Things Callahan did right..

I think he filled the offensive trenches. I think Coach Pelini will reap the rewards from BC's efforts there.

He also brought a good bunch of QB's to the fray.

He made it apparent we needed a defensive mind in the program.

I still like the guy and wish him luck with the Jets. I hope as time goes by some of us lose this hate for him. I did not like what happened under his watch, but I turly believe he did the best he could do. That is all you can ask from anyone. Some can, some can not. It proved he was not the right fit for Nebraska. But he was not an evil person on a mission to destroy the program. He may have set us back, but it clearly was not his intention.

Let by gones be by gones.

Thats an awesome take on BC's time... I agree 100% and makes me glad I didnt throw away the ball I had BC sign for me.

Had the balls to bring a pass happy mentality to the option minded people of Nebraska. Most coaches nationwide new that they would face ridicule from the Nebraska fans if they were to even attempt what callahan did. It really hurt him in the end to jump head first into that fire. But now we have Watson and NU fans have become somewhat accustomed to a passing offense, but we will see a better run team in the future with Pelini.

This is a brilliant point. We NEEDED to modernize the offense and he was the one who came in and did it, despite all the heat he took for it.

Agreed... a lot of respect going round for Billy boy... I like that!

The BEST things Callahan did while at Nebraska... and I mean this with every cell of my being...

1) When we lost at Oklahoma and he called the OU fans exactly what we know them to be... F'ing HILLBILLIES! That took guts and needed to be said... OU fans suck at hospitality!

2) The throat slash at the ref who blew a call... in fact I wish he had done more of that as it seems the officials had their heads up their arses everytime they officiated a Husker game under Bill's watch.

3) Recruiting... pick a player, any player.

4) Big 12 North Title 2006

5) Record Breaking play calling... how many of his QBs smashed the passing records?

6) Hiring Shwan Watson as OC.

7) Sticking with Grixby on kick off returns... evidenced when he finally took it to the house during KSU 2007.

I hope Bill does well with the Jets, they are lucky to have him!

Had the balls to bring a pass happy mentality to the option minded people of Nebraska. Most coaches nationwide new that they would face ridicule from the Nebraska fans if they were to even attempt what callahan did. It really hurt him in the end to jump head first into that fire. But now we have Watson and NU fans have become somewhat accustomed to a passing offense, but we will see a better run team in the future with Pelini.

This is a brilliant point. We NEEDED to modernize the offense and he was the one who came in and did it, despite all the heat he took for it.

Pre-"modernization" of offense (2000-2003) 74% winning percentage (38-14)

Post-"modernization" of offense (2000-2007) 19% winning percentage (27-22)

Nope...don't see where that "modernizing the offense" crap did a whole boat load of good....nomination for "brilliant point" award denied!!!

Nope...don't see where that "modernizing the offense" crap did a whole boat load of good....nomination for "brilliant point" award denied!!!

That's 73.1% and 55.1% for you, Cy...you were saying something about a "brilliant" point? ;)

That's 73.1% and 55.1% for you, Cy...you were saying something about a "brilliant" point? ;)

Oh sure...and next you'll be telling me that my A.R.M. mortgage deal with no money down was a BAD thing.... <_<

Nebraska in 2007 wound up ninth nationally in the same category, with Callahan calling the shots. Watson said he learned from Callahan how to combat ever-changing defensive schemes — zone pressure packages, for instance.

“Bill was always ahead of the game,” Watson said. “In two years, I feel like I got 10 years of education. I have a bigger background in terms of answers.”

Mostly just two areas-

1. Player academic performance

2. Recruiting

I'm not convinced his playcalling was any better than Solich. True, you couldn't always predict the call like you could with Solich, but at least you would know that Solich would NOT do a fake punt from his own 20 to ensure that we lose the Cotton Bowl.

He was coaching to win. You probably wouldn't be complaining if Shanle hadn't dropped a football right on his numbers.

If you fake punt from your own 20 in the second quarter you are NOT coaching to win. You are coaching like an idiot. Auburn could barely move the ball on us! We gave them their first two scoring drives and they only had to go like 40 yards for the two of them combined. On top of that, if you're resting the fate of your team on Shanle you're in bad shape anyway.

That play was beautiful and set up perfectly, but p*** poor execution caused it not to work. I think it was Todd who missed his block, otherwise Shanle could still be running on that play. One block away from at minimum a 30-40 yard gain.

