Pelini signs contract

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 - 12:33:09 am CST

link

Saying that very little negotiating was necessary, new Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini has signed his contract.

Pelini, officially hired by Husker athletic director Tom Osborne on Dec. 2, had said for the past several days that he and Osborne had agreed in principle to terms of the deal. Pelini signed the contract Wednesday. University officials likely will formally announce Pelini's contract terms next week. But two sources close to the situation said Pelini signed a multi-year deal worth approximately $1.1 million annually.

"I thought it was all very straightforward," said the 40-year-old Pelini. "We were pretty much on the same page from the start. We agreed on the parameters, and there wasn't much discussion that needed to be done.

"I just really trust Coach Osborne and his word."

Pelini spent the past three seasons as defensive coordinator at Louisiana State. In that period, Pelini's defenses helped the Tigers compile a 34-6 record, including the national title and the Southeastern Conference crown this season.

After being hired by Nebraska and spending about two weeks in Lincoln, Pelini returned to Louisiana — with Osborne's blessing — to help the Tigers prepare for the BCS title contest. Pelini's busy schedule in recent weeks might have led to a slight delay in signing his contract at NU.

"To be honest, I was more concerned about my assistants' (contracts), and I'm happy with the way that all worked out, too," Pelini said.

Previous Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan, fired by Osborne on Nov. 24, had received a contract extension in September, with his annual compensation increasing from about $1.53 million to $1.75 million.

Callahan's extension pushed the deal through January of 2012. Upon his firing, Nebraska owed him $3 million in total compensation to be paid in a lump sum.

Pelini said his main concern now is wrapping up a strong 2008 recruiting class. He feels the Huskers have picked up momentum.

"I wasn't really worried about the contract," Pelini said. "I figure I'll do a good job here, and it will all take care of itself."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big 12 salaries

Annual compensation packages of the league's football coaches:

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma $3.62 million

Mack Brown, Texas 2.75 million

Gary Pinkel, Mizzou 1.85 million

Mike Sherman, Texas A&M 1.8 million

Art Briles, Baylor 1.8 million

Mike Leach, Texas Tech 1.66 million

Mark Mangino, Kansas 1.53 million

Bo Pelini, Nebraska 1.1 million

Gene Chizik, Iowa St. 1.03 million

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma St. 950,000

Dan Hawkins, Colorado 940,000

Ron Prince, Kansas St. 760,000

I would imaging Prince's price will be re-negotiated, unless there was a incentive clause in there for him...even then I would imagine it will be going up or given some kind of extension. The thing that will hurt Prince is having his assistants flying the coop like they did...so a lot will be determined by who else he brings in to be his assistants this year.

I imagine that Tom and Bo both "know" that if there is a turn around with the football program, and we return to national status, that his contract will be upped. I have a hard time believing that Baylor's coach is going to be paid more than ours for very long.

It is nice to know we have a coach that is willing to prove he can do the job and then be paid, rather than demand the money up-front...then leave us hoping he can live up to it and we don't have to buy him out. I definitely think we have the right people in place now, and think that if we have problems with any aspect of this football team they will be dealt with in a timely manner, unlike it was with BC refusing to fire Cos when he couldn't do the job as DC.

GBR!

Ok, we need to take up a collection... for the 'Beat Oklahoma Coach's Bonus Fund'......

Where do I send my check?

1. Bo will just have to 'make due' with a 1.1M entry level salary :sarcasm

2. Another mark of 'he's just like us'... expects to 'earn' it :woo

3. :yeah Yup, I'll send my check too... only need one season to see the turn-around in attitude and effort

I was at Lazlo's in the Haymarket last night when I got sat right next to Bo and some of the coaches! Sanders, Beck, Ekeler, Papuchis, and I think Watson were all there. And I think they were there with some recruits too because there were large football looking players which I didn't recognize, and they were wearing name tags. It gave me goosebumps...and got me all excited for next season to start already!

Bo Big Red!

Who is Art Briles at Baylor?

Art Briles was the coach for the Houston Cougars last year. He is a HUGE name in Texas football. He built a power house HS team down here in Stephenville Texas. The same HS that our recent QB recruit Kody Spano attended. He is about to tap into the rich lands of Texas recruiting. Give Art Briles a few years and he will turn Baylor into a winner. Mark it down!

Who is Art Briles at Baylor?

Art Briles was the coach for the Houston Cougars last year. He is a HUGE name in Texas football. He built a power house HS team down here in Stephenville Texas. The same HS that our recent QB recruit Kody Spano attended. He is about to tap into the rich lands of Texas recruiting. Give Art Briles a few years and he will turn Baylor into a winner. Mark it down!

:clap Baylor...Winner in the same sentence...that has to be a first.... :clap

:sarcasm

I was at Lazlo's in the Haymarket last night when I got sat right next to Bo and some of the coaches! Sanders, Beck, Ekeler, Papuchis, and I think Watson were all there. And I think they were there with some recruits too because there were large football looking players which I didn't recognize, and they were wearing name tags. It gave me goosebumps...and got me all excited for next season to start already!

Bo Big Red!

Any PICS