early playing time...

I think any of the incoming freshman or jc transfers that play defense have a really good shot at playing. Especially if the returning starters come in with the attitude that they have already won their jobs. I hope that there is some energy pumped back into our defense. That would be a huge change from last year.

I would have to say Will Compton and yesterday on 1620 Unsportsmanlike Conduct they had Marv Sanders on and he was talking about Whitmore alot....and he couldn't wait to see what this guy could do.

My list of early playing time for 08 recruits IMO:

Baker Steinkuhler

P.J. Smith

David Whitmore

Mason Wald

Will Compton

And maybe

Sean Fisher

:) Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and feeling a little "pissy"........but, the fact that it seemed like over 80% of this board felt that we had/have the TALENT, it was just the COACHING last season, there must be pretty good talent returning on the Defense. When this topic was discussed at nauseum after the season, many, many of the members said that NU has talent, the coaches just sucked......

with that theory, the players we have are pretty good, and it will be difficult for any "true-freshman", especially if they don't get here until June/July to replace a returning D-guy. The exception may be Baker, who is a freak.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory, that last season wasn't ONLY COACHING, and the players were partially to blame, then I think that a few spots may be up for grabs...

I guess it depends on how everyone wants to "defend" their stance of last years demise.

Sorry for the "grumpy" good morning post, but I honeslty think that I have a point. (yes, at the top of my head :) )

:) Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and feeling a little "pissy"........but, the fact that it seemed like over 80% of this board felt that we had/have the TALENT, it was just the COACHING last season, there must be pretty good talent returning on the Defense. When this topic was discussed at nauseum after the season, many, many of the members said that NU has talent, the coaches just sucked......

with that theory, the players we have are pretty good, and it will be difficult for any "true-freshman", especially if they don't get here until June/July to replace a returning D-guy. The exception may be Baker, who is a freak.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory, that last season wasn't ONLY COACHING, and the players were partially to blame, then I think that a few spots may be up for grabs...

I guess it depends on how everyone wants to "defend" their stance of last years demise.

Sorry for the "grumpy" good morning post, but I honeslty think that I have a point. (yes, at the top of my head :) )

+1

I wouldn't expect many freshmen to start or play much.

I would agree that if you start several freshmen on defense, it would point to players being last year's problem, not coaching.

If no freshman can break into the starting lineup, that means the players were solid, but coaching was not.

Same on either side of the ball.

But opinions vary widely.

I think you're right HANC...but I think we lack depth on that side of the ball. I think we could see some of the freshman in the 2-3 deep. Really hard to tell who though...

I'm just wondering how many players are going to expect things to be like they were under Callahan and bring in that same attitude. Because talent or not, if Pelini doesn't think they have the right attitude you know he's gonna sit them.