Almost Forgotten

NU recruit Wald almost overlooked during signing

By Shane Donovan, Daily Nebraskan

February 12, 2008

(UWIRE) LINCOLN, Neb. -- Mason Wald won't be coming to Nebraska with the hype of a Marlon Lucky or the buzz of a Baker Steinkuhler.

The senior from Birmingham, Ala., was a virtual unknown in the recruiting process until the Cornhuskers came on late. Aside from NU, Wald said his only other offers came from Kansas State, Memphis, Duke and Samford.

But the safety prospect knows star rankings mean nothing when fall practice rolls around.

ADVERTISEMENT

"As far as it concerns me, I don't really care," Wald said. "I feel like I can play just as good if not better than all of them."

Wald ranks as a two-star prospect according to the recruiting Web sites Rivals.com and Scout.com.

And while the Husker commit faxed in his papers just like every other NU signee, the process was anything but typical for him.

Mike Wald, Mason's father, said his son had to wait until after signing day to send his letter of intent NU because there was uncertainty as to whether there would be a spot available for him in the class.

That seemed to be the case with a couple of schools that came after Wald late.

The Vestavia Hills senior said multiple schools, including Alabama and Auburn, showed interest just before signing day, but unlike NU, they didn't have room.

"A bunch of schools wanted me late," Wald said. "To tell you the truth, they said they screwed up and overlooked me."

One possible reason for the lack of attention early on in Wald's recruitment could have to do with a lack of exposure.

Mike Wald said his son's highlight film wasn't sent out to colleges until after Christmas.

Whether or not that played into his recruitment will remain an unknown, but Wald's father, Mike, said he couldn't be happier with how everything worked out.

"We love all the (Nebraska) coaches," Mike said. "You know when your sons going to play for guys like that it makes it a lot easier."

And although college coaches may have failed to notice Wald's ability, the writers of Alabama didn't.

The Alabama Sports Writers association named Wald to the class 6A all-state first team and the Birmingham News honored him as a member of its Super All-Metro team.

Wald, who played on the same team as Nebraska commit Justin Rogers, had seven interceptions and over 100 tackles during a senior season that included a win over nationally recognized Hoover High in the state quarterfinals.

And during his time at Vestavia Hills, Wald earned a reputation as a hard hitting safety, something Mike said his sons teammates just got used to over time.

"(His teammates) expected him to make hits," Mike said. "I wish you could see his highlight video. He definitely enjoys hitting and has a knack for it."

And Wald is looking forward to bringing that reputation to NU, a school he believes wants him for the right reasons.

"Some of these schools were going to take me cause Nebraska offered me," Wald said, "not cause they really wanted me."

Rivals.com from Y! Sports delivers expert analysis and exclusive member forums for hardcore college sports fans. Start your free trial today!

"Some of these schools were going to take me cause Nebraska offered me," Wald said, "not cause they really wanted me."

*cough cough* K-State *cough cough*

Maybe Nebraska should start giving attention to a whole bunch of 1 stars and see how many K-State, Colorado and Missouri jump on. :)

Now if that Kid in Nevada said Nebraska instead of Cal was looking at him he probably would have had a real offer from K-State.

this kid is the real deal, he will be a force here.

He'll definitely cause a few fumbles. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes some nice plays on special teams this fall, even as a freshman.

don't expect him as a special teams player first year, i think he's a canidate to be redshirted and wait till his rs sophmore year to get some playing time(i think we see less freshman on special teams now that cally & crew are gone)

He'll definitely cause a few fumbles. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes some nice plays on special teams this fall, even as a freshman.

don't expect him as a special teams player first year, i think he's a canidate to be redshirted and wait till his rs sophmore year to get some playing time(i think we see less freshman on special teams now that cally & crew are gone)

disagree, i think the kid sees some spot playing time right away, specials or not.

disagree, i think the kid sees some spot playing time right away, specials or not.

I think he will see some playing time early as well. :thumbs

*cough cough* K-State *cough cough*

Maybe Nebraska should start giving attention to a whole bunch of 1 stars and see how many K-State, Colorado and Missouri jump on. :)

Now if that Kid in Nevada said Nebraska instead of Cal was looking at him he probably would have had a real offer from K-State.

He would be a true freshman so it might have been difficult for Princess to want to actually sign him.

I am very excited for this kid. I hope he makes some big hits and brings back the Blackshirt mentality.

• 3 weeks later...

:yeah

This year is the best year for freshman to get a chance at early playing time.

GBR!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know some people on this board doubt his ability, but personally, I think he can be a real force for us. The safety/OLB combo position (Rover, Joker, etc.) can wreak all types of havoc for opposing offenses, and I think he fits this role well.

I don't doubt him at all! I am very excited to see how he does when he earns some playing time!