THE most overhype players to sign w/NU

I have never questioned his talent. I question his loyalty to Nebraska or any other team for that matter. It was always about Eric, never the team. Without him the team would have grown as a team. We only grew with Eric. He made life very tough for Frank. I truly think Nebraska would have been overall better off with out him. No we would not have won the hypsman, but we may have coached up better players down the road and we would not have been left with Lord and Daily as the only two QB's on the roster. Just my opinion. I have never been much of a Crouch fan.

I won't agree or disagree...but trust me...Bobby had an even bigger ego...

I think some of the blame here has to fall back on TO. You can't put too many roosters in a hen house without some big problems. I remember listening to sports nightly when we were recruiting these two. I remember thinking at the time that if they both were as good as advertised then some problems in the future would arise.

The problem with jumping all over Crouch is the fact that if a couple of games would have been altered just a bit he would be viewed as the best QB ever here at NU with two NC rings. I'm not saying Solich should have run after Crouch and talked him into coming back. Hell, I don't even know what to think about TO letting Phillips back onto the field. However, you do have to look at Crouch's entire career at Nebraska. It was impressive.

Marlon Lucky

Posts like this make me chuckle. Lucky contributed nearly 1800 total yards last year, set a record for passes caught by a running back and had nearly 5 yards per carry. I think the problem is expectations. Those that expected Lucky to be Adrian Peterson set themselves up for disappointment. Lucky has improved every season he has been here and I bet he will be even better this year. Lucky is a pretty special player and probably the best player on the whole team. If some think he is a bust, what does that say about everyone else?

I have never questioned his talent. I question his loyalty to Nebraska or any other team for that matter. It was always about Eric, never the team. Without him the team would have grown as a team. We only grew with Eric. He made life very tough for Frank. I truly think Nebraska would have been overall better off with out him. No we would not have won the hypsman, but we may have coached up better players down the road and we would not have been left with Lord and Daily as the only two QB's on the roster. Just my opinion. I have never been much of a Crouch fan.

I won't agree or disagree...but trust me...Bobby had an even bigger ego...

I think some of the blame here has to fall back on TO. You can't put too many roosters in a hen house without some big problems. I remember listening to sports nightly when we were recruiting these two. I remember thinking at the time that if they both were as good as advertised then some problems in the future would arise.

The problem with jumping all over Crouch is the fact that if a couple of games would have been altered just a bit he would be viewed as the best QB ever here at NU with two NC rings. I'm not saying Solich should have run after Crouch and talked him into coming back. Hell, I don't even know what to think about TO letting Phillips back onto the field. However, you do have to look at Crouch's entire career at Nebraska. It was impressive.

What does that mean? By nature a QB is going to have an ego because he has to believe in himself and lead the team.

Thank you ContentRich.......for the athletic pubalgia......it has been bothering me since I made the original post.... but am I correct on Evans being the 1st (or one of the 1st) to develop this injury/condition. I remember, after Evans, many others seemed to have problems, which began to raise questions surrounding our strength/conditioning methods....

A lot of signs point to improper technique on the Jammer machines. Once they ditched those machines, the problem went away. It's a shame how many athletes we lost to it.

Back on topic, it seems really unfair to classify Lucky as overrated. Overhyped? Perhaps. But hype is usually independent of the players themselves and is conferred by outside sources (typically by people like us). Being overrated is a direct function of performance (or lack thereof) on the field. Lucky wasn't our featured back until last year, and once he assumed that role, he produced. An earlier poster pointed out his production of more than 1,800 yards from scrimmage and 65+ receptions. He's a weapon, for sure. It's not his fault the coaches insisted on shuffling him in and out of the game every 3 plays.

Not really when he signed but............Mo Purify.

His potential was far bigger than his actual play.

oh BS.. just like with the whole lucky thing... no way you can consider either of them busts... explain what Mo DIDNT do when he was given the opportunity to play? just because you have a dumbass coach that doesn't put you in the game when you are by far the best receiver on the team doesn't make you a bust.. when he was in the game, he was THE bright spot for this team... thats ridiculous....

