I highly doubt it's Ganz...

...Next year. Yeah, I understand that he showed great potential and I have nothing but respect for the kid because he has heart and is actually pretty damn mobile. He knows how to scramble.

However, I think that Lee is definitely going to win out. Callahan didn't always play the best guy, as was painfully obvious this season, but I think with Bo and this new staff, the guys who know how to play, will play (including freshman, hopefully). Lee is bigger, faster, and stronger than Ganz in every way. He can do everything that Ganz can do, including scrambling, and probably a little better, plus his arm is dynamite.

It sucks because Ganz has paid his dues to get where he's at, but I think it's going to be a competitive QB battle, but in the end, we're gonna be running our offense with Lee behind center.

This reminds me of thinking of Texas back a few years ago when thinking of Major Applewhite and Simms. Simms was bigger, stronger, and his dad was a Super Bowl champ QB. However, Simms didn't have the intangibles that Applewhite did. All Applewhite ever did was win football games while Simms struggled against top tier teams. Lee is going to be a redshirt freshman isn't he? He'll still have 3 years of eligibility after next year. I think by playing him in mop up duty will give him valuable experience heading into 2009. I think the starting job is Ganz's to lose. He really is the only QB with any experience at all. He's a senior, and he's showed he can come in and move the football. If we get halfway through the season and Lee starts to really grasp the position, I'm ok with starting him. However, I highly doubt we'll see Lee starting the first or second game of the season unless Ganz is injured.

The defense put a ton of pressure on Ganz. If he doesnt move the chains and score TDs, everyone (I assume) knew they couldnt keep the other teams from scoring. That's a lot of weight, man.

Even Joe Montana would have felt it & played about the same. Maybe a little better. But my point is that he did pretty damn good, all things considered.

This might turn into a book so i apologize in advance.

To outright annoint Ganz the starter is plain stupid. If our new coaching staff is worth $5 of what they are being paid then the competition will be open. Half of the expanations on here are the exact reasons why i wanted to see an entirely new coaching staff. I dont want position battles being looked at with biased eyes.

Ganz put up great numbers, he also threw 7 picks and literally should have had 7 more if the opposing Defenses could just catch. Ganz made some really good throws and several really bad throws.

All i ask is for open competition. If it is true open competition then i will be happy. I believe we have to put faith in the coaches to play the best players, so if Ganz lines up under center then i have to believe the best player won, however if it is Lee or Witt then i also have to believe the best player won.

My personal beliefs are in an open competition, Ganz doesnt win. The only thing going for him is a knowledge of a system. As Die Hard fans do we want someone playing simply because they know the system. On the other hand maybe Ganz wins and we should all be happy. I just want an even and open competition, May the best player win.

I also want this for every position, without the precision required under Cally, there is no way anyone can convince me that if there is open competition that swift and petersen beat out Henry, Holt, Brooks, and Paul. I want the best people playing and hope that the competition is there for anyone and everyone to win.

...Next year. Yeah, I understand that he showed great potential and I have nothing but respect for the kid because he has heart and is actually pretty damn mobile. He knows how to scramble.

However, I think that Lee is definitely going to win out. Callahan didn't always play the best guy, as was painfully obvious this season, but I think with Bo and this new staff, the guys who know how to play, will play (including freshman, hopefully). Lee is bigger, faster, and stronger than Ganz in every way. He can do everything that Ganz can do, including scrambling, and probably a little better, plus his arm is dynamite.

It sucks because Ganz has paid his dues to get where he's at, but I think it's going to be a competitive QB battle, but in the end, we're gonna be running our offense with Lee behind center.

This reminds me of thinking of Texas back a few years ago when thinking of Major Applewhite and Simms. Simms was bigger, stronger, and his dad was a Super Bowl champ QB. However, Simms didn't have the intangibles that Applewhite did. All Applewhite ever did was win football games while Simms struggled against top tier teams. Lee is going to be a redshirt freshman isn't he? He'll still have 3 years of eligibility after next year. I think by playing him in mop up duty will give him valuable experience heading into 2009. I think the starting job is Ganz's to lose. He really is the only QB with any experience at all. He's a senior, and he's showed he can come in and move the football. If we get halfway through the season and Lee starts to really grasp the position, I'm ok with starting him. However, I highly doubt we'll see Lee starting the first or second game of the season unless Ganz is injured.

