Can NE beat MU and/or KU next year?

TrumanBD

My coment was about the coaching. I feel Coach Callahan was an excellent offensive coach. I did not feel our talent was superior, for what ever reason.

No slam at the Tigers by any means.

Missouri is a very talented team, and at this time I would say the best in the Big 12 next year. With all their seniors returning, there will be a mission. I think they will be much better next year. The Cotton Bowl will help their winter training.

:corndance Nebraska's offense was explosive last year and will the same this year. Coach Watson is still coaching the offense and Bo will keep him doing what he does. We have good receivers to replace the ones that are gone and Sam Keller was not that great of a loss. NU's Offense was one of the best in the NCAA. I can only think of one game we had real offensive problems. That now leaves the defense. Bo knows DEFENSES. We still have lots of talent on defense. We recruited nice last year and will do good of Feb 6 for the defense. The problems last year WILL be corrected. NU should win 10 games in 08. I truly believe that NU will be the big 12 north champs. GO HUSKERS!!

:corndance Nebraska's offense was explosive last year and will the same this year. Coach Watson is still coaching the offense and Bo will keep him doing what he does. We have good receivers to replace the ones that are gone and Sam Keller was not that great of a loss. NU's Offense was one of the best in the NCAA. I can only think of one game we had real offensive problems. That now leaves the defense. Bo knows DEFENSES. We still have lots of talent on defense. We recruited nice last year and will do good of Feb 6 for the defense. The problems last year WILL be corrected. NU should win 10 games in 08. I truly believe that NU will be the big 12 north champs. GO HUSKERS!!

I admire your optimism. Getting to 10 wins next year would be quite a turnaround. I think it all come down to whether you believe that talent is there and that NU's struggles were all do to coaching, or whether you believe there are some problems with recruiting, but more importantly player development that will take more time to correct.

My coment was about the coaching. I feel Coach Callahan was an excellent offensive coach. I did not feel our talent was superior, for what ever reason.

Missouri is a very talented team, and at this time I would say the best in the Big 12 next year. With all their seniors returning, there will be a mission. I think they will be much better next year. The Cotton Bowl will help their winter training.

Offensively, the talent was there...just look at how many points we scored. Defense was the problem, BC didn't have a clue when it came to defense, and he didn't have a clue that Coz didn't have a clue either. I also didn't see teaching....nothing ever changed. Even offensively, I didn't see the half-time adjustments that Huskers are used to...nothing ever got fixed at half-time, they came out and did the same crap that wasn't working, until they were so far behind it began to turn to desperation.

If I was hiring BC, he would never have gotten past the level of offensive coordinator...

I'm surprised how many think we'll lose to CU. We led 35-24 at the half, and ended the game with 51 points - in Boulder. Even a half-decent defense would have won us the game, easily. This year CU comes to Lincoln, and it'll be the end of the season so both teams should be experienced. CU lost several key defensive players, including all-world LB Jordan Dizon. I think that favors NU quite a bit, we should have a much better D by then, and our offense should be at least as good. Injuries and luck certainly play a big role so either team could win, but I'd favor us against them in 08.

I completely agree with you on CU. We won't lose to CU. Out defense should be much improved this year and shouldnt play on a HS level like they did this year. Pelini is going to motivate the sh#t out of them and they are going to WANT to play for HIM. I see an 8 win season with definate wins over KU and CU. VT and MU should both be great games. In all reality though, We really have to wait for the spring to come so we can see how everything has developed, its too early to really tell but I do think we had a talent level high enough to compete in all our games.

I expect the team to play with more heart and passion next year, but how that ends up in the Win/Loss column I don't know. It is far too early to tell.

As far as Calllllllahan being an excellent offensive coach, yes, his teams are offensive to watch. Made me throw up in my mouth at times.

:)

Just bend over.

Open your mouth.

And let it hit the floor.

Slam the rest of your beer.

Order another.

Much more desireable outcome.

>>>T_O_B

:wasted:wasted:wasted:wasted:wasted:wasted

As a guy who has seen alot of the tigers over the years...let me tell you that they are goin to be good next year ...but they are goin to find it tuff to replace Rucker, Franklin, Spieker and Luellen.....if Temple is denied a 5th year then they will be down some serious weapons......the Defense will miss Pig and Williams and this is a defense that was pushed around by teams at times last year....but it is still a very good unit......

I for one expect Nebraska to win 3 outta four with KU, MU, CU, and VT all coming to Lincoln.......The Huskers have as much or more talent then any of these four schools....the Huskers just need to get togehter on the field..............Ganz showed that the offense is clearly loaded and Lucky appears to be returning.....Pelini can coach...and I don't expect the kids to quit or play as soft as they did last year....bottom line....the Huskers have out recruited CU VT MU and KU over the last 3 years...and a decent push this year will put them in the mix this year....that means that there is talent....and talent wins

Many seem to make the annual assumption that NU is the only program that IMPROVES from year to year. I can assure you, the entire conference tries to improve each season, with mixed results to be sure. Using NU as an example, the past four years proves that improvement can be spotty at best. But the skers aren't going to be the only improving team for 2008.

