I wish Bo Pelini was black!

What does the BCA do? I would be OK with the organization if it main role is to get black assistants on the radar screen and sale their credentials. That could be a great help for black assistants. But I'm not OK if its a Jesse Jackson quota thing.

I like the NFL rule that requires you interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies. I used to not like it because I don't like the idea of bringing in a coach for an interview when everyone knows he has no chance of getting the job. It's a little demeaning. But its just rediculous how few black coaches there are and I think such a requirement could do a lot of good in getting more good coordinators on the radar.

:yeah

There are so few Black head coaches that using "previous HC experience" as a criteria is racist by default. I don't think that anyone has racist intentions, we're just living in the aftermath of centuries of racism and it's only been in the recent past that we've really started making strides. However, demanding HCing experience eliminates almost *all* Black coaches from HC positions. You have to make certain demands to get over this hump. I'm really surprised that A&M was allowed to not interview... well... anyone. I know that there are certain requirements at the state and university level in Nebraska that require some number of interviews and interviews with minorities to meet diversity requirements.

Interviewing coaches based on race is idiotic. Who out there really thinks if Tony Dungy decided to move on wouldn't have a ton of teams wanting him? Look at the guy from the Steelers. He's black, but I'm amazed he got the job because of 1) his age 2) what radar could he have possibly been on? He's turned out to be very good. Good coaches no matter what race find good coaching jobs.

Jeeze, dude. What's wrong with giving a minority coach an interview? They don't have to interview ALL of them, usually just one to meet requirements. There has been a pervasive racism that has marginalized black coaches historically. Read my post above-- I don't think that anyone is going out of the way to "keep them down," but the way things have worked out until the mid 70s has established a series of white coaches with HC experience. Major programs that use "Head Coaching Experience" as a requirement will not be interviewing minority head coaches because there haven't been many until recently (and it's still a very low number).

The BCA is really upset this year about Texas A&M and Nebraska not choosing a black coach. I read an article from Saturday about the racial issue that is among us. I wish we could please them, but I wanted Pelini. Not because he was white, but because he was the best candidate. I wish Pelini was black, so we could all sleep better.

I don't see the BCA being upset with nebraska http://bcasports.cstv.com/genrel/120207aaa.html Is there another place where the BCA made a comment about the NU position?

I read another article earlier. The article had the same line you used 'There are so few Black head coaches that using "previous HC experience" as a criteria is racist by default. '

Ive been trying to refind it, but not having much luck. It wasnt overly critical of Nebraska, but I think it said they were disappointed Gill didnt get it.

The BCA is really upset this year about Texas A&M and Nebraska not choosing a black coach. I read an article from Saturday about the racial issue that is among us. I wish we could please them, but I wanted Pelini. Not because he was white, but because he was the best candidate. I wish Pelini was black, so we could all sleep better.

I don't see the BCA being upset with nebraska http://bcasports.cstv.com/genrel/120207aaa.html Is there another place where the BCA made a comment about the NU position?

I read another article earlier. The article had the same line you used 'There are so few Black head coaches that using "previous HC experience" as a criteria is racist by default. '

Ive been trying to refind it, but not having much luck. It wasnt overly critical of Nebraska, but I think it said they were disappointed Gill didnt get it.

Wow, really? They had the same wording? :D I was sitting here trying to find a way to say it that didn't point fingers (because I don't think that any fingers need to be pointed at anyone) and that's the one that made sense. I know that I didn't read it so it's not cryptomnesia or anything :)

I'd be surprised if they were too critical of NU-- being coaches (or people who are associated with coaches) they know that NU needed a defensive mind to survive. NU met the diversity requirement and I don't doubt that Gill got a serious look. I'd be pretty pissed if they were questioning the decision. :madash

i wonder how many coaches out there would like to have an interview just because they were black, and not because they were just qualified for the job. that is condesending if you ask me

oh yeah, if Turner Gill was a defensive minded coach he would have gotten the job at NU, and that is the only reason that he didnt get it

i wonder how many coaches out there would like to have an interview just because they were black, and not because they were just qualified for the job. that is condesending if you ask me

I'm sure they wouldn't like that at all, but they don't have the requisite experience that stems from the black-coach-excluding past, then I'm sure that's not the case. I mean, okay, I'm conducting a search and know that I *need* to interview a black coach. I'm not just going to pull a name out of a hat because interviewing costs money (time of interviewer, travel costs, etc.), so I want to interview someone who is actually really good. However good he may be, though, he would have gotten passed over because he's most likely not a head coach. So this might make me look a little more closely at nearly-qualified coaches (sans HC experience) who might really end up impressing me. The idea that a major university is going to just pick any random Black coach is pretty absurd.

oh yeah, if Turner Gill was a defensive minded coach he would have gotten the job at NU, and that is the only reason that he didnt get it

I think so, too.

Jeeze, dude. What's wrong with giving a minority coach an interview? They don't have to interview ALL of them, usually just one to meet requirements. There has been a pervasive racism that has marginalized black coaches historically. Read my post above-- I don't think that anyone is going out of the way to "keep them down," but the way things have worked out until the mid 70s has established a series of white coaches with HC experience. Major programs that use "Head Coaching Experience" as a requirement will not be interviewing minority head coaches because there haven't been many until recently (and it's still a very low number).

See: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as Amended (Federal Law)

See: Nebraska Fair Employment Practice Act (State Law)

Choosing whom to hire, or even whom to interview, based on the color of their skin is illegal. Very, very illegal. The intentions of what you propose are noble, but they are still illegal.

Choosing whom to hire, or even whom to interview, based on the color of their skin is illegal. Very, very illegal. The intentions of what you propose are noble, but they are still illegal.

UNL Search and Hiring Procedures:

"d. Must include a woman and/or minority person if possible. Committee should show ethnic and gender diversity appropriate to the position."

Call the feds. ;)

I think that the law prohibits excluding based on race and limiting searches to a race (or using race as the hiring criteria). It's a little tricky, but I think that having a policy in place that mandates at least one interviewee represent a minority race is okay (as long as it doesn't require one race, minority or otherwise, over another).

"d. Must include a woman and/or minority person if possible. Committee should show ethnic and gender diversity appropriate to the position."

Call the feds.

Policy does not supersede law. I see it every single day. Note the words "if possible."

Interviewing coaches based on race is idiotic. Who out there really thinks if Tony Dungy decided to move on wouldn't have a ton of teams wanting him? Look at the guy from the Steelers. He's black, but I'm amazed he got the job because of 1) his age 2) what radar could he have possibly been on? He's turned out to be very good. Good coaches no matter what race find good coaching jobs.

What I was saying is what good is a "token" interview? Most teams know who they want when they fire their previous HC. If that person they want doesn't happen to be black, interviewing a black candidate is nothing more than a token interview. There's absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing a minority coach. However, what purpose does it serve if they have absolutely zero chance of getting the job?

Obviously A&M wanted Sherman. They never interviewed anyone as near as I can tell black or white. I'm of the opinion that forcing anyone to interview anyone will eventually lead to problems. How long will it be before teams have to interview at least one homosexual? How long will it be before teams have to interview at least one female?

Call the feds.

Policy does not supersede law. I see it every single day. Note the words "if possible."

[see edit] :)

Wow I should really be ticked, because I KNOW, that not one woman was interviewed for it. (I wish there was an eye roll emoticon)

There aren't a lot of women represented in college football (maybe 1, or did she graduate?), so I don't think that it would be a requirement in this case. :-P :)