Things Callahan did right..

Nope. How are those things incompatible? He took ALL the credit when things went well, but then pointed the finger when things didn't go so well (i.e., most of the time last season). I was just highlighting this point.

When Ganz had that killer game, it was the system that worked, not the players. I guess I did see an "O" out there hike the ball to another "O" who chucked it down field to another "O". Man, that system sure knows how to play football...

So you are saying that Ganz could go to Florida and have success? How about Oklahoma? USC?

The fact is, whether anyone here admits it or not, it was BC's system that led to huge offensive numbers for us.

Look at the talent we had at QB. We had marginal talents with noodle arms like Ganz and Taylor no one else wanted, but yet they were turned into record breaking QBs and B12 OPOY.

You can look at the WR's and TE's they had to accomplish this as well. Nothing but marginal talents at best (minus Purify) but yet this was still accomplished. Imagine the numbers we would have put up with a game breaking threat in this offense.

What you fail to recognize is the read and progressions that happen in BC's offense. You don't come in here first thing making 3rd and 4th reads over your progressions over night. Hell, no HS player has learned that. That is something that the coaches have to put in you, because it is not something that is taught at such a young age.

If you truly believe our offensive success was based on anything BUT the coaches, you are more blinded and misguided than I can even fathom.

Okay. Well, if the players actually refused to do what they were told (which has not been proven), it tells me: that there must not be too much leadership at the top, players don't buy into the system, or both. Either way, if I'm the head coach and looking at these "slackers," I would bench them. What would have been the difference? If they weren't doing their job, what difference would it have made if we put in a second stringer? Looking back at the results, I would say: no difference.

Sure, coaches can really only put you in a position to make plays (which didn't happen much last season either), but if players aren't playing up to expectations, then bench them. It's as simple as that.

Obviously you did not sit down to watch the game or even understand the concept of Coz's system. If you had watched games over or understand the system, you would known the players were continuously out of position. It doesn't take anything needing to be "proven", just watch the game and watch how some of the linemen and LB's took their gap control responsibilities and basically told Coz to go eff' himself with them.

And about benching them -- that is something I agree on. They needed to be benched for their attitudes. However the alternative would not have been much better with walk-ons or freshmen who would have been mauled as well. But at least they would have done the job asked of them.

Yep. I just listen to whatever the media tells me and take it at face value. You sure do know me.

Show me an original opinion and I will think differently. However, I only see an opinion given to you from the likes of Sean Callahan or Steve Sipple.

Yeah, and not once did I go out of my way to say how I loved the style of practice. To me, it was stupid. You don't recruit a bunch of 4 or 5 star athletes and bring them into play college football like it's the NFL.

LOL

Did I call this later in my post or what. Pat on the back goes to me.

Yeah, it is a common theme. But I tend not to follow themes. When I see it, I will believe it. I feel we have the potential to have a great team this season, and it seems the spring practices are going well. That's really all I can say right now. I do have high hopes though, but it's from watching videos of their practices, not from what someone from a NEBRASKA newspaper is saying about a NEBRASKA team.

But yet you preach to me about the difference in practices and other things Pelini is doing as compared to BC? You are following the theme of every coaching change and every spring.

Also, do not tell me you watch video of practice, because no one does. You see short clips of what is pre-arranged by the coaches, but nothing else. The media is allowed to the first half-hour of practice and that is it. These coaches are not stupid enough to allow someone into their stadium, watch their spring practice and begin to breakdown something important they do not want anyone else seeing.

I mean, why do you think the spring game is not on TV this year? Why give anyone a free chance at film of our new offense and defense? It is stupid.

Please show me where I said I loved the Cally practices? Actually, other than my previous post, show me where I said anything positive about Cally.

I'll be waiting in my corner of hypocrisy.

This opinion was shared by everyone in the original coming of BC. Just now as it is the opinion of everyone about how they love Pelini's intense practices. Everyone falls in love with the shiny stories about how great things are, just as you are doing now. But I am sure you did not then, because you have shown to have such original self-formed opinions.

I didn't "supposedly" hear anything. Read what I posted, it was witnessed. By my uncle and cousin.

Oh, trust me, I do not doubt it happened. I know it happened, which is why I have such a hatred for Bo and Corey especially.

Again, go back and read. Both the coaches and players were blamed.

And again, you simply do not understand what I have said, am trying to say and have explained numerous times.

Hows this for hypocisy?

I fall in line with the thinking that you get what you give. If you want respect, you have to show it as well.

