The Bo AND Turner Show

A little less than 5 years ago, two guys worked together to come up with a game plan to beat Michigan State in the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

The Huskers gave up 3 points to the Spartans who managed only 18 yards rushing on 23 carries. The Nebraska defense sacked MSU QB Jeff Smoker 5 times and came up with three pass interceptions.

The Nebraska offense tallied 17 points and 389 yards of total offense (229 yards rushing, 160 yards passing). The Huskers did not have a turnover.

Think about those numbers for a second. The defense came up with 3 turnovers and gave up only 18 yards rushing. The 2007 Huskers got one turnover in their last 7 games and I doubt any of us could count the number of individual running plays of more than 18 yards the "blackshirts" gave up this season.

OK, so the 2003 Alamo Bowl was one game. But it was one game that followed a tumultuous month of coaches and players pulling together after the firing of head coach Frank Solich.

Fast forward to November 2007. The two coaches that led Nebraska to that Alamo Bowl victory are vying for the same job, or are they? Could it be that they are going to be asked to pull the team together after the firing of a different head coach?

The guy who coached that team, Bo Pelini, has been a defensive coordinator for two very successful programs since leaving Nebraska. He is apparently very interested in coming back as head coach at Nebraska because he just took a plane ride from Louisiana to Georgia with the University President an the Athletic Director to talk it over. I wonder if the subject of assistant coaches came up?

The conventional wisdom is that Turner Gill would not leave a head coaching position for an assistant coaching job. For most guys, that would be too big of a blow to the ego. But what if the guy you worked for most of your life, the guy you asked to be the best man at your wedding, the guy you admire more than anyone in the world, asked you (on behalf of the new head coach) to come home and help rebuild their broken house? Would you do it if you knew you weren't going to be the foreman?

I know, it's a stretch. But this is Rumorville. It's the place for "what if's". Can you imagine it? Do you think Tom Osborne can imagine it? Most importantly, can Bo Pelini and Turner Gill imagine it?

Will Tom Osborne go for two?

A little less than 5 years ago, two guys worked together to come up with a game plan to beat Michigan State in the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

The Huskers gave up 3 points to the Spartans who managed only 18 yards rushing on 23 carries. The Nebraska defense sacked MSU QB Jeff Smoker 5 times and came up with three pass interceptions.

The Nebraska offense tallied 17 points and 389 yards of total offense (229 yards rushing, 160 yards passing). The Huskers did not have a turnover.

Think about those numbers for a second. The defense came up with 3 turnovers and gave up only 18 yards rushing. The 2007 Huskers got one turnover in their last 7 games and I doubt any of us could count the number of individual running plays of more than 18 yards the "blackshirts" gave up this season.

OK, so the 2003 Alamo Bowl was one game. But it was one game that followed a tumultuous month of coaches and players pulling together after the firing of head coach Frank Solich.

Fast forward to November 2007. The two coaches that led Nebraska to that Alamo Bowl victory are vying for the same job, or are they? Could it be that they are going to be asked to pull the team together after the firing of a different head coach?

The guy who coached that team, Bo Pelini, has been a defensive coordinator for two very successful programs since leaving Nebraska. He is apparently very interested in coming back as head coach at Nebraska because he just took a plane ride from Louisiana to Georgia with the University President an the Athletic Director to talk it over. I wonder if the subject of assistant coaches came up?

The conventional wisdom is that Turner Gill would not leave a head coaching position for an assistant coaching job. For most guys, that would be too big of a blow to the ego. But what if the guy you worked for most of your life, the guy you asked to be the best man at your wedding, the guy you admire more than anyone in the world, asked you (on behalf of the new head coach) to come home and help rebuild their broken house? Would you do it if you knew you weren't going to be the foreman?

I know, it's a stretch. But this is Rumorville. It's the place for "what if's". Can you imagine it? Do you think Tom Osborne can imagine it? Most importantly, can Bo Pelini and Turner Gill imagine it?

Will Tom Osborne go for two?

Exactly. BP should've been the man 4 year's ago. Yes he was very green, however I think he would've been more aptly suited for NU than Billy C.