I think MU is returning 16 starters from the #4 team in the country. Pinkel has them in high gear and they are recruiting pretty well.

I'm thinking KU is a pretty young team as well. Mangino has them believing. He took his time and his lumps to BUILD a program, not patch it together. It has taken them six years to get here, I don't see the #7 team in the country falling off a cliff.

Hawkins looks to be the right guy for CU, they're looking better and seemed to be ready to turn the corner. He already has a signature win.

Va Tech? Again, established on both sides of the ball. Well coached for the most part. I have never been a Beemer fan, but he has a good rep as a HC and therefore has my respect. I'd expect a prepared and well coached seasoned team to show up in Lincoln.

Bo has what it takes to really improve the D, not too hard since they finished 112th. But the reality of it is improving a 112th ranked D a whole lot may only get them to 70-80th, until he gets a couple of classes with his guys.

As a HC, in charge of both offense and defense, BO is a wild card.

The offense if left untouched should be productive with Ganz at the helm, but I doubt TO would tolerate the same pass happy offense that Cally/Watson fielded last season. He wants to run first. Trying to get a power running game where it hasn't existed in years, will take some changes and the dreaded learning curve. The O probably won't be starting over (who knows) but depending on the scheme(s) chosen, there may be some revamping necessary. Don't expect to see as many yards next year. But do expect more time of possession, a trademark of a TO team.

The rest of the B12 has it's offense and defense set and in place (for years in some cases) and kicking ass in some cases as well. I think that is a significant advantage over a first year HC and staff that's rebuilding a 5-7 team.

Bo and his new staff is starting years behind KU, MU and even CU. It could turn on a dime, hell, anything can happen, but I'm NOT counting on it. High expectations and subsequent disappointment are something that I avoid.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

I like your post...BUT....I totally disagree....Va. Tech was beat by every decent team it played, they have a good defense and an offense that is as bad as Nu's 2004 group........they will be hard pressed to score alot of points in Lincoln with Bo at the helm.....KU is losing more players than you think and they also had the advantage of a very soft schedule....if MU or OU had played Va. Tech it would have been a woodshed beating for Tech...so pardon me when I don't jump off a cliff when I think of the NU KU game next year.......The Huskers moved the ball at will agin the VAUNTED KU D......Callahan and Coz crapped that game away........as for the Tiger....they are good and they have as much talent as NU....but they are also goin to have to play alot of tuff road games this year....CU is a joke.....Ganz had a bad quarter and the Husker D was just too bad to help us limp home a win....Nebraska was clearly more talented than CU...same as every year....hell we have owned CU......unlike MU....CU stinks and they lost alot of their so called core players....NU will crush CU next year and Hawkins will be on the Hot seat...hell they went 2-10 and 6-7 his 1st 2 years....hardly numbers that will get you into the Buff's hall of fame........

Bottom line....had we hire Pelini last year we would have beaten Texas in Austin....we would have beaten Cu in Boulder.............as well as win the aTm game in Lincoln.....I would also like too believe that we would have had a shot too win the OSU and KU games....soo for all the weak knee fans who can't see how we are ever goin to win another game....think about how different things would have looked this year with Pelini...9 wins and a decent bowl game vs. the crap that BC and Coz gave us........

Can we beat MU or KU????????????.....what a dumb question

I like your post...BUT....I totally disagree....Va. Tech was beat by every decent team it played, they have a good defense and an offense that is as bad as Nu's 2004 group........they will be hard pressed to score alot of points in Lincoln with Bo at the helm.....KU is losing more players than you think and they also had the advantage of a very soft schedule....if MU or OU had played Va. Tech it would have been a woodshed beating for Tech...so pardon me when I don't jump off a cliff when I think of the NU KU game next year.......The Huskers moved the ball at will agin the VAUNTED KU D......Callahan and Coz crapped that game away........as for the Tiger....they are good and they have as much talent as NU....but they are also goin to have to play alot of tuff road games this year....CU is a joke.....Ganz had a bad quarter and the Husker D was just too bad to help us limp home a win....Nebraska was clearly more talented than CU...same as every year....hell we have owned CU......unlike MU....CU stinks and they lost alot of their so called core players....NU will crush CU next year and Hawkins will be on the Hot seat...hell they went 2-10 and 6-7 his 1st 2 years....hardly numbers that will get you into the Buff's hall of fame........

