson and for what he's done for Navy for the past 5 years, 6 years if you're counting this year. Paul Johnson as a better record at Navy 37-25 than Jim Grobe does at Wake Forrest 37-35.

But that's just my opinion and we are looking at a great list of possible coaches to coach at NU....TO has one tough job to accomplish.

Turner Gill is not ready after 18 months of HC experience at the D-I level to coach Nebraska. Why are we selling ourselves short? Why not get someone that has proven that they can be a HC over more than 1 1/2 seasons? We all love Turner Gill as a person, he's just not ready for that large of a jump.

Pelini hasn't been a HC anywhere either, except for one bowl game that every Bo Pelini fan out there holds up like the holy grail of coaching. He's a great DC, and I think he could recruit at Nebraska, but again, why are we settling for someone else's DC?

Let's go get ourselves a HEAD coach, like Paul Johnson, Joe Glenn, or Jim Grobe. We're Nebraska, why are we making a case for candidates that wouldn't get a call back from K-State?

For him to caoch the guys in 2002 after Solich got fired (which pissed a lot of players off) has to say something about him.

Well -- all it really says is that he was more loyal to the players and program than he was to Solich - which is not inherently bad. What it probably says for sure is he guessed he would have had a better chance at the head coaching position by staying on to coach the game: had he bailed out when Solich got fired it's a lock he would have gotten zero consideration from Pud.

Admittedly I'm less passionate about this upcoming choice than others on this board, but I lean with others who suggest BP is not the best choice.

I think TO will go with somene hat has a good track record / has proven himself in the role of head coach, not coordinator. I also think that at least one or two of the current staff will stay on -- TO is big on continuity for the sake of the players and incoming recruits. My guess here is Watson.

I think TO will go with somene hat has a good track record / has proven himself in the role of head coach, not coordinator. I also think that at least one or two of the current staff will stay on -- TO is big on continuity for the sake of the players and incoming recruits. My guess here is Watson.

i dont see osborne keeping anyone from this current staff.

clean house baby

I guess I don't understand the "doesn't like recruiting". Did Pelini make this statement? He wouldn't exactly be the first coach who wasn't medi-friendly.

In the end, any coach we hire is a risk. Look at the risk of BC. Look at the risk A&M found with Franchione which was supposed to be a "safe" hire. IMO, hiring Turner Gill will be as much of a risk if not more than anyone else.

Solich sucked with the media...