I wish Bo Pelini was black!

I think that the law prohibits excluding based on race and limiting searches to a race (or using race as the hiring criteria). It's a little tricky, but I think that having a policy in place that mandates at least one interviewee represent a minority race is okay (as long as it doesn't require one race, minority or otherwise, over another).

I don't know what your background is in this field but you come across as someone who knows what's what, so you know that those policies are written as part of a balancing act. They have to try to appease those people who will raise hell if they don't hire minorities while at the same time following enough of the law not to get busted by the EOC agencies. Basically, they operate in a gray area of the law, and it's hard to blame them - there are plenty of people who will file charges as it is, so when those policies come to light they like to have them to point to as evidence of their efforts at diversity.

I actually feel sorry for many of the employers who get charged because they're kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position.

But that's how the laws are written right now.

Im wondering why there arent any women football coaches in the NCAA or NFL. Some of the Woman's basketball and volleyball coaches are male, but none of the men's sports are female.

This is an unfair world we live in.

And they could succeed, as anyone who's watched Goldie Hawn's opus Wildcats could tell you. :)

All kidding aside, I work in an office where, until about four months ago, I was the only male. It was just me and 19 women, but we talked about Husker football all the time, just like any other group of Husker fans.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Every thing seems to have to have a racial overtone. I for one am tired of hearing it. If the BCA wants to do something worth while and not just be an organization that is constantly pissing and moaning, maybe they could look into why so many young African Americans are killing each other. This would seem to be a more pressing mater than who is coaching who and where at. Rest in peace Sean Taylor.

>>>T_O_B

Interviewing coaches based on race is idiotic. Who out there really thinks if Tony Dungy decided to move on wouldn't have a ton of teams wanting him? Look at the guy from the Steelers. He's black, but I'm amazed he got the job because of 1) his age 2) what radar could he have possibly been on? He's turned out to be very good. Good coaches no matter what race find good coaching jobs.

Jeeze, dude. What's wrong with giving a minority coach an interview? They don't have to interview ALL of them, usually just one to meet requirements. There has been a pervasive racism that has marginalized black coaches historically. Read my post above-- I don't think that anyone is going out of the way to "keep them down," but the way things have worked out until the mid 70s has established a series of white coaches with HC experience. Major programs that use "Head Coaching Experience" as a requirement will not be interviewing minority head coaches because there haven't been many until recently (and it's still a very low number).

What I was saying is what good is a "token" interview? Most teams know who they want when they fire their previous HC. If that person they want doesn't happen to be black, interviewing a black candidate is nothing more than a token interview. There's absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing a minority coach. However, what purpose does it serve if they have absolutely zero chance of getting the job?

Obviously A&M wanted Sherman. They never interviewed anyone as near as I can tell black or white. I'm of the opinion that forcing anyone to interview anyone will eventually lead to problems. How long will it be before teams have to interview at least one homosexual? How long will it be before teams have to interview at least one female?

I don't think they ask any hires whom they're having sex with. I think that female college football HC interviews will be required once more women start playing :) I know that UNL has special allowances for "target searches," so A&M might have found a way to make it work if they have other search requirements. I know that a lot of the search process is just for show, but in some cases, you never know what you might accidentally find when you are forced to broaden your horizon. :)

Re: Token interview-- I get where you're coming from, but my point is that they wouldn't waste time interviewing someone on a "token" basis. They'll really do their homework and look for good coaches because time and money play such a huge part in any interview (no matter what, at least one work day will most likely be lost from prepping, interviewing, and discussing with the committee/assistants/etc.. Look at how quickly TO was heading out to his scheduled interviews and some people still said that we were taking too long! They aren't going to waste time even with someone they think they won't hire because 1) it would be insulting to the interviewee if you didn't have anything prepared 2) people on the committee who might hold a diversity statement in very high regard would be offended if the "token" were handled dismissively in the follow-up discussion).

I think that the law prohibits excluding based on race and limiting searches to a race (or using race as the hiring criteria). It's a little tricky, but I think that having a policy in place that mandates at least one interviewee represent a minority race is okay (as long as it doesn't require one race, minority or otherwise, over another).

