Is Frazier in the top 2???

Dan_F_30

Gill's better than Frazier anyway. Look at these stats:

From 81-83, Nebraska went 33-5. Gill was 28-2 as a starter, so Nebraska was 5-3 in games Gill did not play.

From 92-95, Nebraska was 45-4. Frazier was 33-3 as a starter, so Nebraska was still 12-1 in games Frazier did not play.

Also keep in mind two more facts about Gill: he only started 3 years as Freshman weren't allowed to play varsity in that time. Also, his two career losses were both to teams that won the National Title that year (Penn State 1982 on that catch clearly out of bounds and Miami 1983 on a game none of us will every forget).

Based on these facts, I think Gill was better than Frazier. No one can use the excuse that Gill had better surrounding cast, as Nebraska was 5-3 in games without Gill, yet still a dominating 12-1 without Frazier. Who was the true difference maker?

Probably no other football player is revered like Red Grange... he's a legend. And he will be #1.

In his first game, Grange scored three touchdowns, including a 66-yard punt return, against Nebraska in 1923. In seven games as a sophomore he ran for 723 yards (5.6 average) and scored 12 touchdowns in leading unbeaten Illinois to the consensus national championship.

Not until the Michigan game on Oct. 18, 1924, did Grange reach legendary status. He returned the opening kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown. Then he scored on runs of 67, 56 and 44 yards. All this in the first 12 minutes. The four touchdowns were as many as Michigan had allowed in the two previous seasons.

1923. 1923. No way this old guy carries Tommie's gear. Sorry,Manuer-ian.

>>>T_O_B

If there was a thread on Top Option QB's then you wuld probably see him #1, although I loved Hagan, but I digress, Tommy is too one dimensional for the poll, whereas a guy like Vince could run and throw. I also think Tommy was surrounded by an all around great team whereas Vince was the TEAM.

disaggree. Frazier could throw, hell I remember one specifically amazing throw against your buffs. When we "beat" FSU for our first NC (yeah I know) i remember having to throw alot that game. Frazier just never had alot of passing yards because we didn't throw it that much, and he didn't have a lot of stats in general because of the blood clot that year.

I doubt Frazier has one of the top 2 spots, but I wouldn't worry too much about that, this whole list is an absolute crock.

Vince Young is way too high, Archie Griffen is way too low, and Reggie Bush and John Elway shouldn't be anywhere near this list (and this is coming from a diehard Broncos fan).

Personally, I'm pretty disappointed that Byron White won't be making the list from CU. On the mount rushmore of early football greats, you'd have to put Whizzer White right next to Red Grange.

Tommy has to be on this list. People forget he was a pretty good passer along with being the best option quarterback ever. For many years thats what dominated college football was the option. I think that if he isn't even above Vince Young it is a clear statement of shortside th views of ESPN are becuase the only way Young is up here because of how recent his feats occured.

I dont know if he will be #2 or #1 but i guarentee that Archie Griffin will be one of the two, and should be #1. he is the only player to ever win the Heisman twice.

i cannot believe that no one else on this board of football smart people even mentioned him?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that no one is picking him to grab one of the top two spots because he's already on there. But, who knows, if he won the Heisman twice, maybe he can hold two ranks on the list.

You think Tommie Frazier is in the top 2 of the greatest college football players of all time?? I personally don't know. If not who do you think are the top 2?

Link

Tommy was the #2 QB of all time on that, 'Who's #1', program on ESPN Classics, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's #1 or #2 on this thing they're doing now.

I was glad to see Earl Campbell make the list. I remember watching him as a kid, he was a freakin' monster...

Too bad Bum Philips ran him nearly to death, he would have been the best RB ever...

I think they're missing a couple of people on that list...

This is gonna sound silly, but what about Marcus Allen, or as much as I hate to admit it, Billy Sims...