Biggest Blown Calls In Husker Games

didnt swing momentum or change the outcome of the game but does anybody remember in 05 against T Tech, cory ross got fifteen yards for signaling first down after a 12-15 yard run? It was a judgement call but in the twelve or thirteen years ive been watching football ive never seen that one called.

Missouri-Nebraska 1997

Frost throws to Wiggins, Wiggins gets hit by Julian Jones. Wiggins kicks ball into air, davidson dives and catches it. No call on kicking the ball.

Go to

, it gives you a different angle and better picture quality. The play is at 1:21 into the video.

Like you said, Wiggins was hit right? Well in the video it shows him falling over after the hit. It cant be a kick if Wiggins was hit and as you should see, after his body hits the ground is when he hits the football, and hes not even looking at the football. His legs bounce of the ground (which im sure yours would do in that situation) and hit the ball. Hows the first way you get up after you get hit over in pads? Well if you want toget straight up you lift your legs in some way Im sure. Bottom line, it wasnt an illegal kick.

Wiggins admitted in an interview afterwards that he did indeed intend to keep the ball alive by kicking it, but like previous posts, refs can't read minds and unless it was a clear penalty, let the players determine the outcome of the game.

Worst call - K-State "doesn't the face-mask come out of the back of the helmet?" call. Kind of obvious.

Wiggins did, indeed, admit to kicking the ball intentionally.

The most obviously blown call that resulted in a big play in a big game?

1988, at UCLA. The Bruins ring up 28 points in Q1. Early in Q2, Mark Blazek picks off a pass and falls to his knee. It's not that his knee scraped the ground, he came down solidly. Then he gets up, looks around, and realizes he never heard a whistle, and starts running to the end zone. Players on both sides are coming on and off the field. Blazek goes 75 yards untouched and unchased. Never a whistle. The ref shrugs and signals touchdown. UCLA scored the next 10 and NU was never in the game, so it's pretty well forgotten.

1982 Penn State out of bounds catch was kind of bang-bang. It really wasn't close but you can see how an official could blink and miss it. But it was a huge blown call because of the timing. I consider it the most damaging because we we had a truly awesome team and never got a shot at the title.

94 FSU OB, bad calls, but both judgement calls. I don't recall the clip that well but the non-fumble was in a pileup and not too easy to see.

The Wiggins kick could've been called but that's really a judgement call on intent. He didn't kick at the ball, it landed on his foot. I believe he probably lifted his foot up to keep it alive, but could a ref really make that judgement? It definitely could've been from the hit.

I had always thought the Ruud hit on the kickoff in OU 1978 was a horrible call but I heard a couple years ago that the returner was called out of bounds when he caught the ball, before the hit.

There's no contest on this one. Penn ST, game cost T.O. his 1st N/C. Oh about the ref's blinking problem, he did have one just ask Alabama. Last year that ref worked a college game again. [he retired wink, wink.]

GBR!!!

Two things

1. Thanks for clearing up the facemask thing. That picture still makes me cringe thinking about how painful it would be to have a helmet on backwards.

2. The Mizzou catch, it has been discussed several times on here and whether or not he admitted to kicking the ball it was a judgment call that didn't go Mizzous way. End of story, no amount of pissing and moaning will change that. Or any one of these plays. Lets have a civil discussion about this not complaining about calls that didn't go the "right" way years ago.

The most obviously blown call that resulted in a big play in a big game?

1988, at UCLA. The Bruins ring up 28 points in Q1. Early in Q2, Mark Blazek picks off a pass and falls to his knee. It's not that his knee scraped the ground, he came down solidly. Then he gets up, looks around, and realizes he never heard a whistle, and starts running to the end zone. Players on both sides are coming on and off the field. Blazek goes 75 yards untouched and unchased. Never a whistle. The ref shrugs and signals touchdown. UCLA scored the next 10 and NU was never in the game, so it's pretty well forgotten.

The Wiggins kick could've been called but that's really a judgement call on intent. He didn't kick at the ball, it landed on his foot. I believe he probably lifted his foot up to keep it alive, but could a ref really make that judgement? It definitely could've been from the hit.

I had always thought the Ruud hit on the kickoff in OU 1978 was a horrible call but I heard a couple years ago that the returner was called out of bounds when he caught the ball, before the hit.

1988 UCLA...after the Blazek int, he actually rolls and his rump hits the ground. And as noted, no whistle...teammates told him to "keep running" and he jogged to the end zone.

The Wiggins kick, yes bad call.

The Missouri db hit Wiggins early. It was interference on Missouri and it wasn't called.

Credit Wiggins for doing whatever it takes to keep the play alive.

Where was the DB covering Davisson? How come he never made the play?

He must've "quit" on the play, I guess.

As far as I'm concerned, I've seen enough terrible calls go against Nebraska...if one goes "our" way, I'll take it and not aplogize for it.

1978 OU, freshman back-up qb Kelly Phelps gets blasted by John Ruud (not to be confused with his brother, Tom).

Phelps did not step out of bounds. There was no whistle blown as Phelps tippy-toed the sideline.

The ball was marked down at the point of the hit,...but his forward progress was stopped. I mean it was STOPPED! Keith Jackson even remarks what a bad call that was.

The Blazek int run, the Crouch facemask, the Ruud hit were about as bad of calls I've ever seen.

twist2_si.jpg

The thing that makes me laugh about that is a ref can look at the play and see Crouch has his helmet on backwards even after he gets up. Do they not wonder in the least why he had his helmet on backwards or did they just think he was attempting to set a new trend?

Figured he had a special lense in the ear hole, and that he was cheating using it....lucky he didn't get the flag on that one.

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingru...BGameReport.pdf

scroll down, second page, left side. note "illegally kicking ball" as an extant foul.

That maybe true BUT he did not mean to kick the ball. It came out of his hands and when we was getting tackled the ball bounced off of his foot and our recieve caught it. There is no harm in that. Thanks anyways oooohhhhh ya didn't we win the NC that year. HAHAHAHA

Not to take the conversation away from Nebraska, but what about the blown call with oregon and oklahoma. I think it makes it 10 times worse when you have instant replay and still get the call way wrong. I'm not an oklahoma fan, but that might have cost them a NC.

Not to take the conversation away from Nebraska, but what about the blown call with oregon and oklahoma. I think it makes it 10 times worse when you have instant replay and still get the call way wrong. I'm not an oklahoma fan, but that might have cost them a NC.

That is one of the top 10 worst calls in sports history not just college football.