THE most overhype players to sign w/NU

I wouldn't normally include him in this conversation, but David Horne was a pretty big bust. I went to high school for 2 years with him (at Prep before he switched to Central) and he was a 4 star RB that never did much. He just COULD NOT STOP SMOKING WEED. I think he got the boot after his 4th citation for the stuff. Too bad- he really was a good RB.

UNI thought so too...he helped them to the Championship in DII in 2006. He quit smoking the weed once Farley kicked his ass...maybe a decent coach at Nebraska would have helped Horne.

Oh well...your loss...UNI's gain :)

Yeah I heard about that. UNI is a solid team, but I can only imagine what he could have done for NU. Perhaps, as you suggested, if he would have got a swift kick in the pants accompanied by an order to stop smoking weed, he could have been great.

When Horne was at Prep he split time for a while with Steve Hicks before he transferred. Horne always was a little better, though Hicks had more power. I also wonder what Hicks could have done for Iowa St. if he wasn't always dealing with injuries.

That's really unfair to say, the guy developed a blood clot in his leg. You wouldn't call Tommie Frazier a bust for the NFL because a blood clot never allowed him to play, would you?

Can we all please stop mentioning guys who were seriously injured as busts? To call Schuler "one of the biggest flops on the o-line" is uncalled for and completely unfair.

http://www.argusleader.com/specialsections...yarticle4.shtml

The problem with all these "busts" is we compare every single QB to Tommie Frazier. There is NO WAY these kids can live up to that. He is a once in a lifetime legend at Nebraska. Maybe everyone should set the bar a little lower at QB in the future. My 2 cents.

:koolaid2: I totally agree, we have had so many legends here but they have all been few and far between. We are so desprite now a days with the hype and the media availble that we want every kid to be able to live up to the expectations we all so despratly crave. With that said and the style offense played today I honestly will be compairing every future QB to Zac Taylor. Why Zac, well he was an exceptional leader, provided a breath of fresh air during a time of transition that could have been a very diffrent story.

As far as future backs being compaired, we have had too many backs to even mention. Ill be happy and content for all our backs to do the job and what is needed to be done to win the games. I don't care about being legandary. I care about winning games. I just want someone to score touchdowns. Heck with hundred yard games. I would be perfectly happy with a back that ran less than 100 yards but had 2-3 TD's a game. Winning is the most important thing here. Not the hype not the conceptions of people but the team as a whole coming together and winning. Thats why the patch says Nebraska, A Winning Tradition!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few names that I came up with, and some undropped soapbox thoughts that I had. First of all, let me start with a name that I can't believe no one has brought up. Also, I prefer only to mention names that I've not yet seen.

1. Benard F#^#^$ Thomas: What the heck is wrong with everyone that we forgot that one? A great soundbyte, made waves when he was quoted in the paper as saying that he wanted to lead the team in sacks as a freshman.

2. DeMoine Adams: Was only good with a better DE on the other side of him. Otherwise terrible.

3. Mike Grant: In my opinion, The Huskers worst quarterback in the Osborne years. Even Tommie Frazier was average as a freshman, and were it not for Grant, we would never have seen an average Frazier. Grants bad play forced in a very green Frazier. Without Grant, do we win five titles in a row?

4. Brandon Greeson and Brandon Teamer: Greeson was stolen out of the southeast and supposedly he was to be a stone cold run stopper. Teamer was a 4* out of Central who played only one year. I believe that Greeson was homesick and injured, and Teamer was slightly injured, but more than anything, just wanted to leave football at the time. I have no idea what either one is doing nowadays.

5. Phillip Bland: And to think that we stole this one from CU. Well, I was at the __-36 game in Boulder and I think sCUm owes that kid a ring for how many tackles he missed.

6. Ryan Schuler: Supposedly Barney stole this kid from Oklahoma. I don't even know if this kid's health issues allowed him to play a down of college football.

7. Josh Davis: No offense to tough Tony, but I knew it would be a long year when Frankie named this kid the starter.

8. Judd Davies: A great kid, but for all the hype surrounding his recruitment at the time, not a great player. Average at best. I will say again though, a really good person.

9. Dan Vili Waldrop: Whoever thought that 6'8 350 pounds of human being could be knocked around by 6'2 220 lbs of Texas LB's and/or DE's

10. Justin Tomerlin: Recruited to FSU as a 4* Tight end, he was supposed to be a threat on either side of the ball coming out of JUCO. Kicked off the team after a fight on a flight back to Lincoln.

Honorable Mentions

* Craig Roark: One of the first big timers in the '05 class. Played little because of injury and then quit

** Robert Pollard: This kid was can't miss out of high school. didn't qualify. Now in prison.

*** Sandro DeAngelis: This kid was supposed to be the next Kris and/or Josh Brown, yet he missed more 30-40 yard kicks than anyone that I can thin of. Now, he's a national scoring champion and folk hero in Canada.