Bottom line....had we hire Pelini last year we would have beaten Texas in Austin....we would have beaten Cu in Boulder.............as well as win the aTm game in Lincoln.....I would also like too believe that we would have had a shot too win the OSU and KU games....soo for all the weak knee fans who can't see how we are ever goin to win another game....think about how different things would have looked this year with Pelini...9 wins and a decent bowl game vs. the crap that BC and Coz gave us........

Good argument-- all the way to the woulda shoulda coulda part. Then ya lost me somewhere along the yellow brick road to that never-never land where Bo can retroactively win games at a school he wasn't even coaching at.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Expecting a 5-7 team under a new coach and staff to compete with two top ten teams with established coaches returning lots of starters is one thing, predicting a win against them is another.

While anything is possible (every game is winnable), expecting, maybe even predicting it is ....

something else.

GO BO!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good argument-- all the way to the woulda shoulda coulda part. Then ya lost me somewhere along the yellow brick road to that never-never land where Bo can retroactively win games at a school he wasn't even coaching at.

Expecting a 5-7 team under a new coach and staff to compete with two top ten teams with established coaches returning lots of starters is one thing, predicting a win against them is another.

While anything is possible (every game is winnable), expecting, maybe even predicting it is ....

something else.

GO BO!!

Are you saying that a Bo Pelini team gives up 60+ to CU?

Are you saying that a Bo Pelini team lets Charles roll up 200+ yards in the 4th Quater?

I not taking a shot at you but I don't think pointing out the obvious is wishfull thinking.........Solich would have run the option offense agin So. Miss and won that game too.....I'm sure thats a wacky statement

Bottom line is that NU was way too talented to take a crap in there hat every game......that team was at worst an 8 win team with a rough schedule....and if you want me to really get wacky....I would have bet that had TO taken this team over in the spring of 07......they would have won 9 games.....it's coaching and talent.....

something else.

GO BO!!

Are you saying that a Bo Pelini team gives up 60+ to CU?

Are you saying that a Bo Pelini team lets Charles roll up 200+ yards in the 4th Quater?

I not taking a shot at you but I don't think pointing out the obvious is wishfull thinking.........Solich would have run the option offense agin So. Miss and won that game too.....I'm sure thats a wacky statement

Bottom line is that NU was way too talented to take a crap in there hat every game......that team was at worst an 8 win team with a rough schedule....and if you want me to really get wacky....I would have bet that had TO taken this team over in the spring of 07......they would have won 9 games.....it's coaching and talent.....

very true about solich, he wanted to move to a spread, he was trying to move that direction, but he also understood, i can't loose more then i win so therefore i'll run an unpopular offense taht will still get me my wins, hey doesn't that sound like "playing to the players" oh right, can't mention solich in good light. Had Bo been hired in 03 8 of the most embarrassing husker games would have never happened. no way we give up 70 to tech in 04, or most of the embarrassments this year, hell he might have even been able to pull off the USC game last year(up until 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter they were on their heals, and the nebraska coaches decided to not play the emotion card). hey we probley go into mizzo and either win or lose close, just because players would have had emotions. kansas probably a 7 point win or loss there.

nebraska has the talent to win immediatly and i'll go right now and say 9 win regular season plus bowl win = 10 wins

Callahan was offensive everytime I saw him coach but not in the excellent way.

It will all depend how Nebraska defense starts out the first 4 games of the year and their mindset. Last year even though they won all their games until USC, most people were down on them and wondering if they could stop anybody.

Now if they start the season and beat all four teams and hold them to less then 20 a game the defense will start buying into Pellini system and give them confidence just like Kansas last year. I would say Nebraska chances are 50/50 of beating Missouri. Missouri will probably be the first good offense they will see but defensively that would probably be Virginia Tech. Now if Nebraska defeats Missouri then Kansas will most likely be a win since the cofindence level will be higher, and lets face it even before the Kansas game last year the coaches already knew they were out the door and coached like it.

Who predicted that KU would be where they were at the end of 2007?

Motivations change, injuries happen, weather surprises...the athletic talent level between FBS teams is not really a huge as some like to think. Often depends on coaching, location and the desire of the athlete.

Anything can happen on any given Saturday. I know it's cliche', but that's why the game is played.

Sure, NU can beat KU, MU or both next year. They may also lose to both. Too early to speculate. I'm just looking forward to next year (like I do every year). There are not four seasons to the year like most think, there are really two...college football season and the dead time in between.

:cheers

Who predicted that KU would be where they were at the end of 2007?

Motivations change, injuries happen, weather surprises...the athletic talent level between FBS teams is not really a huge as some like to think. Often depends on coaching, location and the desire of the athlete.

Anything can happen on any given Saturday. I know it's cliche', but that's why the game is played.

Sure, NU can beat KU, MU or both next year. They may also lose to both. Too early to speculate. I'm just looking forward to next year (like I do every year). There are not four seasons to the year like most think, there are really two...college football season and the dead time in between.

:cheers

Never have truer words been spoken! Stupid dead time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!