So...What Offense WILL We Run???

I think Ganz is a mediocre player that can perform in the system adequately, but Zac Lee is for real. He threw for almost 3,500 yards with a 31/5 td-int ratio in a very good Juco league. The kid has a great frame and runs the 40 in 4.6, and since he's been getting healthier, I wouldn't be surprised if he's sharpened it up to a 4.5. He's only been developing.

I remember reading more than once in articles that Shawn W. and the BC era coaches said that P. Witt was the most talented/impressive of the group

Who knows...I highly doubt Witt starts, but anything is possible.

The O rolled once Ganz finally got his shot. We lost some playmaking at wr(hopefully Paul or whomever can step-up as a complement for Swift)but we have everbody at rb back and most of the o-line in when the O was rolling are back. I look for the O and Ganz to have a big year, he doesn't have a big arm but he knows the system and gives us a running-threat that keeps drives going.

I'm interested to see if Lee or Witt can establish himself as the heir-apparent. But I don't see either seriously challenging Ganz though.

Geez, never thought I'd be talking-up Ganz but you can't argue with the results seen

I think Ganz is a mediocre player that can perform in the system adequately, but Zac Lee is for real. He threw for almost 3,500 yards with a 31/5 td-int ratio in a very good Juco league. The kid has a great frame and runs the 40 in 4.6, and since he's been getting healthier, I wouldn't be surprised if he's sharpened it up to a 4.5. He's only been developing.

So that means Zac Lee is going to be an absolute stud in D-I football? Everyone seems to have a hard-on for someone who hasn't even taken a snap in D-I football. Maybe I'm wrong, and the spring game will be a good indication, but for now I'll have my doubts.

Any yes, Ganz through a lot of picks, a few that cost us the Colorado game, but didn't Keller kill the USC game with a few picks. We were in it 'til that point. And that agme had a much bigger impact on the season IMO.

So that means Zac Lee is going to be an absolute stud in D-I football? Everyone seems to have a hard-on for someone who hasn't even taken a snap in D-I football. Maybe I'm wrong, and the spring game will be a good indication, but for now I'll have my doubts.

Any yes, Ganz through a lot of picks, a few that cost us the Colorado game, but didn't Keller kill the USC game with a few picks. We were in it 'til that point. And that agme had a much bigger impact on the season IMO.

No, it doesn't mean he'll be an absolute stud in D1, but it is a good sign that he'll make some noise if he got the chance. I don't see why everyone has a hard-on for a perennial backup QB who came in for three games and performed decent in a desperate pass happy offense where we had basically abandoned the run. Why the hell do you think Ganz put up PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox360 (too may systems nowadays, lol) numbers? Because all we did was pass, pass, pass. Callahan was desperate. Ganz's decision-making abilities is suspect and he's not the most gifted athlete.

You guys can sit here and say I'm wankin' it to Zac Lee all you want, but take a look at yourselves, you guys think Ganz is our savior based of 3....3 games!

It doesn't matter anyway, because the slate is wiped clean and it's going to be a great quarterback battle that I'm looking forward to hearing about.

wow... so yes zach lee MUST be the stud.. because ya know.. he's so proven at the D1 level.. hell, keller was proven at the D1 level and STILL didn't perform as well as ganz did.. the job WILL BE GANZ TO LOSE.. and he WILL NOT LOSE IT.. unless injury happens.. just the way its going to be.. accept it..

and Ganz put up "video game" numbers because we had to pass? partially true, but don't use this point, and then turn around and say he threw 7 interceptions! because thats just contradicting points!!!!

plus, he may not be the most gifted athlete, but neither was taylor.. and i think he's the best WCO one we've had in here...... its the heart man.. not always just the talent.. like the quote says.. hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard..

