What if...

Okay, I know that this is way, way on the outer edge of possibility, but here's something that just struck me. As we've all noticed, regardless of how many points KU hung on us, the O did score 39 points on a very decent defense (okay, I know that KU, having scored 11 TDs, had to kick off to NU at least 12 times so out of 12 possessions 39 points isn't that great... but we can ignore that for the time being). What if Billy C does get another season, gets a good DC, and actually does well next year.

How crappy would we all feel? Yikes... I wonder how many hindsighters we'd have who knew how great he was "all along." Hmm... this is totally just kicking the ol' peanut, but really... Hmm... I guess I'd get to the front of the like at the crow kitchen. But since this most likely will NOT happen, I'm not that worried about it... What's the purpose of this thread? Nothing much... I'm just a bit worried about the ENTIRE fanbase being humbled so soundly :D

There are other issues with him that we've let slide because we're ignorant "option football fans" and he's brought in his "sophisticated NFL system".

I have always had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that he has such a complex system that young guys can't play in it. It's bothered me that the 315 pound lineman can't generate enough of a push that they can run the ball against smaller defenses. There are other stuff, as well.

What would be "good enough" for him next year? A big 12 championship?

Okay, I know that this is way, way on the outer edge of possibility, but here's something that just struck me. As we've all noticed, regardless of how many points KU hung on us, the O did score 39 points on a very decent defense (okay, I know that KU, having scored 11 TDs, had to kick off to NU at least 12 times so out of 12 possessions 39 points isn't that great... but we can ignore that for the time being). What if Billy C does get another season, gets a good DC, and actually does well next year.

How crappy would we all feel? Yikes... I wonder how many hindsighters we'd have who knew how great he was "all along." Hmm... this is totally just kicking the ol' peanut, but really... Hmm... I guess I'd get to the front of the like at the crow kitchen. But since this most likely will NOT happen, I'm not that worried about it... What's the purpose of this thread? Nothing much... I'm just a bit worried about the ENTIRE fanbase being humbled so soundly :D

The sad thing is Callahan had more than enough opportunities to right this ship. He needed to fire Cosgrove long ago, he chose not to due to the fact they are friends. That would have been his only opportunity to get another year.

but he CAN make crudite like nobody's business.

What the hell does having the "crud" have to do with NU football? chuckleshuffle

Have you WATCHED our team this year?!??!? :)

From Wikipedia: "Crudités are traditional French appetizers comprised of grated raw vegetables soaked in a vinaigrette. Crudités often include carrot sticks, pepper strips, celery sticks, and asparagus spears."

That's probably more than anyone cares to know, but I thought I'd be helpful.

cocaine is a helluva drug...

I would have written way more than that if I had been on coke.

good offense; bad offense.....better team next year or not i think we have to look at BC's opinion of Husker nation and i think he believes we are a bunch of back water farmers or something.....he has no respect for our traditions or beliefs...i think that is obvious.....i dont want a guy leading the team that represents every nebraska born son and daughter that thinks we are just sheep that will follow him around not matter what he does.....

Oh, I think he's most likely a conniving person who will do or say anything if he thinks it will fool the people who are too dumb to realize how great he is (all of us), but this was just a hypothetical. Pretty pointless, but... eh.

The sad thing is Callahan had more than enough opportunities to right this ship. He needed to fire Cosgrove long ago, he chose not to due to the fact they are friends. That would have been his only opportunity to get another year.

One thing that gives me hope is that he's too "smart" to listen to suggestions or criticisms from anyone else. Also, I cannot imagine him humbling himself to TO (or any of us hicks) and offering to make changes to save his arse. I think he'll be gone... he's just holding on for a buyout.

I think it'd be a repeat of giving Solich one more year--except Callahan won't win 9 games next year. Not a chance.

I also don't know that he'd be able to find a good DC to come in knowing he'd be gone in a year.

If we ever fire a coach again for having a 9-3 or 10-3 however you want to look at it season again and a top 20 finish, then NCAA needs to come in and just give us the death penalty. Notre Dame almost looked as foolish as we did in their coaching search, but at least they didn't fire a coach that had a top 20 team.

cocaine is a helluva drug...

I'm Rick James Beeeaaacth!!

There's no way Callahan is getting another season. He's not a good coach. He hasn't come back on a team when down at the half since he's arrived. It doesn't matter if he gets someone to put a good defense on the field because he isn't going to be here to see it.

accurate post and now I'm hungry haha

What I would ask you is this. If this is the best we get after 4 years of BC, what exactly do we think we can expect next year? Or for the 4 remaining years on his contract?

I mean, this is year 4 and the quality is in nosedive. The passion is gone...... Year 5 isn't going to be anywhere near a title run. I think right now we'll be lucky to win 7 or 8 games even with a new staff. Now the year after that may be a different story, but with the crew we have now there will just be another 3-5 game losing streak. Cally seems to have one of those in store for us pretty much every year so far.

No, there won't be a major improvement. Originally I though he had promise but if he can't at least be consistent by now, he probably won't ever be. At least if he had 4 strait losing seasons we'd have an idea of what to expect. Maybe even be peaceful about it.. But he's so up and down... With a consistent 5 or 6 win team at least I could enjoy SOME of the games.If they lost every game but were always competitive I'd at least have something to hope for. But we don't even get that from the current staff.

truthfully, I don't have any grudge against him. I think he did his best and it just didn't work out. He kept Cosgrove because he believed in his friend. That's fine. He misjudged, but I can forgive it. But the time has come to just get over it, and turn the page. Pay him his buyout, wish him luck in his next position, and start rebuilding the most important things which is the love and passion we used to have for this team.

I'm not even thinking about championships right now. Just restoring the passion. With the right staff, titles and wins will take care of themselves.