If I remember correclty isn't there 11 players on both sides of the ball? So why is just Bo and Corey the only ones being blammed for the poor performances of our 07' defense. Our front four were brand spanking new. I watched every game that was televised on TV and I went to the ISU game and not just Bo and Corey are to blame here because everybody on our defense was TERRIBLE. We had a lot of miss tackles and the only player on our defense that stood out from last year was Crixby. I couldn't stand Crixby last year but this year he was outstanding and a very much improved player.

It takes one player to ruin the mood of an entire team. When one (or in this case several) players constantly are at odds with the coaches because the players are not doing what is asked of them, it drags the entire team down. One guy screws up, another has to give up his responsibility to cover someone elses butt. It's a bit hard to do your job and someone elses as well. :)

Trust me when I say, Bo and Corey were NOT the only players that displayed an attitude that brought the team down. But BY FAR they were the two biggest culprits.

And you shouldn't give just Grixby credit. Guys like Octo (on occassion), Potter, Asante (even though he played like garbage), Lance, Murillo, Blue, Bowman and probably a few others I am forgetting busted their butts to make the team better. However, like I said, it only takes a few guys screwing up to ruin everyone else.

This defense was nowhere near as bad as the stats indicated. I mean, look at the praise Bo has given the defense on talent alone. He recognizes it as do most. It is just some attitudes didn't clash last year and it ruined the entire team.

I don't know where you guys are getting this crap where Bo and Corey were pulling themselves out of the game because they were afraid of getting hit. Didn't Corey play most of the season injuried (Ankle?) and Bo had his arm broken a few years ago before a bowl game (Bowl game against Michigan or Auburn I think it was Michigan). When people break a bone sometimes their not the same person after that injury for instance look at Matt Herian. Matt didn't have that speed anymore like he use to.

I think that Coz really is the big blame here cause COACHES COACH PLAYERS. Coaches are the ones who suppose to get into your faces when your not doing your job right and motivate players when things aren't going their way. I think that after the Wake Forest game is where everything started to go down hill for the players. I think that everybody on the Defense is part of the reason why we sucked so bad but the #1 reason is that Coz couldn't motivate our players or change anything during halftime or during a game.

Bo had an All B12 season after he broke his arm. So I am not sure what you are even trying to refer to? Players break bones all the time, but it is only the gruesome ones (normally compound fractures or microfracture) that causes players to come back at less than what they were.

Having a bum ankle has nothing to do with stepping up, taking on a block, so not for sure what you are getting at there either.

And it is a bit hard to motivate a player when a player (or players) are giving you lip back, acting as much the coach as you are. It was a case of the inmates running the asylum, which is to blame on the coaches. However, those players who were upperclassmen doing this should realize when to keep their attitudes in check.

As I've said multiple times, the players were to blame just as much as the coaches for last seasons performance. I am not defending the coaches, just simply stating that is garbage to place the blame solely on their shoulders which is done WAY too often by us.

EDIT: If my post comes out looking muffed up again, I quit. The quote feature works fine in preview mode, but not when I post. :madash

Uh oh, better be careful Landlord. Or big Willie will start to explain to you that you don't have an opinion either and even when you agree with him he will still tell you you're wrong because his opinion is the only correct one. God forbid if anyone else had something to say about Husker football. Personally Landlord, I thought this topic was a good idea, lots to talk about. But, obviously there is only one person on this board that knows anything about Husker football and that man is big Willie, just ask him.

So you are saying that Ganz could go to Florida and have success? How about Oklahoma? USC?

No, I'm not saying that. That's just what you want me to be saying so you can make your point easier. If you take most players out of their current system and put them into a brand new system, it's not going to be very successful. Oklahoma? Maybe. USC? No. Florida? Probably not.

But you are missing my point. My point was that it takes the players learning the system and executing within the system - offensive or defensive - to be successful. Want proof? Look at the Mizzou game. Same exact system, but the players weren't executing on the field. How far did that get them in the game? 297 total yards and a whopping 6 points. I guess the system was just having an off day.

If you truly believe our offensive success was based on anything BUT the coaches, you are more blinded and misguided than I can even fathom.

Well, if this is true, then when the offense failed to produce, it was the coaches fault, right? I mean, if you are going to give them credit when they succeed, then they need to take the blame when it fails. Can't say I remember hearing Cally mention that a whole lot though.

Obviously you did not sit down to watch the game or even understand the concept of Coz's system. If you had watched games over or understand the system, you would known the players were continuously out of position. It doesn't take anything needing to be "proven", just watch the game and watch how some of the linemen and LB's took their gap control responsibilities and basically told Coz to go eff' himself with them.