It'll be interesting to see who gets the QB job. I just hope that it is not biased in favor of Ganz for what he did at the end of the season in those three games. I liked how the offense played in those games and Joe definitely has potential and I love his mobility. I thought his passing needed work though. If you go back and look at those games, he was off target quite a few times and he could have had several more interceptions that were inexplicably (and luck for us) dropped by the opponents. That is the troubling aspect of Joe. I don't want a return to Dailey type days where every pass left me wondering if it was going to be intercepted. I don't think we can win if Ganz has that many interceptions this coming year. That is my biggest takeaway from his performance. If he minimizes those, the guy is adequate. He probably isn't the "All Conference" candidate like other teams have though.

I'm anxious to see how Ganz, Witt, and Lee do and let the best man win the job.

My favorite answers so far have been BOffense and Punting Is For Sissies.

:thumbs

Anyone else read TMQ? There are some pretty compelling arguments for punting less.

Considering how great Lucky is catching out of the backfield, I would LOVE to see a lot of two-back formations, especially with Castille who is almost a FB/HB hybrid. There is so much you could do with those two on the field at the same time. Add Ganz in and think about it, you can basically run option, max protect, designed rb throws (screen, circle, wheel, etc.), make Lucky the default hot route, power runs, sweeps, traps, misdirections.... there is nothing you couldn't do out of a Lucky/Castille two-back formation except spread the defense, and even that you could do a little bit by putting Lucky in motion.

Everyone seems to want to go to some form of the spread, but I must defend the WCO for a second and say when we finished last year we were the 11th overall offense, we put up 30+ points against 7 teams on our scedule, and 50+ against 3 teams. (one of the 30+ games was USC keep in mind.) One thing I will say is we have depth in athletic QBs, we have a recruiting class of a fair amount of receivers, with this last class we added even more talented depth at RB. I would say it looks to me that we are going to transition in to the spread, which I will be interested to see what the next few seasons will look like with this tranisition, I feel it will be fun to watch

watson has some answers for ya...

Watson: Offensive meetings full of "creative discussions"

If you are looking for a label to pin on Nebraska's offense for next season, you might be out of luck according to Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

"We're not going to be a spread offense, that's not the deal," Watson said. "But that's the beautiful thing about the Nebraska offense. We're not going to be West Coast, we're not going to be spread. Those terms are overused by everybody. We're going to be the Nebraska offense. We're going to be multiple, balanced, and use the field, make the defense defend the field and defend us formationally."

Husker offensive coaches have been meeting every morning since the end of recruiting season. There's been blackboard work and film work. In the meetings, coaches talk through every play and discuss what each player does during every play. "A lot of creative discussions," Watson said.

So far the coaches, have just worked on plays concerning the running game. Next week, Watson expects to move onto the passing game.

"I've shared my vision for where I'd like to see us grow to based on the people we have ...Everybody has been great around the table in terms of helping to tweak and develop that vision for where I'd like to see us go based on our people."

It's an interesting combination of coaches in the meeting room, all coming to the table with different offensive backgrounds. Tim Beck, for instance, brings the perspective of someone familiar with the spread offense. "Tim has brought in some things concept-wise that will certainly have a huge impact on that," Watson said.

Despite the differing coaching backgrounds, Watson said: "There hasn't been any obstacles because of the caliber of people I'm working with."

Watson has said several times this offseason that he wants to see more of a running attack from his offense this year. Last year, the team struggled statistically running the ball, though much of that can be attributed to huge deficits in games.

"It's not fair to talk about last year. You got to throw that out, just situationally. So that's not fair to even talk about that," Watson said. "But I think to be a championship team you have to be able to run the football. You look at championship games, the team that rushes the ball, that can eat up chain, eat up clock, but be able to be multi-dimensional, being able to run and it pass it, is going to be the team that wins. But it all starts with being able to run the football."

in the meantime, joey waits... and plans...

cunning.jpg

This isn't a question so much for this year, but...

