Saturday practice report

The Huskers worked out in full pads for this time this spring on Saturday, going for more than 2 1/2 hours inside of Memorial Stadium.

Husker coach Bo Pelini said he's seeing steady improvement through this first week.

"I thought the tempo was good," Pelini said. "It was physical. We made a lot of strides the first three days, especially defensively. They've got a lot to learn. But the tempo's good, the effort's good."

*** Junior safety Rickey Thenarse was back at practice after missing Friday's workout while dealing with the death of a brother.

In recent months, the Husker junior safety has had two brothers die as the results of shootings and was a witness to the most recent one.

Thenarse, a native of Los Angeles, arrived back in Omaha late on Friday night.

"He's a strong kid," Husker coach Bo Pelini said. "He has the support of everybody around here. He's just going through a difficult time with his family."

*** Pelini talked about how he'll be looking to find leaders this spring.

"I think Joe Ganz does a nice job of taking control on the offensive side of the ball, but it has to come from more than just the quarterback. It's got to come in every group," Pelini said. "It's there, it's steadily showing itself, but it remains to be seen who those (leaders) are."

*** I asked Pelini about his initial impressions of senior defensive end Barry Turner.

"Barry has had a good couple of days. They're learning some new things. I saw some improvement. I thought this was probably his best practice today. He's got a lot of ability. We just got to get him headed in the right direction.

"A lot of those guys on the defensive side of the ball, they have a lot being thrown at them. With as multiple as our offense is, they're being challenged formation-wise and being able to understand where to go and how to adjust. That's going to take some time, but we're seeing some good things out of them."

*** Pelini admitted there are some growing pains the defense is going through trying to install things while working against an offense that shows so many formations.

"You get challenged with the offense, with as much as they do formation-wise, it adds to the number of things you have to cover and (players) have to adjust to, which is going to make us better in the long run but is hard installation-wise early."

Link

Man, it's great to see that we are headed in the right direction again. I'm not expecting miracles this next season I just want to see the guys play with heart and fire.

:yeah

We might be surprised how well the team does with a little fire and confidence. Winning breeds winning!

Man, it's great to see that we are headed in the right direction again. I'm not expecting miracles this next season I just want to see the guys play with heart and fire.

I'm not expecting big things on D this season, respectable will be fine considering how many we lost and the lack of coaching they received before. But with the O we should have a respectable D should get us to a respectable bowl.

Not me..

I'm expecting a top 5 Defense and an undefeated regular season...Just like I did akmost every preseason growing up with the Huskers.

:box:koolaid2::rant

Sorry it is all coach speak to me. Until I see these players in a game, I am not getting my hopes up.

You think the head coach is going to say. Ah what a bunch of losers and they don't evn try. Come on guys, your total homerism is showing.

I am tired of hearing how bad the past staff was and how great the new one is. We have no way of knowing anything yet.

I think we have a coach that can get it done, but I still question the heart and sole of this team.

Tired of hearing they have to learn how to tackle. Christ most of them have been playing football since they were five or six years old. If they do not know how to tackle after highschool, why in the sam he doulle hockey sticks were they recruited.

Time to quit making excuses and belly up to the bar.

I have high hopes for the future, but not until I see them play will I say it will happen.

Blind faith gets you poked in the eye on numerous occasions, need I remind most of you about last year. NC breaking the huddle, what a load of crap. Poor coaching or the lack of it was not the only reason this team failed last year. Until I see proof on the field they are for real, I will bide my time on handing out any accolades to the staff or the players.

I am not questioning this staff at all. I am questioning the heart and dedication of this team.

Let the slug fest begin.

^

With ya dude.

I'm tired of this glossy, feel-good stories that make us think everything will be different this year. Until they get on the field and prove it to me, then I could really care less what some writers say or about the 'coach speak' that gets thrown our way.

BigWillie, you put in two sentences exactly my general worries about all these stories that I couldn't put down precisely into words. :thumbsup

Although, the fan/homer side of me can't help but get excited. They are feel-good stories, after all, and there's little else to hang on to. Oh well. :koolaid2: If the team fails to deliver, there's plenty of time for me to be angsty about that, next year.