Wow I am going to get blasted but

Travis9

I think Callahan should stay if the following all happens:

1. The Defensive staff is overhauled. Wyatt, Busch, Coz, all of them go except Elmo.

2. He is told in no uncertain terms that he needs to let the position coaches coach more. Today he tells Wags how to block the plays. Wags is a very good coach and he needs to be able to Block the way he wants to block.

3. He needs to be told and to promise that a greater emphasis will be put on running the football.

4. He needs to be the CEO and give up the reigns of the offense to Watson.

The reasons i think this are:

1. A new coaching staff in its entirety sets a program back period.

2. There have been some good things offensively that he has done and installed.

3. our defensive coaches for the most part are out of their league here.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game

5. TO let his coaches coach, in the mid 70's he turned the entire run game over to Tenopir. He let him scheme the run game and block the run game how he felt best.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players.

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

1. The Defensive staff is overhauled. Wyatt, Busch, Coz, all of them go except Elmo.

2. He is told in no uncertain terms that he needs to let the position coaches coach more. Today he tells Wags how to block the plays. Wags is a very good coach and he needs to be able to Block the way he wants to block.

3. He needs to be told and to promise that a greater emphasis will be put on running the football.

4. Cally has the best person in the world to turn to in order to figure out a run game

5. TO let his coaches coach, in the mid 70's he turned the entire run game over to Tenopir. He let him scheme the run game and block the run game how he felt best.

Cally has had a bad year but do we really want to risk our program on the selection of our next coach. Has Cally truly done that terrible of a job. I think Pedey was a much bigger problem than Cally in terms of changing the history and tradition of the program and of alientating the former players.

Will i be sad if he is fired, no? I just dont truly think that changin the whole staff is the best way to go.

cally would rather take his money and quit, than be told how to run a college football team....never happen. besides, if i have to tell the HC how to run the team, why the hell do i need him on staff??

I think he's to controlling to let any of those things happen except maybe the 1st one. He won't give up control for anything, that just not his mantra.

Not his mantra? Too stubborn or arrogant? Are you kidding?! NO coach will let how they coach be dictated to them. You don't say, "This is how you will alter your offensive philosophy." You don't say, "You must start running more if you want to stay on as coach."

Seriously.

That's ridiculous.

Yup!! You are going to get blasted!!

IMO- HCs should get six years minimum.

BEAT CU!!

Well i have to say that i didnt come up with this on my own this idea and this plan came from someone that knows more about football than all of us on this board combined. someone that is close to TO and to the program. This is not inside information their isnt any, this is a former coaches perspective on what he feels should happen. Calling me an idiot is calling him an idiot

If you've ever been in management or have had employees, the first thing you learn is that if you have to stand over them and tell them how to do their job then you might as well get rid of them and do it yourself. For someone (Clownahan) who's been in coaching for the better part of his life, he shouldn't have to be told how to coach. We didn't go out and hire some clown off the street back in 04. Coaching is what he's supposed to know how to do. If TO has to stand over him and tell him how to do his job constantly, then TO might as well pick up his whistle and ball cap and coach the team himself.

Not his mantra? Too stubborn or arrogant? Are you kidding?! NO coach will let how they coach be dictated to them. You don't say, "This is how you will alter your offensive philosophy." You don't say, "You must start running more if you want to stay on as coach."

Seriously.

That's ridiculous.

:yeah

What exactly is the point of having some one as a coach if he can't make any of his own decisions? Why have a head coach at all?

I think that if Callahan is willing to make changes he has a good chance of being retained. Some of what you hit on, I agree. Cosgrove and Elmassian for sure need to go. Watson needs to have more input. His presence on the sideline has made a big difference. The thing Callahan has going for him is that his boss is one of the few people that knows exactly what he is going through. I think the last thing Osborne wants to do is fire him and that if Callahan is willing to make some changes, he may indeed get another shot. If Callahan is too stubborn to make any changes, he is as good as gone. His pride may be his biggest enemy.

If you've ever been in management or have had employees, the first thing you learn is that if you have to stand over them and tell them how to do their job then you might as well get rid of them and do it yourself. For someone (Clownahan) who's been in coaching for the better part of his life, he shouldn't have to be told how to coach. We didn't go out and hire some clown off the street back in 04. Coaching is what he's supposed to know how to do. If TO has to stand over him and tell him how to do his job constantly, then TO might as well pick up his whistle and ball cap and coach the team himself.

can you stop with the name calling already?

jeez... Yes we all know your opinion of our Coach, but the name calling is getting be a bit much, bush league...give it a rest. Obviously I don't like it...I'm neither for or against Coach Callahan, but can we just quit with the hgh school name calling.

I just do not see it happening. There has been way to much "unknown" for the past month. You would think TO would have already given Callahan his assurance that he would be back, but some changes to his staff are needed beyond recommendation.

Suppose that took place? Suppose Callahan said "these are my guys, let me do my job". And the friction began.

We just do not know.

Somewhere from the preceding days of firing Steve Pederson, hiring Tom Osborne, and the present time, there has been too much uncertainty from the coaching staff, players, and recruits. So why would Dr. Tom allow the coach to be unsure if he would be back or not, while some recruits start de-committing? That doesnt make sense.

Since that introduction, it seemed clear at that point Callahan knew he was walking on eggshells.

If he returns, then I will have to be supportive the best I can. But looking back, I will also feel totally snowballed by the whole situation.