THE most overhype players to sign w/NU

Jonny Rodger's son. Did we pass up Barry Sanders because of him?

Just something a guy I work with told me , true or not , I don't know.

I don't know if that is true but his name was Terry, and I believe they unretired #20 because of it...think he was pretty undersized and tore up a knee before the medical technology could repair them the way they do today...

De Angelo Evans quit on the team. But wanted to come back. The team said no. He left. There were a lot of problems with coaching at the time. The inmates ran the asylum the first year or two. Crouch basically destroyed Newcombe with his trip home to mommy. I won't play if I don't get my way. As always. I still say Crouch being here did more damage to this program than any good he did. I know Hypsman, but it cost the chance to bring a good quarterback on, No chance for the ones here to get any time playing as we were padding his numbers for the Hypsman. We would have faired much better with Newcomb in my mind. Crouch ran this team, not the coahes and we have been paying for it for a long time.

Daily was not brought in to run the option. He was a passing Quarterback in high school. I think Frank was changing the offense to more of a spread, but Daily did not have the ability to do either. He was a huge bust in my mind. Not for lack of effort or love of the Huskers. He just did not have the talent to be a Division 1 QB. It proved to be true at North Carolina. Talent just was not there. Hype no talent equals bust.

De Angelo Evans quit on the team. But wanted to come back. The team said no. He left. There were a lot of problems with coaching at the time. The inmates ran the asylum the first year or two. Crouch basically destroyed Newcombe with his trip home to mommy. I won't play if I don't get my way. As always. I still say Crouch being here did more damage to this program than any good he did. I know Hypsman, but it cost the chance to bring a good quarterback on, No chance for the ones here to get any time playing as we were padding his numbers for the Hypsman. We would have faired much better with Newcomb in my mind. Crouch ran this team, not the coahes and we have been paying for it for a long time.

Daily was not brought in to run the option. He was a passing Quarterback in high school. I think Frank was changing the offense to more of a spread, but Daily did not have the ability to do either. He was a huge bust in my mind. Not for lack of effort or love of the Huskers. He just did not have the talent to be a Division 1 QB. It proved to be true at North Carolina. Talent just was not there. Hype no talent equals bust.

Bobby's MCL sprain against La. Tech in 1998 severly hurt his psychy...he would later be spotted falling asleep on the sidelines during his days as a wingback...as for Crouch going back to see coach Petito, several members of the team felt that Crouch had actually won the battle in the fall of 1998...Solich felt pressure from the fanbase after the spring game...question solich's leadership all you want, but in 1999, minus the Corell Buckhalter fumble at Austin, we were the best team in all of the land, and alot of that had to do with Crouch...

I have never questioned his talent. I question his loyalty to Nebraska or any other team for that matter. It was always about Eric, never the team. Without him the team would have grown as a team. We only grew with Eric. He made life very tough for Frank. I truly think Nebraska would have been overall better off with out him. No we would not have won the hypsman, but we may have coached up better players down the road and we would not have been left with Lord and Daily as the only two QB's on the roster. Just my opinion. I have never been much of a Crouch fan.

Wasn't Evans one of the 1st guys to develop the "sport's hernia" (not medical name)....deep abdominal injury, which caused him to miss a ton of time (almost the season)........then, after he returned, he was injured again, saw that he was never gonna be at the DI level again, so went to a smaller school.....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I may be correct (doesn't happen much :) )

So, again, IMO you can not put Evans into this category.

Would anyone consider Bobby Newcombe as a "minor" bust? He was very highly touted at QB, and then couldn't win the starting job and played a fairly prominant role at WR. I like Bobby, and he was important to our Big 12 Title, but he never panned out as the next Tommie.

I believe he was one of the first. Another that never recovered from the same injury was Lanny Hopkins. He had so much promise. At that time I was wondering what the heck the strength staff was doing to those guys.

It's called "athletic pubalgia", and we had a TON of guys suffer from it in the late 90s and early 00s.

For those of you who are talking crap about Crouch.......could you really see Newcombe winning the Heisman Trophy.....ummmm NO. You can down grade Crouch all you want but the guy did put up some sick numbers as a QB. So please give the guy a break. Crouch is probably one of our best QB's of all time and he's a really nice person in person.

I have never questioned his talent. I question his loyalty to Nebraska or any other team for that matter. It was always about Eric, never the team. Without him the team would have grown as a team. We only grew with Eric. He made life very tough for Frank. I truly think Nebraska would have been overall better off with out him. No we would not have won the hypsman, but we may have coached up better players down the road and we would not have been left with Lord and Daily as the only two QB's on the roster. Just my opinion. I have never been much of a Crouch fan.

I won't agree or disagree...but trust me...Bobby had an even bigger ego...

Thank you ContentRich.......for the athletic pubalgia......it has been bothering me since I made the original post.... but am I correct on Evans being the 1st (or one of the 1st) to develop this injury/condition. I remember, after Evans, many others seemed to have problems, which began to raise questions surrounding our strength/conditioning methods....

Thank you ContentRich.......for the athletic pubalgia......it has been bothering me since I made the original post.... but am I correct on Evans being the 1st (or one of the 1st) to develop this injury/condition. I remember, after Evans, many others seemed to have problems, which began to raise questions surrounding our strength/conditioning methods....

erwin sweeney, mike fullman...i can't remember em all, but there were lots...

For those of you who are talking crap about Crouch.......could you really see Newcombe winning the Heisman Trophy.....ummmm NO. You can down grade Crouch all you want but the guy did put up some sick numbers as a QB. So please give the guy a break. Crouch is probably one of our best QB's of all time and he's a really nice person in person.

I totally agree!

Murtha.....he just has not lived up to the hype after he dropped his commitment from the Gophers.

Thunder Collins was a pretty big disappointment as well.

Murtha was our best lineman after he found a home at RT. He had a fantastic year before he got hurt.

But some guys that come to mind ..

Mark LeFlore

Harrison Beck

Andre Jones

Zack Bowman

That is just in recent memory.

Bowman I should go easy on because of injuries, but the fact is his play didn't justify the rankings.

I dont recall...did Jones receive hype? The first time I ever remember hearing about him was his guarantee against USC.

'Dre was really a 2* talent with a 5* mouth. But he came in as a JUCO All-American and was a 5* talent as well ..

http://www.nebraska.rivals.com/viewprospec...mp;pr_key=42471

Also, this Crouch dissing really just makes me laugh. Anyone who questions that guy has little credibility in my book. The God's honest truth of it, without him, the last decade of Husker football would be absolutely pathetic. Newcombe, Lord or no one else could take the team on his back and carry us like he did for 4 years.

Look at '02 when he carried us to a NC game with Diedrick and Judd freakin' Davies as his backfield mates. His years with Dan Alexander were not much better, as Alexander was one of the most physically gifted RBs we have had in a while, but the fumbling he constantly had was outrageous.

Some people just really need to go back and look at our offensive roster from the years Crouch was here and realize how bad the talent level was.

I really need to stop thinking where we would be without Crouch over the past decade, because it is truly frightening.