Oh, I understood his system alright. But trying to get the opposing offense to get tired from running up and down the field just isn't a good strategy.

So, would have been okay then keeping Coz? I mean, it was the players being constantly out of position. With some new players this year (namely the LBs), Coz's defense probably would have dominated.

And about benching them -- that is something I agree on. They needed to be benched for their attitudes. However the alternative would not have been much better with walk-ons or freshmen who would have been mauled as well. But at least they would have done the job asked of them.

Willie! Look at this. We should probably frame this, because this is the first FULL paragraph we agree with each other 100%!!!

But yet you preach to me about the difference in practices and other things Pelini is doing as compared to BC? You are following the theme of every coaching change and every spring.

Ehhh...can't say I have been too thrilled about a new football season starting since the T.O. era. Solich and Callahan's spring practices didn't really excite me too much. Coming off a very disappointing, pathetic season, I tend to be excited for this change. Bo has proven himself to be a defensive guru. Our defense was pathetic last year. So, I see the opportunity for the defense to at least get to being average in the first season. Not sure how big of a turn around this defense is capable of, but the players have been talking about how different the two coaching staffs are.

In my opinion, there is reason to get excited this spring.

Also, do not tell me you watch video of practice, because no one does. You see short clips of what is pre-arranged by the coaches, but nothing else. The media is allowed to the first half-hour of practice and that is it. These coaches are not stupid enough to allow someone into their stadium, watch their spring practice and begin to breakdown something important they do not want anyone else seeing.

True.

This opinion was shared by everyone in the original coming of BC. Just now as it is the opinion of everyone about how they love Pelini's intense practices. Everyone falls in love with the shiny stories about how great things are, just as you are doing now. But I am sure you did not then, because you have shown to have such original self-formed opinions.

Shared by everyone huh? Interesting.

Your opinion isn't original. There are plenty of people who share the same sentiment as you, but I guess since you are in the minority you think it makes you original. Okay, but you (just like me) are using the same arguments I have had with numerous others sharing your view, so it doesn't seem all that original to me.

But you are missing my point.

And you are missing the point of this thread, hypocrite.

PLEASE let's get back on topic.

I thought it was a nice coaching move to bring Watson down to the sidelines last season when things weren't going so well, and to even have him call the plays was a big thing for Callahan to do, especially with the having the pride of the team running YOUR offense.

Player GPA's rose to all time high levels under his watch.

Upgrade in recruiting, new contacts made to areas that had never considered Nebraska before.

Provided the vehicle of change for the offense. Although it was a bumpy transition, that period is over and the talent has been upgraded to go with it.

What area was he recruiting that never considered Nebraska before?

How about you should quit anyways. This thread isn't your personal debate tool, and you aren't using it properly. So please stop.

If this kind of crap continues, feel free to close the thread mods.

Dude, quit trying to police the board. No one is taking anything personal with the exception of one guy who gets butt hurt if you even respond to him.

We are debating, as this board was meant to do. Threads veer all the time, but it doesn't take away from the premise of this board.

Frankly, if it wasn't for this debate, this thread would likely be page 2 material anyways. Just be happy I am helping keep this thread alive. :)

Uh oh, better be careful Landlord. Or big Willie will start to explain to you that you don't have an opinion either and even when you agree with him he will still tell you you're wrong because his opinion is the only correct one. God forbid if anyone else had something to say about Husker football. Personally Landlord, I thought this topic was a good idea, lots to talk about. But, obviously there is only one person on this board that knows anything about Husker football and that man is big Willie, just ask him.

Thank you for showing what you contribute to this board and will contribute to this board.

If you want to have an actual discussion with banter back and forth like Michael is kind enough to do without getting your feelings hurt, please feel free to respond. Otherwise, lets keep the childish responses to a minimum, mmmkay?

No, I'm not saying that. That's just what you want me to be saying so you can make your point easier. If you take most players out of their current system and put them into a brand new system, it's not going to be very successful. Oklahoma? Maybe. USC? No. Florida? Probably not.

But you are missing my point. My point was that it takes the players learning the system and executing within the system - offensive or defensive - to be successful. Want proof? Look at the Mizzou game. Same exact system, but the players weren't executing on the field. How far did that get them in the game? 297 total yards and a whopping 6 points. I guess the system was just having an off day.

Now you are grasping at straws, using one game over the course of a season to validate your point. That's weak man, you know it and I know it.

