Why the infatuation with Turner Gill?

Gill's resume doesn't stack up to the likes of a Jim Grobe or a Gary Patterson or a Brian Kelly.

Heck, on paper, Gill's resume doesn't even stack up to Craig Bohl's at this point is their careers.

Gill may be successful as a head coach at NU, but the risk is MUCH HIGHER than those other guys simply because you don't have as many data points from which to draw conclusions.

For me this whole issue is one of faith versus fact.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gill and think he has done a good job. But most supporters seem to be of the mind that Gill "is the natural fit" or that he knows how to win "the Nebraska Way". They hold a deep faith that there is something near-magical about Nebraska football and if only we could get one of our own back we would rekindle our winning ways.

I am on the other side of this issue. Nebraska football is not some mythical beast. There is no unique "Nebraska Way". The best thing to do is to look for someone who has a solid resume and has proven to be a great leader of men on the football field. It’s an empirical exercise (who has the best resume for the job) as opposed to some type of ephemeral thing (who has the best character to restore the Husker Way).

To me, its like the second group is trying to appoint some type of wizard whereas the first group is looking for a qualified CEO.

Maybe because we have had 4 years of destruction of the Husker Nation tradition that the idea of a coach who knows that tradition from experience is such a turn on. It may also be that the idea of a coach who would want to stay for a long time (not just till his resume is built up enough for the next step) is a calming thought.

Either way, I believe that he could be a very good coach.

:restore:restore:restore

Gill's resume doesn't stack up to the likes of a Jim Grobe or a Gary Patterson or a Brian Kelly.

Heck, on paper, Gill's resume doesn't even stack up to Craig Bohl's at this point is their careers.

Gill may be successful as a head coach at NU, but the risk is MUCH HIGHER than those other guys simply because you don't have as many data points from which to draw conclusions.

For me this whole issue is one of faith versus fact.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gill and think he has done a good job. But most supporters seem to be of the mind that Gill "is the natural fit" or that he knows how to win "the Nebraska Way". They hold a deep faith that there is something near-magical about Nebraska football and if only we could get one of our own back we would rekindle our winning ways.

I am on the other side of this issue. Nebraska football is not some mythical beast. There is no unique "Nebraska Way". The best thing to do is to look for someone who has a solid resume and has proven to be a great leader of men on the football field. It’s an empirical exercise (who has the best resume for the job) as opposed to some type of ephemeral thing (who has the best character to restore the Husker Way).

To me, its like the second group is trying to appoint some type of wizard whereas the first group is looking for a qualified CEO.

Right on the mark.

If we get a new staff, whomever Osborne picks I will support. My favorites are Bo, Turner or Kiffiin. I would really like to see a hometown guy here. I know Bo isn't a Husker by birth, but he bled Red for the year he was here, and his family liked it, so they wanted to be Huskers too. Turner is Turner, I know how he treated the players and the members of the staff, he may struggle and he may not. Did anyone seriously think Osborne was a good pick when they first gave him the reigns. Kiffin would just be good, he's got the ties and the experience.

But Osborne knows way more than I do about football and the coaches out there, I trust him to do what he thinks is best.