To The People Who Attended The Spring Game

Was it just me or was it particularly hard to enjoy with the Pelini format? I think it was a better use of the scrimmage as far as the players actually getting something out of it, but it just seemed to get boring. It was a practice scrimmage in front of 80,000 instead of a game which it had been the last 4 years or any year I had ever gone.

It's probably a good thing because the last 4 years we had BC in there having our starters run the score up to give unreasonable expectations to the fan base. I'm not complaining because I think this format is more beneficial to the players, but just seeing if I was the only one who felt this way.

thats because this is a practice man.. come on, be realistic.. if they wanted it to be a real game situation, there would be no coaches all over the field, players wouldn't be switching teams, the clock would stop in the 2nd half.. i mean, come on... its a scrimmage.. scrimmages happen at practice.. its just a glorified practice for us to see a couple people get hit in the middle of April. thats it

It was a practice. They just ran it exactly the same way they would have run any other practice. No kool aid served.

I suppose you could say it was a little boring compared to the callahan model, but I wasn't there to be WOWed with big plays and all. I wanted to see the teams progress. In that regard I am satisfied and even impressed. There's still a long way to go, but the players look to be taking things seriously and apllying themselves. It was gratifying to see the defense flying to the ball, getting off blocks, and finishing plays every down. That goes for all of them whether they are first team or otherwise.

One thing that stood out to me. New Players like Jim Ebke and Kody Spano being ready to play this early. Each got a couple of series toward the end of the scrimmage and looked like they could handle themselves already. They might make those 'rookie' mistakes but they both made plays, and neither looked overwhelmed. I'd say they're being well coached. If Bo and staff can get guys ready to take a snap after only having them for spring camp, I think we have some VERY good days ahead.

When my dad and I were leaving, I said to him, "This didn't make me feel any particular way about the tea-- not better or worse." I guess that was partially because it was a little dull, but it wasn't a show-off score-fest propaganda game, either. During the BC years, I'd leave going, "Wow! We totally kick arse!" and then spend the rest of the season watching them get crushed. This was a more-or-less evenly split game, so the scoring was low. They also were working on fundamentals (as was mentioned in another thread). Maybe it's because of the last couple of years, but I've learned not to assume anything about the coming season based on the spring game. It really has no validity in that regard. Teams were split, people weren't playing with their regular crew... that removes even more of the "precision machine" qualities that they've been working on.

I saw it as a good, interesting view of players' skills, not really as entertainment nor as anything with predictive value. It was just nice to see some ball again :)

I've seen quite a few posts that some were either confused or disappointed with the spring game. The simple fact is that the game (practice) is not really for us the fans. It was a chance for the coaching staff to expose the many of the young players to what it would be like on a typical Saturday to play in front of 80,000 fans. This was a chance for Pelini's crew to evaluate them in a simulated big game condition to see if they can handle a pressure situation. Catching or running the ball in practice with no one but the coaches is one thing, but you put 80,000 people out there watching you it's a totally different animal. I'll bet Mendoza has played well in past practices, but when under "the lights" Saturday, he kind of stunk the place up. That's all part of the learning process and us as fans should happy to help them out. Unless you were an idiot and paid an over inflated price for your ticket, it was a chance to see where some of these guys will be playing come fall. Also, there were some future recruits watching the game, who travelled on their own dime, and they had to be pretty impressed that 80,000 showed up for a spring game. That goes a long way to getting those guys excited to come here. I believe the fans did their part, now it's up to Pelini's staff to do theirs.

As for B.C. and his spring game scorefest, I believe some of that was orchestrated to give the fans something to talk about all the while ignoring the 800 lb. elephant that was a poor ill equipped defense that couldn't tackle or cover on a bet. It was kind of like wrapping up a turd in a pretty Christmas box with a pretty bow on top. It looked great under the tree, but it's still a turd in a box.

