Five Huskers set for all-star games

link-Per LJS blog

The list is unofficial at this point, but it appears at least five Husker seniors are set to play in various postseason all-star games.

Quarterback Sam Keller has been invited to play in the East-West Shrine Game Jan. 19 in Houston.

Keller is recovering from a broken left (non-throwing arm) collarbone suffered Oct. 27 at Texas. His rehab is going well, he said Monday, and he can begin throwing in two weeks.

"Any other training I can do as pain permits," he said. "You just have to wait for that bone to calcify."

Also preparing to play in the East-West Shrine Game are linebacker Steve Octavien and cornerback Zack Bowman.

Offensive lineman Carl Nicks has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl Jan. 26 in Mobile, Ala., and linebacker Corey McKeon is scheduled to play in the Hula Bowl Jan. 12 in Honolulu.

Nope, they don't do the Blue-Gray Game anymore. According to Wikipedia, it's because they couldn't find a sponsor.

Great news for Bowman and Octavien. I'd like to see Grixby get a little love, too, but I think with the way everyone perceived our defense this year, we're lucky to even be sending those two.

per LJS blog

No all-star game for Purify?

As of Wednesday, Nebraska senior wide receiver Maurice Purify hadn't been invited to any of the postseason all-star games that can improve a player's NFL Draft stock.

Wasn't Purify Nebraska's best skill-position player this season? (Or was it Marlon Lucky?)

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Purify, of Eureka, Calif., finished the season with 57 catches for 814 yards and nine touchdowns, totals that led all Husker wideouts.

"I probably expected more out of him," said NFL Draft.com analyst Gil Brandt, who strongly considered Purify for the preseason Playboy All-American team.

However, Brandt said he thinks Purify, Zack Bowman, Sam Keller, Carl Nicks and perhaps even Corey McKeon have good chances to be drafted this spring (I didn't ask Brandt to predict which rounds they'd be selected; he's usually hesitant to do so).

Obviously, a few other Huskers -- Bo Ruud, Tierre Green, Andre Jones and Cortney Grixby come to mind -- could be late-round selections.

I wonder about McKeon's chances, not to mention Steve Octavien's.

Consider: "Everybody's spreading the field on offense, and sometimes teams are playing with one linebacker and six defensive backs," Brandt said. "You're also seeing it on the college level.

"We're just going through a phase where everybody's spreading the field, and linebackers can't cover those receivers -- they can't cover guys like Missouri has."

I think we understand.

• 3 weeks later...