Lee will be a SO next year. He was reshirted this year as a sophomore so he will come back next year and be the same. Still has 3 years of eligibility left though. Witt will have 4.

This might turn into a book so i apologize in advance.

To outright annoint Ganz the starter is plain stupid. If our new coaching staff is worth $5 of what they are being paid then the competition will be open. Half of the expanations on here are the exact reasons why i wanted to see an entirely new coaching staff. I dont want position battles being looked at with biased eyes.

Ganz put up great numbers, he also threw 7 picks and literally should have had 7 more if the opposing Defenses could just catch. Ganz made some really good throws and several really bad throws.

All i ask is for open competition. If it is true open competition then i will be happy. I believe we have to put faith in the coaches to play the best players, so if Ganz lines up under center then i have to believe the best player won, however if it is Lee or Witt then i also have to believe the best player won.

My personal beliefs are in an open competition, Ganz doesnt win. The only thing going for him is a knowledge of a system. As Die Hard fans do we want someone playing simply because they know the system. On the other hand maybe Ganz wins and we should all be happy. I just want an even and open competition, May the best player win.

I also want this for every position, without the precision required under Cally, there is no way anyone can convince me that if there is open competition that swift and petersen beat out Henry, Holt, Brooks, and Paul. I want the best people playing and hope that the competition is there for anyone and everyone to win.

I think everyone wants that. Hopefully it's all implied.

The edge for Ganz is game film. Witt, Lee... are the coaches going to dust off HS tapes? With Ganz, you know what he has done in three plus conference games. And you will not see how a QB reacts to a snotbubble hit during the Spring game. That reality will not happen.

Edge: Ganz

Well, that's what Spring practice is for....may the best man win. :restore

It sucks because Ganz has paid his dues to get where he's at, but I think it's going to be a competitive QB Tattle, but in the end, we're gonna be running our offense with Lee behind center.

Ganz deserves it, but if you were a new coach, would you play someone with 1 year left when you can blame that year on Clownahan, or would you start developing your guy for the next 3 or 4 years? I think Ganz will get screwed so that we can prepare for the future.

You have hit on the most important issue regarding the QB situation at NU next year. NU has had a 1st year/1 year QB this season in Keller (Ganz only played when Keller was hurt), if Ganz is the starter and predominant player at QB next year then NU will have its second straight 1st year/1 year QB in Ganz (yes he played this year -- three games, so for all intents and purposes he is a 1st year QB -- especially in that he'll be in with a new staff). Then, two years from now yet again we have a 1st year QB. That would make 3 1st year QBs in three straight seasons. You do not rebuild that way. That would be bad for a program trying to become competitive.

The rule of thumb is "never go into a rebuilding year with a senior QB as a starter." If you do, then your number of rebuilding years has doubled. It is foolish to invest in a senior QB in a rebuilding year.

If I were in charge, I'd play the better of Lee or Witt as much as I could next year --- at least 50% of the snaps. Go with a two QB system next year if you have to (with Witt or Lee and Ganz) or commit now to Witt or Lee and let them grow as the team grows so that the following year you have a really good chance of competing (next year NU will have little chance at much anyway). But, whatever you do, do not do a 95% Ganz at QB next year.

This has nothing to do with Ganz other than he is a one year guy --- that is not where the investment needs to be. Poor Ganz, seemingly forever in the wrong place at the wrong time.

probally should of had crouch sit out for 50% of his senior year also :sarcasm

Im not saying hes to that quality but he knows the offence and he knows the players. I dont think we can have a great season without him at the helm of it. Its going take both bo and ganz to help turn this thing around. Bo can handle the defence but ganz knows the offence. Definately, Definately let the other 2 play and condition because we will need them. But dont shortchange ganz again, havent we dont that enough.

