M. Lucky

What are your thoughts on Marlon Lucky? What are some of his strengths and weaknesses in your opinion? I've heard people saying he is over-rated and not as good as what most people think. Personally I think he is a decent RB he is no Reggie Bush or anything thats for sure. I think it all started when Billy C coached him and the other staff. Hopefully Bo and the staff can mold this kid into a solid RB that defensive coordinators fear. So tell me what you think of Marlon Lucky.

What are your thoughts on Marlon Lucky? What are some of his strengths and weaknesses in your opinion? I've heard people saying he is over-rated and not as good as what most people think. Personally I think he is a decent RB he is no Reggie Bush or anything thats for sure. I think it all started when Billy C coached him and the other staff. Hopefully Bo and the staff can mold this kid into a solid RB that defensive coordinators fear. So tell me what you think of Marlon Lucky.

Faulk. Marshall Faulk is always the first comparison that comes to my mind. Lucky would be a lot better if he had the power of A Pederson, but Luckys hands are his best asset. How many drops did Lucky have last year? How many drops did Nunn have? Who was the reciever? Marlon also has excellent vision. Anyone who says he is over-rated is only looking at his 5 :star and not what he accomplished. Or they may want a power back, he is not a power back, they may wanted a burner like Reggie Bush, he isn't that either. He's somewhere in the middle of that, but VERY good in space. Also it's not like we've had a dominating line, so we'll just see how he runs this year. Cotton isn't a very good O Coordinator, but he is a helluva O-Line coach.

Faulk. Marshall Faulk is always the first comparison that comes to my mind. Lucky would be a lot better if he had the power of A Pederson, but Luckys hands are his best asset. How many drops did Lucky have last year? How many drops did Nunn have? Who was the reciever? Marlon also has excellent vision. Anyone who says he is over-rated is only looking at his 5 :star and not what he accomplished. Or they may want a power back, he is not a power back, they may wanted a burner like Reggie Bush, he isn't that either. He's somewhere in the middle of that, but VERY good in space. Also it's not like we've had a dominating line, so we'll just see how he runs this year. Cotton isn't a very good O Coordinator, but he is a helluva O-Line coach.

Nice reply Kstatehater, the kid had over 1700 yards of total offense not sure how that equates to being over-rated.

If he duplicates his the 07 season he will more than likely be a first round pick. His pass catching abilityand vision will rate very high with the NFL socuts.

Here is my thought on Marlon Lucky. If Helu is doing as well as Pelini says (he keeps mentioning him without prompting), Marlon may see his carries significantly reduced and may become a 3rd down back in our offense. I would feel badly for him if that happened. Dude has glue for hands though.

I actually think talent isn't his problem at all. I'd agree that he might not be quite as talented as he was supposed to be, but I think that its there, I think the old staff's mentality led to under-utilization of his strenghts, and because of the way he was used his weaknesses became more apparent to us than his strenghts (with the exception of the middle screen, one play Callahan seems to know how to teach better than anyone out there). The only thing about Marlon was the whole thing about him admitting he wasn't trying his hardest. If the coaches use him right, and he carries the right attitude with himself and the line really does prove to be a strength the sky really could be the limit for him this season.

Completely agree, I have used the Faulk comparison before as well. I think he is going to have another great season this year. Those that do not appreciate him now are never going to because their expectations were not immediately met.

I really see Marlon Lucky as better suited to being an inside receiver than a RB. He has great hands and he runs well in the open field plus he has good speed (albeit modest quickness). These strengths are ideal for an inside receiver. His weaknesses are that he has modest quickness, he shys away from and falls into contact rather than exploding into a tackler (notice that as he approaches contact he begins to go down before being hit --- he is doing this less and less with time, but still does this), he does not follow blocks that well and has limited vision in traffic --- so he is only decent in traffic at best. All in all, he is still a fine college back and a great receiver. At the next level --- if there is a next level for Marlon --- he seems best suited to be a receiver.

Since Pelini seems to be so high on Helu, why not move Lucky out as a split end or slot back? Great opportunity to emphasis his strengths (good hands, open field running and speed). Use him to spread the LB's and open up some running lanes while upgrading an unproven receiving unit...

