Zack Bowman

np_husker

From journalstar.com blog:

Bowman speedy at NFL combine

Former Husker cornerback Zack Bowman probably made himself a decent chunk of change today. His 40 time was clocked at 4.34, according to the NFL Network.

Bowman is an interesting guy to follow in the upcoming NFL Draft. Some scouts had him as a first-round talent before his second serious knee injury. Everyone was interested to see how he held up at the combine, particularly how fast he could go. This will certainly help, though Bowman still could be a late-round guy due to his injury past.

Bowman recently wrote a draft diary for NFLplayers.com.

Here's some of it:

I always told myself that I wouldn't go to Nebraska, but I had a change of heart on the airplane when I landed. It was a fun time there. I met my fiancée there and football-wise had a really good first year there. I didn't play my second year at Nebraska due to a knee injury. My third year, I played, but we didn't have quite as successful of a season as we all wanted to. It is what it is though and I learned from it. I had some ups and downs while I was at Nebraska, but I got through it.

After the 2006 season I considered entering the NFL Draft, but in the end I decided to come back for another year at Nebraska. It was just a gut feeling at the time. I really felt like I needed to get my degree, or if not get it, at least come close to getting it. I also came back to work on some things that I needed to get corrected and fixed.

Having to sit out with those knee injuries was difficult, but I was able to take some positives away from it all by just sitting down and watching the game and watching my teammates. It actually made me value football a lot more. It wasn't just a game to me. It was something that I loved doing and that I had a passion for. There are guys who go out here and actually think it's just for fun, but once you're taken away from it, then you really respect it. When you get injured like that it's tough.....

With the NFL Combine just a few days away, I'm actually getting nervous. I've had dreams about it, which could be a bad thing, but overall I'm pretty excited about going there and showing teams, scouts and coaches what I can do. One of the main things I want to do is go out there and run and show everybody that I still have my speed. I'm sure I'll end up doing well so stay tuned.

4.34, thats quick for a cb actually thats pretty quick for any position. and people said we were slow on D, just another reason to believe that it had more to do with scheme.

We were not slow on D the right people were not playing. When Zac stood

up like a man and turned in his blackshirt the coaching staff turned on him.

:bonez:bonez

Where 4.34 come from? He's not on nfl.com's list of top 40 times performers:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

And cnnsi.com says:

Zach Bowman, Nebraska: Bowman measured 6-feet, 197 pounds and clocked his 40s in the mid 4.5-second area. He later showed that speed in the practice session while displaying terrific cornerback fundamentals. Bowman played sparingly at Nebraska last season after having his injured knee surgically repaired and results from the MRIs performed on the joint will ultimately decide where he ends up in the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...ex.html?eref=T1

Glad he did well, but I'm afraid his injuries will put him in the second day.

Where 4.34 come from? He's not on nfl.com's list of top 40 times performers:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

And cnnsi.com says:

Zach Bowman, Nebraska: Bowman measured 6-feet, 197 pounds and clocked his 40s in the mid 4.5-second area. He later showed that speed in the practice session while displaying terrific cornerback fundamentals. Bowman played sparingly at Nebraska last season after having his injured knee surgically repaired and results from the MRIs performed on the joint will ultimately decide where he ends up in the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...ex.html?eref=T1

Glad he did well, but I'm afraid his injuries will put him in the second day.

There's been multiple times of official/unofficial. The one I see most common is 4.38. I don't know where the heck SI got the mid 4.5 report from. I will guarantee thats not right. I've seen reports anything from 4.34 to 4.45.

4.34, thats quick for a cb actually thats pretty quick for any position. and people said we were slow on D, just another reason to believe that it had more to do with scheme.

We were not slow on D the right people were not playing. When Zac stood

up like a man and turned in his blackshirt the coaching staff turned on him.

:bonez:bonez

:yeah

One of the victims of the last regime has overcome...good job!!

He was a shining example of why Bill Callahan was a terrible coach. A great player who had a great work ethic who was pushed by the wayside because BC didn't like the way he wanted the defense to act. BC let his ego run wild, and Bowman was benched in favor of Bleu at the end of the season. Under a competent coach, Bowman would have been a lock as a first day pick. At least he got his degree now.

When Bowman, as a captain and senior, turned in his blackshirt and no one followed it was a sign that there were serious problems with cohesion.

I think extremely highly of Bowman and I wish him all the luck in the world. If his knees don't give out, he's got first round talent.

He was a shining example of why Bill Callahan was a terrible coach. A great player who had a great work ethic who was pushed by the wayside because BC didn't like the way he wanted the defense to act. BC let his ego run wild, and Bowman was benched in favor of Bleu at the end of the season. Under a competent coach, Bowman would have been a lock as a first day pick. At least he got his degree now.

When Bowman, as a captain and senior, turned in his blackshirt and no one followed it was a sign that there were serious problems with cohesion.

I think extremely highly of Bowman and I wish him all the luck in the world. If his knees don't give out, he's got first round talent.

Sorry, but Bowman's injuries are holding him back right now, not his work ethic, his play or his leadership. I hated BC and really hated the way he treated players especially Bowman, but BC beching him will have zero effect on his draft status.

Sorry, but Bowman's injuries are holding him back right now, not his work ethic, his play or his leadership. I hated BC and really hated the way he treated players especially Bowman, but BC beching him will have zero effect on his draft status.

I'd have to disagree. I think that as it is he is on the verge of being a first day pick, and if he had got a bit more buzz or made some great plays in the last 2-3 games of the season he could have gone earlier. Maybe not a lot earlier, but I think it would have SOME effect on his draft status.