I don't know what your background is in this field but you come across as someone who knows what's what, so you know that those policies are written as part of a balancing act. They have to try to appease those people who will raise hell if they don't hire minorities while at the same time following enough of the law not to get busted by the EOC agencies. Basically, they operate in a gray area of the law, and it's hard to blame them - there are plenty of people who will file charges as it is, so when those policies come to light they like to have them to point to as evidence of their efforts at diversity.

I actually feel sorry for many of the employers who get charged because they're kind of in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position.

But that's how the laws are written right now.

Part of my assistantship is working for a compliance officer-- I don't do anything official, but I am curious about these things so we chat a lot off-handedly about hirings, firings, accommodations, and the like when she's not too busy (and she's usually pretty busy). So I don't want to feign too much more knowledge or experience than I have, which is just a general sense of things.

Every thing seems to have to have a racial overtone. I for one am tired of hearing it. If the BCA wants to do something worth while and not just be an organization that is constantly pissing and moaning, maybe they could look into why so many young African Americans are killing each other. This would seem to be a more pressing mater than who is coaching who and where at. Rest in peace Sean Taylor.

>>>T_O_B

And I'm going to put together a panel to find out why so many white people kill each other and cook meth.

I wasn't insinuating this is what TO did because I think we all know that Gill was more than a token interview. I'm saying what good would it have done for A&M to have interviewed more people or a minority candidate when they already had their guys in mind and were working out the contract details? It would have been a token interview there.

Im wondering why there arent any women football coaches in the NCAA or NFL. Some of the Woman's basketball and volleyball coaches are male, but none of the men's sports are female.

And they could succeed, as anyone who's watched Goldie Hawn's opus Wildcats could tell you. :)

All kidding aside, I work in an office where, until about four months ago, I was the only male. It was just me and 19 women, but we talked about Husker football all the time, just like any other group of Husker fans.

hehe I'm in a class where I'm the only male-- I was teased the first couple of weeks... hmm... I should sue! :D

Wow I should really be ticked, because I KNOW, that not one woman was interviewed for it. (I wish there was an eye roll emoticon)

There aren't a lot of women represented in college football (maybe 1, or did she graduate?), so I don't think that it would be a requirement in this case. :-P :)

I know, I was kidding around. Can you see a woman coach walking into a locker room after a game. Only Goldie Hawn has been able to pull it off. LOL!

Wow I should really be ticked, because I KNOW, that not one woman was interviewed for it. (I wish there was an eye roll emoticon)

There aren't a lot of women represented in college football (maybe 1, or did she graduate?), so I don't think that it would be a requirement in this case. :-P :)

I know, I was kidding around. Can you see a woman coach walking into a locker room after a game. Only Goldie Hawn has been able to pull it off. LOL!

How is this different than Cook walking into the locker room after a volleyball game?

hehe I'm in a class where I'm the only male-- I was teased the first couple of weeks... hmm... I should sue! :D

You and Knapplc should consider yourselves lucky where else do you have those kinds of odds. HEHEHEHEHE!

How is this different than Cook walking into the locker room after a volleyball game?

He doesn't. He has an area where he goes, but he does not go into the girls' dressing area.

I wasn't insinuating this is what TO did because I think we all know that Gill was more than a token interview. I'm saying what good would it have done for A&M to have interviewed more people or a minority candidate when they already had their guys in mind and were working out the contract details? It would have been a token interview there.

Totally. I didn't mean to disagree with you about the situation at A&M nor did I think that that's what you meant TO did :) I was just sort of rolling some thoughts around that you triggered. I'm sure you're right about A&M and Mike Sherman and I really don't know how they got away with it (if they actually got away with anything; I don't have any idea about what state/University hiring policies are in TX... trying... to... avoid... texas... slams...). I know I'm repeating myself here, but there are ways to do targeted searches that are defensible, they probably had a way of making it work in this case (universities have teams of lawyers for a reason :) ).

hehe I know. :)