I dont think Crouch was overyhyped. I thought he was tough with the ball. I also thought he was a wimp by high-tailing back home b/c he didnt get the start.

I thought Newcombe dodged and weaved way to much with the ball. He looked like he was afraid of taking a two yard gain and getting hit. By doing so he would lose three yards.

Overhyped from fandom that I saw and even bought into it myself:

Curt Dukes - "QB benches 350, squats 450, strong arm & runs a 4.5/40". The next stud QB. Transfered.

Joe Dailey - Dual threat. DUAL THREAT. Passing/running, smart, has it all. Come to find out he had none of those qualities. I think he was slower than any QB I've seen. And he had a knack for throwing INTs. Transfered.

Harrison Beck - Callahan was quoted as "having to pull over on the side of the road when he called to say he was committing to NU". Everyone bought into his hype. He even talked about Favre and playing guitar on his cheap website. Then after one season he got the Crouch itch. Cried, then transfered.

Josh Freeman - 6'6 240lb Elite 8 QB stud that fans went crazy for with anticipation, laughing about Beck and mocking him, and then dawg'd his ass when Freeman jumped ship to KSU.

These guys were constantly being thought of and written about as "the next great at NU" before they even took the field. Looking back they were obviously way overhyped.

I dont think Crouch was overyhyped. I thought he was tough with the ball. I also thought he was a wimp by high-tailing back home b/c he didnt get the start.

I thought Newcombe dodged and weaved way to much with the ball. He looked like he was afraid of taking a two yard gain and getting hit. By doing so he would lose three yards.

Overhyped from fandom that I saw and even bought into it myself:

Curt Dukes - "QB benches 350, squats 450, strong arm & runs a 4.5/40". The next stud QB. Transfered.

Joe Dailey - Dual threat. DUAL THREAT. Passing/running, smart, has it all. Come to find out he had none of those qualities. I think he was slower than any QB I've seen. And he had a knack for throwing INTs. Transfered.

Harrison Beck - Callahan was quoted as "having to pull over on the side of the road when he called to say he was committing to NU". Everyone bought into his hype. He even talked about Favre and playing guitar on his cheap website. Then after one season he got the Crouch itch. Cried, then transfered.

Josh Freeman - 6'6 240lb Elite 8 QB stud that fans went crazy for with anticipation, laughing about Beck and mocking him, and then dawg'd his ass when Freeman jumped ship to KSU.

These guys were constantly being thought of and written about as "the next great at NU" before they even took the field. Looking back they were obviously way overhyped.

:yeah

I too agree that it's unfair to label Marlon as overhyped. THe guy did a great job last year and will be even better this upcoming year. You can't label a current player overhyped when they still have another year under their belt.

What will you naysayers do when Lucky rushes for over 2,000 yards and gets close to another 1,000 in receiving and wins the Heisman? I'm not saying he will, but he could, and then you all would look like jack@sses. So, leave Lucky alone, at least until next year.

Leon Jackson is another one that comes to mind...

I blame that on the coaches.

I don't.

Dude didn't want to hit anyone at safety and pretty much half-a**ed it there the whole time to get moved back to RB. Once he did get moved back, he didn't separate himself any from the guys who we already had around.

He was a case of a guy buying way too much into his own hype.

He could've been a dang good player, but he was never willing to put the work in at all.

Marlon Lucky

Posts like this make me chuckle. Lucky contributed nearly 1800 total yards last year, set a record for passes caught by a running back and had nearly 5 yards per carry. I think the problem is expectations. Those that expected Lucky to be Adrian Peterson set themselves up for disappointment. Lucky has improved every season he has been here and I bet he will be even better this year. Lucky is a pretty special player and probably the best player on the whole team. If some think he is a bust, what does that say about everyone else?

:yeah