RB Dalton Hilliard

• 1 month later...

Free (for now) article on Scout:

Although Dalton Hilliard hasn't scheduled any official trips yet, he says he plans to do that soon. "I hope to start setting them up this week," Hilliard said. "I definitely plan on visiting Nebraska, Colorado, Stanford and Arizona. I'm still not sure about the last one though." The most likely other candidate is Washington, California or UCLA, but the Bears and Bruins haven't offered yet.

Nebraska is one of the few schools he hasn't unofficially visited yet and he says that they are recruiting him the hardest. "They write handwritten letter every other day," Hilliard said. "They also call whenever they can and I really feel like they are working hard recruiting me."

Hilliard says he wants to major in civil engineering and reports a 3.4 core GPA and a 1610 SAT. More

• 4 weeks later...

ESPN West Recruiting blog reports:

Running back Dalton Hilliard (Honolulu, Hawaii/ Punahou) said he loved his visit to Nebraska last weekend but he's not ready to commit just yet. Prior to the visit, we thought there was a chance he could pull the trigger.

I loved it but I have more visits to take," Hilliard said. "The atmosphere at Nebraska was incredible and the trip was everything I thought it would be.

"The players were great to me and made me feel like part of the team. All the players I talked with love it there and believe they're on the verge of turning things around. It's real laid back and coming from Hawaii, that's what I'm used to."

Hilliard will take a weekend off to recuperate and then will be back on the road to check out a pair of Pac-10 schools.

"I'm going to UCLA (Oct. 17) and Arizona (Oct. 24)," Hilliard said. "I also have Colorado on (Nov. 7). I just set up the visit with UCLA, the other two have been set for awhile and I'm excited to see these schools so I have something to compare Nebraska to."

• 2 weeks later...

Crap:

Also visiting Westwood this past weekend was running back Dalton Hilliard (Honolulu/Punahou). Hilliard flew in to Los Angeles Saturday morning and his visit will go until Monday morning before he heads back to the Islands.

We caught up briefly with the athlete who said the visit was going great so far.

"They offered me and that was exciting," Hilliard. "I was kind of waiting for that one because I've liked UCLA for a long time. I love the campus and had a great time at the Rose Bowl."

There were some reports saying Hilliard also committed, but he denied those rumors.

"No, I haven't committed yet," Hilliard said. "I'm close though, I'm going to wait until I get home and talk things over with my parents. It could be within the week, but I expect to make my decision by next weekend."

Hilliard has also visited Nebraska and had trips remaining set with Arizona and Colorado. Our call is the running back will cancel those visits and decide between the Cornhuskers and Bruins sometime late next week.

Hopefully he'll come to his senses, but...

Panic! ;)

Inside UCLA with Brian Dohn

Punahou of Honolulu tailback Dalton Hilliard told me he could decide next week on his college destination, and in recruiting circles the feeling is UCLA will be tough to beat.

Hilliard will visit Arizona this weekend. He made an official trip to UCLA for last week's Stanford game.

"I got back (Monday) afternoon from my (UCLA) trip and felt real good about it," Hilliard said. "I'm not going to do anything yet. Probably next week, early in the week, I'll make a decision. I'm definitely going to take this trip to Arizona and get another Pac-10 view."

Hilliard already visited Nebraska, and said if he does make more trips after Arizona, it would be to Colorado and Utah.

"UCLA has been really high on my list for a long time, and I definitely waited around to see if they were ever going to come through with an offer and they did," Hilliard said. "I guess you could call it that UCLA is the top school in terms of where they rank in terms of my recruiting, and how I feel about them."

Hilliard enjoying Arizona

We caught up with athlete Dalton Hilliard (Honolulu/Punahou) during his visit to Arizona and it sounds like the Cats are giving him a lot to think about.

"I'm having a very good time," Hilliard said. "Arizona is a nice place and I had a great time at the football game. Coach Stoops said they want me as an athlete and I could pick if I want to play running back or defensive back.

"I think this will be my last visit and I'm pretty sure I'll be making my decision in the next week. It will be between Nebraska, UCLA and Arizona -- those are the three schools I visited."

Hilliard visited the Bruins a week ago and told us he was very close to committing on the trip. In fact, we thought there was a good chance he would cancel his visit to Arizona, especially after hearing that Rancho Verde (Moreno Valley, Calif.) running back Daniel Jenkins planned to commit to the Cats this weekend.

"I'm definitely considering Arizona," Hilliard added. "I'm going to take some time to think things over and then hopefully I'll be ready to do this and pick a school."

Yup....ESPN has it confirmed too: <_<

Bruins snare Hawaiian RB Dalton Hilliard

Dalton Hilliard has committed to UCLA over offers from Arizona, Utah, Washington, Stanford, Hawaii, Colorado, Nebraska and Notre Dame.

He told ESPN's Greg Biggins, "UCLA is where I've wanted to go for a long time. I loved my visit there and felt so comfortable on the campus. I wanted to take this last visit to Arizona to have one more school to compare UCLA with but once I got home, I knew UCLA was the place for me."

"They have a lot of young running backs so they want me to come in at corner or even slot receiver. It really doesn't matter to me, I'll play whatever gets me on the field the fastest. Right now, I'm just relieved to have the process over."

ESPN's Billy Tucker elaborated on the news, "UCLA continues its hot streak on the recruiting with the pickup of Hilliard our No. 37 ranked running back in a class filled with great depth at the position. We have had a chance to evaluate Hilliard extensively on film and in person and have come away very impressed with the well-rounded skills he brings to the table."

"He is a bit sturdier in-person than his measurables on paper suggest; with some added size and strength he could grow into a quality back with the Bruins if he remains on offense. The type of back who can hurt you with both his inside and outside running skills as well as his polished hands out of the backfield. Hits the hole hard with good pad level, balance and burst out of his cuts; has deceptive strength as a downhill runner. He flashes the perimeter speed and quickness needed to bounce it outside as well and an extra gear when turns the corner."

"The Punahou School in Hawaii also boasts the nation's No. 1 overall linebacker in Manti Te'o, and head coach Kale Ane appears equally impressed with Hilliard."

Ane said, "Dalton is having an outstanding year. He has run the ball both inside and outside showing great speed and acceleration."

"He has also returned punts and kick-offs as well as playing defensive back and some slot receiver for us. He loves to compete and always rises to the occasion. He continues to work on his defensive technique and is getting better all the time."