**** Patrick Kabongo: Was supposed to be our Warren Sapp style run stopper. Played sparingly as a senior, but celebrated like Martin Grammatica on every tackle and defensive stop.

SO ANYWAYS . . . . it is partially our fault for hypeing these kids. Things to remember in the coming years. A.)Loyalty is the virtue of the few. B.) Perseverence is no longer an iherited trait. C.) Some choose to be unmotivated. Apply any of these three points to those above. I'll bet at least one if not all three fit with every player on my list

Absolutely agree with your assessment of dan vili waldrop. living out in here in california i remember when he signed out of banning high school. the sad thing is, i think he started from his spohmore year on.

Wasn't Evans one of the 1st guys to develop the "sport's hernia" (not medical name)....deep abdominal injury, which caused him to miss a ton of time (almost the season)........then, after he returned, he was injured again, saw that he was never gonna be at the DI level again, so went to a smaller school.....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I may be correct (doesn't happen much :) )

So, again, IMO you can not put Evans into this category.

Would anyone consider Bobby Newcombe as a "minor" bust? He was very highly touted at QB, and then couldn't win the starting job and played a fairly prominant role at WR. I like Bobby, and he was important to our Big 12 Title, but he never panned out as the next Tommie.

I believe he was one of the first. Another that never recovered from the same injury was Lanny Hopkins. He had so much promise. At that time I was wondering what the heck the strength staff was doing to those guys.

IMO injured players should be exempt from the overhyped category. The player had no control over bad luck (outside of carrying a TV :bang ). Half exempt would being screwed up by Cally's miscoaching - a good athlete would "have been excellent in every area" and overcome that obsticle, if permited to be on the field.

Players that should be on this list should be the lazy and the stupid decision makers.

What about the morons at the recruiting services that can't judge talent?

Marlon Lucky

:yeah

Tha'ts friggin laughable.

The only way some people would say Lucky wasn't a bust is if he would have won two Heisman's by now. The guy doesn't belong in the same topic where people are talking about Mickey Joseph and DeAngelo Evans. Gimme a break. :moreinteresting

Marlon Lucky

justify that statement please?

there are SO many more players that ARE flops than lucky.. he was the "#2" running back coming in. Look at the players he had in front of him while he was here. Cory Ross, great college back. Brandon Jackson, now in the NFL, much more balanced than Lucky ever claimed to be

Ross is in the NFL, too. Lucky came in with two NFL backs ahead of him and this was the first year he really got a chance to show his stuff . . . and look at the state of the offensive line he had to work with! They were the slowest, most under-conditioned line we've had in my lifetime. And I think given that, Lucky did pretty darn good this year. He's a threat as a receiver any time he goes out into the flat. Now, his running could have been better, but he's hardly a bust.

With the right coaching this year, which IMO we have lacked, I think Lucky will have the year everyone has been expecting for 3.

and had the coaching staff not changed, he would still be a lackluster recruit. Wasnt he the #1 recruit in the country at the time? How many records did he break? If he was so good, then why didnt he pass Ross and Jackson on the depth chart? More times than less does the #1 high school recruit turn into a bust. I am not dissing his abilities, I answered the question of who was the most overhyped player to be recruited... and I stand by my decision in saying Lucky. Last point, if he is so good then why does he share playing time with Wilson, Castille and Glenn... and dont tell me depth because they get rotated sooner than the 4th quarter... more like the 2nd.

Marlon Lucky

Tha'ts friggin laughable.

The only way some people would say Lucky wasn't a bust is if he would have won two Heisman's by now. The guy doesn't belong in the same topic where people are talking about Mickey Joseph and DeAngelo Evans. Gimme a break. :moreinteresting

Where is your choice? You didnt make one! Easy for you to pick apart someone else's choice when you dont make one of your own :wtf

Marlon Lucky? Are you serious? Where were you last year? What are your standards? Does the guy have to win a Heisman? He didn't blow up in his first two years quite like we expected, but he was awesome last year.

I would say Harrison Beck was the biggest bust during the last 10 years. Harrison Beck was a 5 star QB, won a few quarterback camps etc., and then came to Nebraska and went 1 for 10 with 1 interception. His best play was taking a late hit against K-State. He is now a shaky backup at NC State. If that's not a bust, I don't know what is.

I don't really count guys who get injured as busts. That's not really fair.

I wouldn't normally include him in this conversation, but David Horne was a pretty big bust. I went to high school for 2 years with him (at Prep before he switched to Central) and he was a 4 star RB that never did much. He just COULD NOT STOP SMOKING WEED. I think he got the boot after his 4th citation for the stuff. Too bad- he really was a good RB.

I dont remember Beck getting a start... and I would agree he turned out to be a crappy recruit. I chose Lucky because of the HYPE surrounding his decision to come here. Lucky got the start but ended up sharing duties with 3 other backs... if he is so good, then why didnt he rise to the top? I am sure Lucky will have me eating my words in the fall, and I pray he does... but until then, he is not living up to the expectation of a #1 recruit.