You can't go hindsight on alot of that stuff though. Look at Texas in '06. Nunn holds onto the football and we win. Some will argue we should have ran for those 2 yards, but Cally set up a perfect play and had it work. Just p*** poor execution again.

Now some of that goes back to him, but on gameday you can only put these kids in position to make plays and have them do the rest. Quite a few times when he got criticized, it was just as much the kids not being able to make plays when they were in the position to.

Mostly just two areas-

2. Recruiting

I'm not convinced his playcalling was any better than Solich. True, you couldn't always predict the call like you could with Solich, but at least you would know that Solich would NOT do a fake punt from his own 20 to ensure that we lose the Cotton Bowl.

He was coaching to win. You probably wouldn't be complaining if Shanle hadn't dropped a football right on his numbers.

If you fake punt from your own 20 in the second quarter you are NOT coaching to win. You are coaching like an idiot. Auburn could barely move the ball on us! We gave them their first two scoring drives and they only had to go like 40 yards for the two of them combined. On top of that, if you're resting the fate of your team on Shanle you're in bad shape anyway.

That play was beautiful and set up perfectly, but p*** poor execution caused it not to work. I think it was Todd who missed his block, otherwise Shanle could still be running on that play. One block away from at minimum a 30-40 yard gain.

You can't go hindsight on alot of that stuff though. Look at Texas in '06. Nunn holds onto the football and we win. Some will argue we should have ran for those 2 yards, but Cally set up a perfect play and had it work. Just p*** poor execution again.

Now some of that goes back to him, but on gameday you can only put these kids in position to make plays and have them do the rest. Quite a few times when he got criticized, it was just as much the kids not being able to make plays when they were in the position to.

Hey- I'm not criticizing his decision to throw to Nunn against Texas. That was a pretty good call and he didn't take any unnecessary risks. That situation was totally different than the fake punt. The fake punt was such an awful call because it was so high risk/low reward. If it works, we get a first down. Ok, that's fine, but the game was really even, we weren't even close to field goal range, and it was only the second quarter. If it doesn't work (which it didn't) then we give Auburn's sub-par offense a golden opportunity to score by giving them the ball at their 25 yard line. It was just totally unnecessary- a bad call.

I understand that player execution is a factor, but that is omnipresent and barely worth mentioning. This was a call that was very high risk with a low reward. It's like if you wagered a thousand dollars on the flip of a coin and if you got it wrong you lose everything, and if you get it right you get twenty bucks. It's a bad idea even if it does work.

I remember the fake punt at SC. It worked and somewhat kept us in the game. If it works it is great if it fails it is stupid. You take chances to win or to put the players minds into it.

I do not fault him for the one against Auburn any more than the one against SC. If your not trying your losing.

I am glad to see the real Nebraska fan come out of some. None of us liked the ending, but there are positives to everything normally. It shows there is some healing going on among us.

I like his in your face attitude, it reminded me of Devaney. But he is gone, just lke the one before him. Both did the best they could do. Time to move on and hope Coach Pelini can dow what we are all looking for.

Mostly just two areas-

2. Recruiting

Hey- I'm not criticizing his decision to throw to Nunn against Texas. That was a pretty good call and he didn't take any unnecessary risks. That situation was totally different than the fake punt. The fake punt was such an awful call because it was so high risk/low reward. If it works, we get a first down. Ok, that's fine, but the game was really even, we weren't even close to field goal range, and it was only the second quarter. If it doesn't work (which it didn't) then we give Auburn's sub-par offense a golden opportunity to score by giving them the ball at their 25 yard line. It was just totally unnecessary- a bad call.

I understand that player execution is a factor, but that is omnipresent and barely worth mentioning. This was a call that was very high risk with a low reward. It's like if you wagered a thousand dollars on the flip of a coin and if you got it wrong you lose everything, and if you get it right you get twenty bucks. It's a bad idea even if it does work.

The throw to nunn was a bit of a risk. If it hadn't been completed, it would have stopped the clock (with over a minute left), giving Texas a chance to drive for the last score. Do you not remember everyone criticizing him for calling a pass play after that game was over? I certainly do.

Secondly, we would have got a first down from the fake punt, but we also would have got a big motivation boost, coupled with crushing the defense. There's more to football than statistics.

Wait, if you get it right, wouldn't you get $1,000 more? Where is the twenty coming from? I'm confused. :dunno