When my dad and I were leaving, I said to him, "This didn't make me feel any particular way about the tea--

Kool Ade..Don't you mean Kool Ade? :box

I've seen quite a few posts that some were either confused or disappointed with the spring game. The simple fact is that the game (practice) is not really for us the fans. It was a chance for the coaching staff to expose the many of the young players to what it would be like on a typical Saturday to play in front of 80,000 fans. This was a chance for Pelini's crew to evaluate them in a simulated big game condition to see if they can handle a pressure situation. Catching or running the ball in practice with no one but the coaches is one thing, but you put 80,000 people out there watching you it's a totally different animal. I'll bet Mendoza has played well in past practices, but when under "the lights" Saturday, he kind of stunk the place up. That's all part of the learning process and us as fans should happy to help them out. Unless you were an idiot and paid an over inflated price for your ticket, it was a chance to see where some of these guys will be playing come fall. Also, there were some future recruits watching the game, who travelled on their own dime, and they had to be pretty impressed that 80,000 showed up for a spring game. That goes a long way to getting those guys excited to come here. I believe the fans did their part, now it's up to Pelini's staff to do theirs.

As for B.C. and his spring game scorefest, I believe some of that was orchestrated to give the fans something to talk about all the while ignoring the 800 lb. elephant that was a poor ill equipped defense that couldn't tackle or cover on a bet. It was kind of like wrapping up a turd in a pretty Christmas box with a pretty bow on top. It looked great under the tree, but it's still a turd in a box.

Good Post!

I might add (Like 5 of you already have, "It's a practice!!!" dedhoarse

Although I'm so starved for some Football out here in the Desert, I was mighty tempted to drive out for my birthday and see it.

Maybe they shouldn't keep calling it "the Spring GAME".

I wasn't complaining, I was very pleased with the Spring Game. I had a lot of fun and it was great to watch some Husker football for the first time since November.

The post wasn't directed at you, but to some of the other threads I've been seeing that they feel that it was a rip-off. I agree, it was great to have some football to watch. I really hate the layoff between the bowls and the kickoff to the season.

We need a spring football season...like in soccer, they have a fall league and a spring league where my daughter goes to school....think we should start that with football, then for the 4th of July, you have the fall champion play the spring champion, then you have your annual champion.

Go ahead...I have my flame retardant underoos on, flame me...

I liked the practice, I was able to see how the guys were coming around. it was also cool that Jason Peters was sitting 10 rows infront of me. I liked it becuase i was able to watch Glenn Get away with pushing the WR down a couple of times. and Thenarse laying the wood one time. I will admit it did get boring but it was a good time. My main thing was i was watching the players and how they showed excitment after the big plays. And most of all it was during a practice so what will it be like when all 81000 fans are screaming and yelling during a game.

When my dad and I were leaving, I said to him, "This didn't make me feel any particular way about the tea-- not better or worse." I guess that was partially because it was a little dull, but it wasn't a show-off score-fest propaganda game, either. During the BC years, I'd leave going, "Wow! We totally kick arse!" and then spend the rest of the season watching them get crushed. This was a more-or-less evenly split game, so the scoring was low. They also were working on fundamentals (as was mentioned in another thread). Maybe it's because of the last couple of years, but I've learned not to assume anything about the coming season based on the spring game. It really has no validity in that regard. Teams were split, people weren't playing with their regular crew... that removes even more of the "precision machine" qualities that they've been working on.

I saw it as a good, interesting view of players' skills, not really as entertainment nor as anything with predictive value. It was just nice to see some ball again :)

I felt the same way.

But I had an awesome time at the game. Probably because I was a little lit up from pre-game festivities. But me and my buddies enjoy sarcastically yelling as loud as we could every time somebody made a tackle, because, you know, we didn't see a whole lot of that last year. ;)

I would still like to see them do something different with the green jerseys. This one-hand touch = a tackle is overkill. IMO they should have to be in-position to make a real tackle for it to count.

It wasn't particularly exciting but I found it moreso than BC's lopsided, dog-and-pony-show system. I found the blowouts boring and frustrating. Generally the Red-White game isn't exciting, IT ISN'T A REAL GAME, it wasn't exciting before BC or Bo either. We were just pumping this Red-White game up because of the sellout.

I was pretty satisfied with the game.