Bo stated he wanted to run a spread option prior to being hired. As a defensive-minded coach, he has to believe that one way to "protect" a defense is with a strong running game. But all statements subsequent to Bo's hire is that we'll merely "tweak" the current offense.

What's it going to be? Are we going to go with a tweaked version of the West Coast offense? Are we going spread option? Either way, I would assume that the base of the offense will be a power running game.

Is next year going to be a kind of transition from a West Coast offense to the spread option? Are the quarterbacks that are being recruited better suited to one style or the other?

Just curious, more than anything, and thought I'd throw this out there to get the opinions of everyone...

The kind that runs over people, I hope. :lol:

GBR!!!

This isn't a question so much for this year, but...

Bo stated he wanted to run a spread option prior to being hired. As a defensive-minded coach, he has to believe that one way to "protect" a defense is with a strong running game. But all statements subsequent to Bo's hire is that we'll merely "tweak" the current offense.

What's it going to be? Are we going to go with a tweaked version of the West Coast offense? Are we going spread option? Either way, I would assume that the base of the offense will be a power running game.

Is next year going to be a kind of transition from a West Coast offense to the spread option? Are the quarterbacks that are being recruited better suited to one style or the other?

Just curious, more than anything, and thought I'd throw this out there to get the opinions of everyone...

The kind that runs over people, I hope. :lol:

GBR!!!

If you are looking for a label to pin on Nebraska's offense for next season, you might be out of luck according to Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

"We're not going to be a spread offense, that's not the deal," Watson said. "But that's the beautiful thing about the Nebraska offense. We're not going to be West Coast, we're not going to be spread. Those terms are overused by everybody. We're going to be the Nebraska offense. We're going to be multiple, balanced, and use the field, make the defense defend the field and defend us formationally."

Watson has said several times this offseason that he wants to see more of a running attack from his offense this year. Last year, the team struggled statistically running the ball, though much of that can be attributed to huge deficits in games.

"It's not fair to talk about last year. You got to throw that out, just situationally. So that's not fair to even talk about that," Watson said. "But I think to be a championship team you have to be able to run the football. You look at championship games, the team that rushes the ball, that can eat up chain, eat up clock, but be able to be multi-dimensional, being able to run and it pass it, is going to be the team that wins. But it all starts with being able to run the football."

Watson believes he’s got the personnel there this fall to be a strong running team, but also a team that brings great physical presence be it a run or pass play.

“And that has nothing to do with plays, it has everything to do with heart,” he said.

“And we feel like our No. 1 mission is to coach that type of effort and create that type of desire to be that type of offense, to be able to take the will of another team just because you’re so relentless in what you do.”

:yeah

Watson: Offensive meetings full of "creative discussions"

Everyone seems to want to go to some form of the spread, but I must defend the WCO for a second and say when we finished last year we were the 11th overall offense, we put up 30+ points against 7 teams on our scedule, and 50+ against 3 teams. (one of the 30+ games was USC keep in mind.) One thing I will say is we have depth in athletic QBs, we have a recruiting class of a fair amount of receivers, with this last class we added even more talented depth at RB. I would say it looks to me that we are going to transition in to the spread, which I will be interested to see what the next few seasons will look like with this tranisition, I feel it will be fun to watch

The Trojans broke open the game by scoring three straight touchdowns in the second half, the first two set up by interceptions.

"Once we got going, geez, we just took control," Carroll said.

USC led 49-17 in the fourth quarter, but Sam Keller led two touchdown drives against the Trojans' prevent defense to close the gap.

Can people get it out of their head that this offense wasn't so great and exspecially during the USC game? First of all Nebraska was behind 42-10 and scored 21 point off of USC second team playing prevent defense. Lets not bringup the fact that 2 int set up USC for two TD (Kind of like Colorado see a pattern?) that allowed such a huge lead.

Stats are good but they don't tell half the story and some times tell none of it.

The number 11 offense didnt help during Oklahoma St and Texas A & M which were two home games. <_<