Also, for TG...coming back home to be an Asst hc and OC isn't a step down IMO. I would be willing to bet if offered that opportunity came about after not getting the HC job at NU, that he'd jump all over it. :)

Why is everyone so freaking in luv with Bo and Turner? Bo coached here 1 year, 1 damn year and everyone loves him. In that 1 year he had 3 blow out loses to teams we should have beat. He does not get how to defend mobile quarterbacks...don't get the love for him. It's much easier to coach at LSU for gods sake. Talent abounds. Still he loses to mobile quarterbacks, but you all want him. Ugh... And Turner played for us and oh my he's a head coach now at Buffalo, so that in itself makes him qualified. Whatever. Not in my book. I would like to see a proven winner, w/ NE roots or not, be looked at seriously. Will that happen, probably not. TO will do what he wants. Always has.

And god help this entire football program if Frank comes back. -this is for Huskerjack23

Why Bo as head coach and TG as OC? Turner is the one with head coaching experience, while Bo is the one who's likely to get let go at his coordinator position. Why shouldn't TG be HC and Bo be DC, as their personalities seem to better fit those roles.

I would be for it either way. We get the best of both worlds, good defensive and offensive minds. And Turner was here for years under TO and knows how to practice right (none of this no pads bs and not letting 1st teamers on both sides go at each other full throttle). I Like Pelini as HC, but the other way around would be nice too. For some reason though, I just feel it will be Pelini as HC and Turner as possible OC. Not sure why, gut feeling I guess.

I remember telling one of my coworkers early in the season that I really wanted Pelini four years ago. I couldn't have imagined that we would be were we are at now.

Why is everyone so freaking in luv with Bo and Turner? Bo coached here 1 year, 1 damn year and everyone loves him. In that 1 year he had 3 blow out loses to teams we should have beat. He does not get how to defend mobile quarterbacks...don't get the love for him. It's much easier to coach at LSU for gods sake. Talent abounds. Still he loses to mobile quarterbacks, but you all want him. Ugh... And Turner played for us and oh my he's a head coach now at Buffalo, so that in itself makes him qualified. Whatever. Not in my book. I would like to see a proven winner, w/ NE roots or not, be looked at seriously. Will that happen, probably not. TO will do what he wants. Always has.

And god help this entire football program if Frank comes back. -this is for Huskerjack23

The love for Bo mostly comes from the fact that ALL of his defenses have been great! There isn't really any defense out there that has been able to contain a good mobile quarterback. Look what Vince Young did in the NC a few years back. Shoot, no one could contain him. Also, Tommie Frazier anyone! Bo has his faults for sure, but under the right dirrection (TO), he could do very well. As far as TO doing what he wants, well he didn't want to fire BC, but did it because it was the right thing to do. If TO has shown us anything, it is that he will do what is best for the program, (popular or not) not himself.

:asshat

Frank must of been horrible here.. i mean, winning 75% of your games with a coaching staff you were forced to keep because of TO's wishes.. then going eventually 10-3 the 1st season with YOUR staff is horrible.. ffs..

Bo lit a FIRE in our players that we have yet to see since.. players would run through walls for the guy.. they wouldnt run to the endzone for cally..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But back to the original topic..

originally i would have said that there is no way that turner would come back to NU unless it was for the HC job.. however, i could see this actually happening.. if Bo were to get the HC job, it would be great for Turner to get a shot at OC if he wanted it, because it brings back in that husker connection that so many want.. also, if and when Bo decides to leave for another HC job we have Turner right here to take over as HC.. not a horrible idea, and i would love to see it happen.. but only time will tell

Why is everyone so freaking in luv with Bo and Turner? Bo coached here 1 year, 1 damn year and everyone loves him. In that 1 year he had 3 blow out loses to teams we should have beat. He does not get how to defend mobile quarterbacks...don't get the love for him. It's much easier to coach at LSU for gods sake. Talent abounds. Still he loses to mobile quarterbacks, but you all want him. Ugh...

In case everyone hasn't noticed, just about every DC in the game has trouble with a mobile QB. If there was a DC out there that could successfully shut down mobile QBs, every other DC would be imitating their game plans.

Gill as an OC would be great, but what about Watson? His son plays ball for us and he's a good OC now <_<

I like to see Watson stay, but if we had the chance at Gill in either position would depend on where Watson would stay. I like Watson, I think he could easily be a "Nebraska Guy".