Can NE beat MU and/or KU next year?

TrumanBD

The thing that really bothers me about playing Mizzou these days is their friggin QB Daniel, that guy guarantees them at least 6 wins a season in my opinion. He's so elusive and seems to have eyes everywhere on the field, it's almost impossible to stop him. One minute you think you got him sacked, then he finds a way to slip out, sprints all the way across the field and throws a longball to a wide open receiver. I'm afraid he'll continue to give our defense fits, but not as much as this past year, however, it'll still be hard to overcome.

With the exception of this year both KU and MU hadn't done much. I don't expect much out of KU next year since they acutally play the big boys of the B12. MU will be good but they haven't won in Lincoln in a long time. Even though they don't lose a lot of players I think that Pinkel will not be able to keep it up. (I am a total homer). It will be "the" B12N game of the year.

With the exception of this year both KU and MU hadn't done much. I don't expect much out of KU next year since they acutally play the big boys of the B12. MU will be good but they haven't won in Lincoln in a long time. Even though they don't lose a lot of players I think that Pinkel will not be able to keep it up. (I am a total homer). It will be "the" B12N game of the year.

you, sir, are not just drinking the kool-aid: you're slamming it down in two-fisted shots!

and i'm RIGHT THERE WITH YA!

The reality is we were a good team, with less than adequate coaching last year on the defensive side. On the offensive side we were better than Pinkel. We could not move the ball on their defense.

I am being told that every senior is coming back to Missouri this year. They lose some talent, but overall will be better than they were this year. Pinkel has started something and I think we will suffer at home this year is my guess at this time. But Pelini is capable of motivating kids quite well. You never know.

But I think we will win the ones we should and look good doing it. When we face the more talented teams we will have problems. Our talent level is not that of Missouri, pretty close to Kansas is my guess. We lose to Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, VaTech and damit Colorado. We beat Kansas I think. If we get through next year with only four losses I wll be a very happy camper.

I think our offense wil be pretty much the same as it was last year. Very little change, Pelini will handle the defense and go with what worked last year on the O side. Some slight variation, but not wholesale change.

I think the staff will jell quickly, most have been together before. That was smart by Pelini. I know some wanted more exciting names, but tried and true works out better for a first year coach.

I see improvement in wins coming from Coach Pelini. I see a different attitude developed in the team. Still have worries about other things, but as far as a football coach with fire, determination and dedication, I doubt we could have done much better. I think those traits are what we need now.

End of story, we lose to Missouri, but it will be a good game. Not like last year at their house.

I'm surprised how many think we'll lose to CU. We led 35-24 at the half, and ended the game with 51 points - in Boulder. Even a half-decent defense would have won us the game, easily. This year CU comes to Lincoln, and it'll be the end of the season so both teams should be experienced. CU lost several key defensive players, including all-world LB Jordan Dizon. I think that favors NU quite a bit, we should have a much better D by then, and our offense should be at least as good. Injuries and luck certainly play a big role so either team could win, but I'd favor us against them in 08.

The one game we will win next year is CU!

Do not count on that. They are several years ahead of us in terms of the rebuild. They are well coached and are improving. Their talent level is at least equal to NU's. No, we might hang with them but Cu should win. 7

I think NU improves but still will not beat KU, MU or CU (or TTech, Vtech or Oklahoma) --- so I see a 6 - 6 season --- yet I am optimistic and am am holding out for an upset of someone we should not beat. So, cross your fingers, and maybe the Skers go 7-5. That is about as much as anyone can hope for. The B12 is loaded and NU starts quite a bit behind the competition. Once more, relative to the rest of the conference, Nu is far worse off after Callahan left than they were when he arrived. Even talent-wise NU is no better than # 7 or 8 in the conference.

As a guy who has seen alot of the tigers over the years...let me tell you that they are goin to be good next year ...but they are goin to find it tuff to replace Rucker, Franklin, Spieker and Luellen.....if Temple is denied a 5th year then they will be down some serious weapons......the Defense will miss Pig and Williams and this is a defense that was pushed around by teams at times last year....but it is still a very good unit......

I for one expect Nebraska to win 3 outta four with KU, MU, CU, and VT all coming to Lincoln.......The Huskers have as much or more talent then any of these four schools....the Huskers just need to get togehter on the field..............Ganz showed that the offense is clearly loaded and Lucky appears to be returning.....Pelini can coach...and I don't expect the kids to quit or play as soft as they did last year....bottom line....the Huskers have out recruited CU VT MU and KU over the last 3 years...and a decent push this year will put them in the mix this year....that means that there is talent....and talent wins

Many seem to make the annual assumption that NU is the only program that IMPROVES from year to year. I can assure you, the entire conference tries to improve each season, with mixed results to be sure. Using NU as an example, the past four years proves that improvement can be spotty at best. But the skers aren't going to be the only improving team for 2008.

I think MU is returning 16 starters from the #4 team in the country. Pinkel has them in high gear and they are recruiting pretty well.

I'm thinking KU is a pretty young team as well. Mangino has them believing. He took his time and his lumps to BUILD a program, not patch it together. It has taken them six years to get here, I don't see the #7 team in the country falling off a cliff.

Hawkins looks to be the right guy for CU, they're looking better and seemed to be ready to turn the corner. He already has a signature win.