Ben

Several posts have mentioned Ganz's interceptions as reason he may not be "the guy" next season (I myself in fact have blamed him for the loss at CU in another thread). However, I truly believe that the running game will be signifcantly improved and the focus of the offense. Thus, the passing game will be opened up and Joe won't have to make so many tough throws with 8 guys in coverage. I think he will have a great year next year.

noone wants to short change him. if the competition is open and fair and he wins, GREAT. If it is open and fair and he loses GREAT as long as its fair.

I for one think he is the least talented of the 3 and in open competition will not win the job and while he may give us the best chance to win early he does not give us the best chance over the course of the season.

Ganz is not up with lee and witt in most of the important categories

arm strength lee witt ganz

speed lee ganz/witt (ganz and witt are much closer than you think)

accuracy from what i hear from someone who attends 2-3 practices a week that it is witt lee ganz

the only thing ganz has in his favor is knowledge of Cally's version of the WCO. If we dont run that exact offense his 1 advantage is gone.

Experience is really non existent here because 3 games is not EXPERIENCED.

As a fan i dont want to annoint a starter cuz of a 3 game span in which the QB really did not play all that well. I want the best most deserving person out there and if its ganz lee or witt so be it

it feels like a lot of fans just cant see out of the box and realize that maybe ganz is the best or maybe just maybe we have someone better.

dont we want the better player to play

IMO if the competition is truly open Ganz doesnt win. but.......................................................................................................................................................... HELL IVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE

Several posts have mentioned Ganz's interceptions as reason he may not be "the guy" next season (I myself in fact have blamed him for the loss at CU in another thread). However, I truly believe that the running game will be signifcantly improved and the focus of the offense. Thus, the passing game will be opened up and Joe won't have to make so many tough throws with 8 guys in coverage. I think he will have a great year next year.

I hear ya but i dont agree. The picks and should have been picks he threw were not due to the defense being prepared for the pass only. if that was the case we wouldnt have put up the points we did. They were all a result (go look at the tapes) of errant passes, passes with too little arm strength, or passes that simply shouldnt have been thrown with the exception of 1 which Mo definitely should have caught. Add to the interceptions and should have been interceptions a large amount of plain bad passes and overthrown passes due to lack of arm strength (he has to get more air under the ball to get it 20 yds down field) and overall Ganz didnt really play very good.

His runs were a breath of fresh air but any of the 3 QB's in question could have and would have made those runs

I'm a huge Zac Lee fan after seeing his stats and what he had done at SanFran Community College. I think we may have another quarterback battle this year before the season starts. Joe cool is obviously the guy to go with right now, but he's got to be settled down a little bit without taking out his "gunslinger stinger." Keller just seemed to be downright timid at times last year (unless it was the two minute offense) - it was like someone beat the gunslinger out of him. We don't want that to happen to Ganz, but we can't have him go throwing around those floaters next year.

Travis,

Yes, Witt or Lee could be better. Does that mean they are ready? I mean, anyone can look like a great QB throwing a football in a jersey and shorts.

I agree, if someone is better, and they win it out, go with them. I completely agree with you on that. I'm only pointing out that Ganz is the only dawg who has been battled tested. He didnt exactly just show up. He got this offense out of a scoring rut. He threw

I cant do "what if" because at this point, no one has played better or has the experience with success and some adversity. Otherwise, what if we had a defense that actually stopped the other team? Wouldnt that alone change the game plan?

Anyway, I'm not retiring his jersey. But I am acknowledging that he exploited KSU for 7 TDS, he moved the ball against KU and scored early on them while the defense didnt keep them from scoring in more than 5 plays, and the running game was completely abandoned against CU.

***SNIP***

The rule of thumb is "never go into a rebuilding year with a senior QB as a starter." If you do, then your number of rebuilding years has doubled. It is foolish to invest in a senior QB in a rebuilding year.

***SNIP***

I'm not so sure that's valid these days. Fans expect instant gratification. For the sake of continued employment, it may be better for a coach to try and win immediately to buy some breathing room - and most fans will then give a team a break when that team is having to start a new quarterback the second year of the new coach's tenure.