In any case, do you really want to argue results as compared to overall talent? I mean, honestly, besides Lucky and Purify who would really see time at a powerhouse football school on our offense? This offense has lacked a playmaker and any star talent from day 1, but yet it still produces results.

Name me one other school in D1A that has the same level of talent on offense as us, but produces the same results.

Well, if this is true, then when the offense failed to produce, it was the coaches fault, right? I mean, if you are going to give them credit when they succeed, then they need to take the blame when it fails. Can't say I remember hearing Cally mention that a whole lot though.

Not for sure what you are trying to get at here. But I will gladly give Callahan credit when the offense failed as well. At no point am I saying Callahan was blameless in alot of regards.

The whole premise of my original post in this thread was to address to silliness that goes on when his name is brought up. He doesn't deserve even half of the hate thrown his way.

But now, we see what this thread has veered off into. :)

Oh, I understood his system alright. But trying to get the opposing offense to get tired from running up and down the field just isn't a good strategy.

So, would have been okay then keeping Coz? I mean, it was the players being constantly out of position. With some new players this year (namely the LBs), Coz's defense probably would have dominated.

Okay, so obviously you do not understand the system which is what I originally thought. No problem with that, because most who hate on Coz have the same problem.

This is what I was originally getting at when I say people place un-warranted hate on coaches when they do not really understand what is going on.

It is easy to look at a box score or stat sheet and come to an easy conclusion. But when you actually rewind your DVR looking back at why we gave up the stats we did, you realize it isn't all about the coaches sometimes.

However, Coz DID deserve to go as I said before. Not because his scheme didn't work, but simply his attitude didn't click with some players. At some point, you just have to come to a mutual understanding that for the betterment of all parties, he needed to move on so he and the program both could move forward.

Willie! Look at this. We should probably frame this, because this is the first FULL paragraph we agree with each other 100%!!!

Ah man, we are not as far off in our understanding and thinking as this thread would lead most to believe.

Ehhh...can't say I have been too thrilled about a new football season starting since the T.O. era. Solich and Callahan's spring practices didn't really excite me too much. Coming off a very disappointing, pathetic season, I tend to be excited for this change. Bo has proven himself to be a defensive guru. Our defense was pathetic last year. So, I see the opportunity for the defense to at least get to being average in the first season. Not sure how big of a turn around this defense is capable of, but the players have been talking about how different the two coaching staffs are.

In my opinion, there is reason to get excited this spring.

But you have to understand, the same was said about BC's first spring when he came aboard as well.

Not for the intensity, but for how much they had learned, the professional nature of practices, etc., Every spring we will hear the praises, but very little of the wrong things that go on that will give us doubt.

Regardless of what we do this fall, watch next year when we hear the same glossy stories that make us believe that this year will be different from last. It happens every year, because that is what everyone wants to hear.

Bookmark this thread and come back in a year.

I am not saying Pelini will not change this team, I am just more in line with the thinking of "put up or shutup".

Personally, I want to see what happens in the spring game. Even under Callahan you could not get a good grasp of what was going to happen when you are running 1's vs 2's in a game setting. At least this year we will get to see (or more likely hear, HA!) how far our players have really came along versus actual comparable talent.

True.

Ah, again we agree. Maybe we will not have to see the counselor after all to work through our problems. ;)

Shared by everyone huh? Interesting.

Your opinion isn't original. There are plenty of people who share the same sentiment as you, but I guess since you are in the minority you think it makes you original. Okay, but you (just like me) are using the same arguments I have had with numerous others sharing your view, so it doesn't seem all that original to me.

Actually, I would be quite interested in you showing me someone who puts blame on the players while calling a few out by name, defends the former coaches to an extent and thinks 99% of what you hear during spring practice is garbage material designed to sell more issues or create more hits for their website.

I would like to buy these guys or gals a beer and tell them how cool they are. :lol:

Thanks Dad, er, Big Willie. I was just throwing a little humor your way but take it as you will. I've made my points and honestly this whole thread has opened my eyes a little on what took place last season. I know that I was biased in some areas, but heck who isn't? We all know that last season is on both the players and coaches and it just sucks that we may never know the real reason why the team played like it did. But it is fun discussing our theories.

Willie,

That would be me, so I will hurry back to the VaTech game for my beer. Even though I do not drink it.

That will be when we really know what we have. I expect to see a meaner, hungrier team than we have seen against the top team on our schedule the last two years. If that happens no matter the score I will be happy.

bb, I am very confident in what I say about what happened with our team. Blame can be laid on both sides, but players from last year really failed to keep their egos in check. From there, the wheels just really came off from both sides.

skersfan, I knew you were always a cool guy. Unfortunately, I am not from Nebraska so you cannot collect your beer this year. You may not drink beer, but if you make it out to the VA Tech game NEXT year and I'll be happy to buy you a glass of orange juice, Gatorage, water or whatever you want you big sissy. ;) Peer pressure will turn you into a drinker before long. HA!