Va Tech? Again, established on both sides of the ball. Well coached for the most part. I have never been a Beemer fan, but he has a good rep as a HC and therefore has my respect. I'd expect a prepared and well coached seasoned team to show up in Lincoln.

Bo has what it takes to really improve the D, not too hard since they finished 112th. But the reality of it is improving a 112th ranked D a whole lot may only get them to 70-80th, until he gets a couple of classes with his guys.

As a HC, in charge of both offense and defense, BO is a wild card.

The offense if left untouched should be productive with Ganz at the helm, but I doubt TO would tolerate the same pass happy offense that Cally/Watson fielded last season. He wants to run first. Trying to get a power running game where it hasn't existed in years, will take some changes and the dreaded learning curve. The O probably won't be starting over (who knows) but depending on the scheme(s) chosen, there may be some revamping necessary. Don't expect to see as many yards next year. But do expect more time of possession, a trademark of a TO team.

The rest of the B12 has it's offense and defense set and in place (for years in some cases) and kicking ass in some cases as well. I think that is a significant advantage over a first year HC and staff that's rebuilding a 5-7 team.

Bo and his new staff is starting years behind KU, MU and even CU. It could turn on a dime, hell, anything can happen, but I'm NOT counting on it. High expectations and subsequent disappointment are something that I avoid.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

As a guy who has seen alot of the tigers over the years...let me tell you that they are goin to be good next year ...but they are goin to find it tuff to replace Rucker, Franklin, Spieker and Luellen.....if Temple is denied a 5th year then they will be down some serious weapons......the Defense will miss Pig and Williams and this is a defense that was pushed around by teams at times last year....but it is still a very good unit......

I for one expect Nebraska to win 3 outta four with KU, MU, CU, and VT all coming to Lincoln.......The Huskers have as much or more talent then any of these four schools....the Huskers just need to get togehter on the field..............Ganz showed that the offense is clearly loaded and Lucky appears to be returning.....Pelini can coach...and I don't expect the kids to quit or play as soft as they did last year....bottom line....the Huskers have out recruited CU VT MU and KU over the last 3 years...and a decent push this year will put them in the mix this year....that means that there is talent....and talent wins

I thought MU was returning 16 starters.

I think the 16 number does not include the loss of Pig Brown, who was injured against Iowa State and did not play the second half of the season. That means the only defensive starter we are loosing is Williams.

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

Bo will have the team believing that they belong at a high level. last year it seemed to me that the defense started to fold once the team got behind and made it difficult to come back from any deficit.

i will guarentee that the 500-600 yard offensive outputs against NU's defense are gooing to be few and far between.

NU will not just compete with MU and KU this year, NU will beat 1 if not both in Lincoln. I have questions about MU this year because it comes a week after playing VT so who knows

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

Bo will have the team believing that they belong at a high level. last year it seemed to me that the defense started to fold once the team got behind and made it difficult to come back from any deficit.

i will guarentee that the 500-600 yard offensive outputs against NU's defense are gooing to be few and far between.

NU will not just compete with MU and KU this year, NU will beat 1 if not both in Lincoln. I have questions about MU this year because it comes a week after playing VT so who knows

The 07 game got a lot of hype that it was going to be a hard fought battle that would determine the north. Maybe next year's game will live up to that hype. With KU playing the big boys of the south next year it could come down to Mizzou and Nebraska. Mizzou gets a bye the week before the Nebraska game and you guys have VT. Hopefully that will give my Tigers an edge. Don't worry about Virginia Tech too much though, KU was able to beat them :sarcasm

The 07 game got a lot of hype that it was going to be a hard fought battle that would determine the north. Maybe next year's game will live up to that hype. With KU playing the big boys of the south next year it could come down to Mizzou and Nebraska. Mizzou gets a bye the week before the Nebraska game and you guys have VT. Hopefully that will give my Tigers an edge. Don't worry about Virginia Tech too much though, KU was able to beat them :sarcasm

Your Tigers will need no edge. they will come in as heavy favorites and justifiably so. Your talent level is higher, your team is faster, stronger, more experienced, and has had great momentum. There is no reason at all to think that a 5-7 team from this season who lost more from their squad will beat a top 5 team that won 11 games and returns more from their squad. No doubt, MU will be heavily favored and likely will win in a comfortable fashion. But NU will not roll over and will fight --- they just do not have enough yet to compete at that level. The real question is where will NU vs. MU vs. Colorado vs. KU be in three years --- right now, and likely for next season, NU is dead last in that pecking order --- the hope is the gap closes each year and soon NU ascends.

The real question is where will NU vs. MU vs. Colorado vs. KU be in three years --- right now, and likely for next season, NU is dead last in that pecking order --- the hope is the gap closes each year and soon NU ascends.

At least for MU, I think that question will be partially answered during the 09 season. We will lose a lot of our current talent after this next season, including Daniel. If we are able to stay competitive in 09 which will be a bit of a rebuilding year, than I am optimistic about future success.

The reality is we were a good team, with less than adequate coaching last year on the defensive side. On the offensive side we were better than Pinkel. We could not move the ball on their defense.

What? How so?

I wanted to ask the same question. My guess is, we were not better on the offensive side in that game. Basing this off of the last sentence being said in his quote.