early playing time...

Compton easily. We lost 4 LBs to graduation, I think him and Fisher will get a lot of playtime, possibility of starting as the season goes on. I think Baker will redshirt as we already have lots of O-linemen, and rushing a guy out isnt a good plan on the line.

I think the WRs will redshirt, we have WRs, so unless one of these guys is going to be a return man, I dont see them making the field much.

LB's and DB's will see the most freshman playing IMO.

I agree with you 110%. If you look at my list of possible true freshman playing right away are linebackers and DB besides Baker. Alot of people are forgetting that we lost 4 LB's and 2-3 DB's. It's open game for anybody and Bo is going to push everybody to earn their starting spot.

Compton easily. We lost 4 LBs to graduation, I think him and Fisher will get a lot of playtime, possibility of starting as the season goes on. I think Baker will redshirt as we already have lots of O-linemen, and rushing a guy out isnt a good plan on the line.

I think the WRs will redshirt, we have WRs, so unless one of these guys is going to be a return man, I dont see them making the field much.

Hm, I think we lost a lot of WR's. Nunn, Purify, Hardy, Erickson - that's a lot of experience and a lot of catches between the lot of them.

We have Swift and Peterson returning with significant experience. We have reasonable expectations that Paul and Holt will step up, after that it's a guessing game. Henry and Brooks have been here for a while, and maybe now will be their time to break out. We have a couple of guys coming off redshirt years, but to me they have no particular advantage over the freshmen coming if they prove themselves.

I think WR and DB are the most vulnerable and open positions. Peterson and Swift are starters in my opinion and great guys on the team - two of my favorite Huskers - but they're not gamebreakers. The void at receiver is wide open. My guess is that 1 or 2 WRs from this class don't redshirt - Bell? Cooper? Hard to say.

Likewise, at DB we return Murillo, and...Blue. That's just about it, by my count; others had less experience and at the very least there is room in there for at least one freshman corner to get significant time - Whitmore perhaps. Also, our safeties seem lacking in depth, particularly if they don't retain Asante or don't get back Culbert. If that happens, I'd be very interested in seeing who starts at the second safety spot and who backs those guys up.

I think at LB we are open, but we might not be. Dillard is a returning starter, and I figure that Culbert will stay on as WILL and grab that starting slot. That's two of the three open positions, and Blake Lawrence/Austin Stafford figure to make a good case for the last one...in my opinion. At least, at least as strong if not stronger case than the freshmen coming in can make. I think that Compton is expected to take MIKE and backup Dillard. Whaley and Fisher could push for playing time but I would be surprised if either starts over Blake Lawrence.

Anyhow, that's my uninformed take. I personally hope Baker stays on OT, redshirts, and dominates at LT for four years to come.

:) Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and feeling a little "pissy"........but, the fact that it seemed like over 80% of this board felt that we had/have the TALENT, it was just the COACHING last season, there must be pretty good talent returning on the Defense. When this topic was discussed at nauseum after the season, many, many of the members said that NU has talent, the coaches just sucked......

with that theory, the players we have are pretty good, and it will be difficult for any "true-freshman", especially if they don't get here until June/July to replace a returning D-guy. The exception may be Baker, who is a freak.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory, that last season wasn't ONLY COACHING, and the players were partially to blame, then I think that a few spots may be up for grabs...

I guess it depends on how everyone wants to "defend" their stance of last years demise.

Sorry for the "grumpy" good morning post, but I honeslty think that I have a point. (yes, at the top of my head :) )

Going by the way the last couple of classes were rated, I would say there is some very good talent still left on this team, but what better chance to get playing time as a freshmen than with a new staff trying to get a new system in place. I would think that who ever works the hardest and learns the schemes is going to play. Lot easier than coming into a program with established players and a coaching staff that has worked with them for 2 or 3 years. This is the best chance for the new kids to see a lot of playing time, than the group coming in next year will have. IMO

GBR!!!

I have no earthly way of knowing. I'll just throw out my own thoughts and guess.

Early playing time to me means does not mean becoming a starter, but getting in some plays, packages, rotations, contributing somehow, special teams, etc.

Stienkuhler

Josh Williams

Stephen and Courtney Osborne (if not redshirted to put on weight).

PJ Smith

Compton

Wald

:) Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and feeling a little "pissy"........but, the fact that it seemed like over 80% of this board felt that we had/have the TALENT, it was just the COACHING last season, there must be pretty good talent returning on the Defense. When this topic was discussed at nauseum after the season, many, many of the members said that NU has talent, the coaches just sucked......

with that theory, the players we have are pretty good, and it will be difficult for any "true-freshman", especially if they don't get here until June/July to replace a returning D-guy. The exception may be Baker, who is a freak.

Now, if you prescribe to the theory, that last season wasn't ONLY COACHING, and the players were partially to blame, then I think that a few spots may be up for grabs...

I guess it depends on how everyone wants to "defend" their stance of last years demise.

Sorry for the "grumpy" good morning post, but I honeslty think that I have a point. (yes, at the top of my head :) )

+1

I wouldn't expect many freshmen to start or play much.

I would agree that if you start several freshmen on defense, it would point to players being last year's problem, not coaching.

If no freshman can break into the starting lineup, that means the players were solid, but coaching was not.

Same on either side of the ball.

But opinions vary widely.

I agree with what both of you have said, but the fact is we are thin at LB and in the secondary, so I would venture a guess and say that some defensive guys will see the field. We're lacking depth, let alone playmakers at CB, so a tandem of Blue and Whitmore could be very possible (at least Whitmore as a nickle back). Also if Baker plays DL I'd expect to see him get some PT as were lacking playmakers on the defensive front as well.

As far as Compton goes, I expect Dillard to start at Mike, but behind him is wide open, so Compton could also see some early PT.

Compton and Baker will see the field quite a bit, without a doubt. Baker will very likely be a DT, because of our depth at the position. Unless some of those boys step up, they will likely lose their job to a freshman next year.

Dennard and Whitmore will likely battle for the nickle corner job.

Cooper and Osborne will likely battle for a spot in the WR rotation. Cooper probably needs to pack on a few pounds, but I would not be surprised to see him on the field at all.

Wald will probably see some time on ST just because of his reckless abandon. He'll be our new Rigoni.

Fisher needs time in our S&C program, as does Whaley, but I would not be surprised to see either get some reps next year.

Josh Williams will likely play in a role similar to what Barry Turner did as a freshman. Dude is a terror off the edge and with our lack of pass rushers, we will need this guy next year.