Dude, quit trying to police the board. No one is taking anything personal with the exception of one guy who gets butt hurt if you even respond to him.

We are debating, as this board was meant to do. Threads veer all the time, but it doesn't take away from the premise of this board.

Yep. Half of the time I create a thread, for the first 5 posts it's on subject, and then after that it goes from topic to topic; most of the time, the different topics are somewhat related to the original thread topic. This thread is no different...

Now you are grasping at straws, using one game over the course of a season to validate your point. That's weak man, you know it and I know it.

Ha! Yeah, you caught me. I just started to disagree with you to start a debate. I tried to win, but in order to debate, there must be two (or more) opposing opinions. Unfortunately for me, the opinion I mostly agreed with was taken (by you), so I had to take the stance that the coaches were the bottom-line problem.

It was a mixture of a few players as well as a disconnect (?) between the coaches and players. Really, there is no one problem I can point out and say, "This was why the Huskers sucked it last year." It was a combination of unforeseeable circumstances that knocked the Husker players, coaches, and fans flat on their asses.

Sigh.

Okay, so obviously you do not understand the system which is what I originally thought. No problem with that, because most who hate on Coz have the same problem.

No, I might not fully understand the system. However, what I don't fully understand was why the defense was okay some years, and then all of a sudden it flat-lined in 2007. Part of this may have something to do with the fact that our D line was better for the first few years, but then in 2007, the D line was a little younger due to many of our great starters leaving.

In all honesty, if you fully understand Coz's scheme, I would love to have it explained. Not sure what that would entail, or how you would do that, but if you have the time and energy, I am listening.

However, Coz DID deserve to go as I said before. Not because his scheme didn't work, but simply his attitude didn't click with some players. At some point, you just have to come to a mutual understanding that for the betterment of all parties, he needed to move on so he and the program both could move forward.

Yes, and maybe this contributed to some players not giving 100% all of the time. Either way, it was obvious things were not working out on the defensive side of the ball.

Ah man, we are not as far off in our understanding and thinking as this thread would lead most to believe.

Yes, I know.

Personally, I want to see what happens in the spring game. Even under Callahan you could not get a good grasp of what was going to happen when you are running 1's vs 2's in a game setting. At least this year we will get to see (or more likely hear, HA!) how far our players have really came along versus actual comparable talent.

See, I am not really excited to see what happens during the spring game. Sure, I will listen and read to see what went on. But playing against your own team does not show me what this team is capable of.

The Spring Game and spring practice is just that: practice. A chance to improve skills? Yes. A gauge of how good the team will do in season play? No.

Actually, I would be quite interested in you showing me someone who puts blame on the players while calling a few out by name, defends the former coaches to an extent and thinks 99% of what you hear during spring practice is garbage material designed to sell more issues or create more hits for their website.

I would like to buy these guys or gals a beer and tell them how cool they are. :lol:

Eh. I put blame on a few players, but I probably wouldn't call them out by name. At least not anymore. I somewhat defend the coaches, but honestly, not really. Spring practice isn't garbage, but I don't bet my life on what I hear coming out of practice or the results of the Spring Game.

Is that good for like a half a beer? Or maybe a cheap, crappy full beer?

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to generate fresh offseason discussion, let's talk about things that Callahan did right in his stay at NU. Please, no sarcastic or angry posts about him doing nothing right or being good at sucking or etc., this is meant to be an honest thread. Here's a few..

* '05 Colorado game. How many people actually thought we were going to win this game? I remember I did, but I also remember that I was made fun of for thinking so and couldn't find anyone who shared that viewpoint. Anyways, what an awesome feeling it was to watch that game. Completely dominating and embarassing our least liked of "rivals". Great stuff.

* Clean program. Subtracting the Purify incident (didn't get too much of a punishment, at least as far as we know) he kept his players in line well and didn't allow for a lot of misconduct. Hard to do these days.

Feel free to add your own or discuss those already posted before you.

He left town quietly, LOL!

Seriously, he lowered the expectations, showed everyone what NOT to do to be successful in major college football, and gave a real coach and a good coaching staff a chance to build a program the right way.

Also, his failure led directly to the firing of Pederson, and brought Coach/Dr. Tom Osborne back into the program.