Have Bo give me a call...we can discuss it.

And I would use Westbrook as a comparison with Lucky...not Faulk.

Since Pelini seems to be so high on Helu, why not move Lucky out as a split end or slot back? Great opportunity to emphasis his strengths (good hands, open field running and speed). Use him to spread the LB's and open up some running lanes while upgrading an unproven receiving unit...

Have Bo give me a call...we can discuss it.

And I would use Westbrook as a comparison with Lucky...not Faulk.

I certainly would not advocate moving Lucky now in his senior year. For the sake of the team, moving a senior from what he has known for some time (and from a position where he is a contributor) is less than ideal. With Glenn it was different on three counts --- one, Glenn was likely the #4 RB and would virtually never see the field --- two, he moved of his own volition (in an effort to see the field), and 3 --- he moved from a crowded position to a depleted position. For Lucky, none of those three apply -- one, he is the #1 RB, two, he has given no indication that he wants to move, and three, the receiver positions at NU are not deleted --- we have plenty of talent there (both young and experienced players a plenty), and if he moved, the RB position if not thin would have only two guys (perhaps that is enough with just Helu and Castille and redshirting Okafor). Even though I think he'd be better suited as a receiver --- eventually, if he is to have a shot at the pros --- I'd not move him now. I'd leave him there and then counsel him to communicate pre-draft a willingness to be open to moving positions in the pros.

Since Pelini seems to be so high on Helu, why not move Lucky out as a split end or slot back?

Helu was a fresman last year. There's no way a coach would give him most of the carries at this point in his career. That would be dumb IMO.

Here is my thought on Marlon Lucky. If Helu is doing as well as Pelini says (he keeps mentioning him without prompting), Marlon may see his carries significantly reduced and may become a 3rd down back in our offense. I would feel badly for him if that happened. Dude has glue for hands though.

I think your on pot because that would never happen!

Marlon is a solid back. I think with the new emphasis on power running and being physical, he will show more ability to run between the tackles. Our line last year was constantly getting blown off the ball and I don't see that happening this season. Once we establish the line of scrimmage and Marlon doesn't have to dodge tacklers that are in the backfield at the snap, plus having the receivers block more effectively, he should have more holes to run through and find a seam.

As far as going down before he gets hit, Marlon did better last year being physical. With the physical nature the staff is trying to instill in this team, I see him being a more physical runner than we have seen from him thus far. But, if he doesn't run hard enough or physical enough, he may see his carries going to either Helu or Castille.

I think it's ridiculous that some people in Husker land think Marlon is overrated when he was our best offensive player last season. Without him we could've lost two more games at least! The kid is getting better year after year and he didn't go down as easily last season like the season before. He's not a bruser type of back he is all about finesse. He is an outstanding catch and run back out of the back field and that's his best asset.

QUOTE(Cy the Cyclone @ Apr 10 2008, 08:28 AM)

Since Pelini seems to be so high on Helu, why not move Lucky out as a split end or slot back?

QUOTE(DaveH @ Apr 10 2008, 10:02 AM)

Helu was a fresman last year. There's no way a coach would give him most of the carries at this point in his career. That would be dumb IMO.

--------

IMO, fresh, soph, jr, sr.... no matter what classification, you let the RB, or any position at that matter, who is doing the best play. If you have an Adrian Peterson as a fresh and a Julius Jones as a senior, it would be retarded to play the senior just because he has been there longer... may the best player play. I am by no means saying that Lucky is a Julius Jones and the others are Petersons, but getting caught up in classification is where some teams make their #1 mistakes, no matter what position. Lucky was the starter last year and proved himself... but this year if Helu or Castille are to do better than Lucky in the first 2 or 3 games, why waste them and keep starting Lucky because he is a senior? My prediction though is that Lucky will not do bad. I do not favor one of our RBs over the other, so I want the one that is doing the best to play the most in order for Nebraska to WIN!

I would love to see... Marlon as a slot receiver, and Helu/Castille as split backs or in the I-formation with Castille at fullback.... why not get them all on the field? Lucky in motion... reverses... I'm just sayin...