Joe Ganz like Brook Berringer?

In terms of commitment to the team, maybe, but that might be the extent of it. Brooke, despite playing in an option offense, was more of a pocket passer, whereas Ganz is obviously extremely adept at doing some sprint-out work and running the ball. I think he's faster than Brooke, but obviously Berringer wasn't a slouch either if he was running the option. So obviously I'm going back and forth and can't come to a definitive comparison.

But in terms of selflessness and commitment to the team, I think they are similar.

I don't know about that. Brook was pretty fast. At least as fast as Frazier, but probably not as quick. Brook ran the option and could sprint out. 40-yard dash-wise, Brook was probably a little faster than Joe. Brook could had been developed into a pocket passer, but he wasn't that type of QB at NU. Joe is more of a pocket passer than Berringer.

I don't know about that. Brook was pretty fast. At least as fast as Frazier, but probably not as quick. Brook ran the option and could sprint out. 40-yard dash-wise, Brook was probably a little faster than Joe. Brook could had been developed into a pocket passer, but he wasn't that type of QB at NU. Joe is more of a pocket passer than Berringer.

Berringer never had that option (no pun intended) in the offense when he was here. During the draft, they had a moment of silence when the team that was going to select Brook (I think it was the Patriots) pick came up. Brook definitely would have been a pocket passer, obviously, if an NFL team was looking at him in the mid rounds.

As far as leadership/popularity...you hear it everywhere in college football. The most popular/anticipated player on any roster of any team is the backup quarterback. In Joe's case it is no exception. He's well-liked from what it seems, he's been there for 4 years...and the fact that he doesn't completely suck is an added bonus.

In terms of commitment to the team, maybe, but that might be the extent of it. Brooke, despite playing in an option offense, was more of a pocket passer, whereas Ganz is obviously extremely adept at doing some sprint-out work and running the ball. I think he's faster than Brooke, but obviously Berringer wasn't a slouch either if he was running the option. So obviously I'm going back and forth and can't come to a definitive comparison.

But in terms of selflessness and commitment to the team, I think they are similar.

Berringer was faster than Ganz. In the 40, Berringer's time was exactly the same as Tommie's. Where do you get Berringer was a pocket passer? He was never a pocket passer when at NU. I'm sure they would have developed that in the NFL to some extent, but he never was a pocket passer at NU. Berringer had tennis elbow, so he never would have been able to throw 40 to 50 times a game.

I think the best way to compare them is how the team rallies around them. Berringer came in due to an injury just like Ganz did. If Keller was just a junior, there would be an even bigger comparison. The team wanted Berringer to be the starter his senior year, but that didn't happen. The team has responded well to Ganz just like it did Berringer. If Ganz can get us bowl eligible, it will be comparable to how Berringer got us into the NC game in 94'. Yeah, I think there's a lot of comparisons that can be drawn between the two. Neither one was the "chosen" one, but each came in and have shown that maybe they should have been.

Yeah, I think there's a lot of comparisons that can be drawn between the two. Neither one was the "chosen" one, but each came in and have shown that maybe they should have been.

Suggesting that Berringer should have been the starter over Tommie Frazier is a joke. Berringer was a great back-up and an adequate starter. Nothing more, nothing less. I would have been very surprised if he ever made an NFL roster. He was very committed to the team, and his death was extremely tragic, but he was not the football legend in the way that many people want to remember him.

please don't take this the wrong way, i have a lot of respect for what brook berringer did,

but would brook berringer be the legend he is had he not died so tragically?

Absolutely! I think his death if anything has dampened his legacy.

Think about it – Berringer was the closest thing Nebraska had that resembled a true NFL QB in 20 years. I have no doubt whatsoever that he was going to be drafted, and he would have at least gotten a shot on the field. I believe he would have had at worst a decent NFL career. The kid could really play.

Take away a 3-7 year career (or longer?) and all we have to go on is his body of work at NU. That’s certainly impressive, but with nearly two decades of offensive flops in the NFL before Brook, he would have been Nebraska’s “favorite Pro” if he had any measure of success.

please don't take this the wrong way, i have a lot of respect for what brook berringer did,

but would brook berringer be the legend he is had he not died so tragically?

Absolutely! I think his death if anything has dampened his legacy.

Think about it – Berringer was the closest thing Nebraska had that resembled a true NFL QB in 20 years. I have no doubt whatsoever that he was going to be drafted, and he would have at least gotten a shot on the field. I believe he would have had at worst a decent NFL career. The kid could really play.

Take away a 3-7 year career (or longer?) and all we have to go on is his body of work at NU. That’s certainly impressive, but with nearly two decades of offensive flops in the NFL before Brook, he would have been Nebraska’s “favorite Pro” if he had any measure of success.

:yeah:yeah

I'd say that Scott Frost was more of an NFL type QB than Berringer, and the NFL didn't even consider giving Frost a shot at QB. Berringer's numbers were nothing spectacular. Sure compared to Mickey Joseph and Joe Dailey, Berringer looks like a great NFL style QB, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

I'd say that Scott Frost was more of an NFL type QB than Berringer, and the NFL didn't even consider giving Frost a shot at QB. Berringer's numbers were nothing spectacular. Sure compared to Mickey Joseph and Joe Dailey, Berringer looks like a great NFL style QB, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Frosty was never going to be an NFL QB. He was never cut out for it. If Bill Walsh couldn't make him into a passer, there's no way anyone else could, either. Frost's future in the NFL would always have been at DB, or maybe WR, or even on special teams as a KR or PR.

I have two words for why you probably weren't all that impressed with Berringer: Tommie. Frazier.

Had Brook not played "against" one of the greatest college football players to lace up cleats he would have knocked our socks off for four years here in Lincoln. Frazier should legitimately be mentioned along with greats like Herschel Walker and Archie Griffin. That's some pretty amazing company to be in, and we can't have expected too much from a guy competing with that for playing time.

No, Berringer had far, far more potential in the NFL than Scott did.