2008 Schedule - Challenging Games

Of the four toughest games you mention, I'm actually most optimistic about VT. Brandon Ore got dismissed from the team last month. They have some good redshirt RBs that will probably start playing this year, but the good news is we get them early on the season, when they'll have virtually no starting experience. Not sure whether Tyrod Taylor or Sean Glennon will be the starter at QB this year. Maybe someone else has some more input on that one. I wasn't all that impressed by either of them last year and I don't think the coaching staff was either, since they switched them several times.

Anyway, the reason I'm optimistic is because this team was as inept at offense last year as we were at defense. It's hard to believe, given their record and final ranking, but all of their success fell squarely on the shoulders of the D. So they should be a relatively easy, early test for our defense, at least compared to some of the Big 12 offenses we'll face.

On the other side of the ball we're gonna have a much stiffer challenge. Even though they're losing a lot of defensive starters from last year's team, they always seem to reload. The good news is that we get them early in the year at our place. If you remember early last year (week 2 I think), VT went down to Baton Rouge and had their D run out of the building (48-7). I'm sure Bo remembers. This is all the more interesting because LSU wasn't a top tier offensive team last year. Hopefully we can pull off something similar, even though we're not 2007 LSU.

Don't sleep on the Hokies. Last year, the O-Line was mostly made up Redshirt Freshmen. Very young. Glennon is not a running QB and after the beat down we got from LSU we had to make the change. Taylor was a true freshman. He did about the best one could do considering the position he was placed in. In this off season he has stepped it up a notch. Just make sure your D have their ankles taped a little tighter than normal. This will be good game. We're making the trip out there. Looking forward to throwing down some cold ones with the huskernation!

So, we all know the predictions for this upcoming season on who will be the tough teams to beat. In my opinion, there are 4 teams that I consider NU underdogs in. In other words, these four teams are going to be the most difficult to beat. They are: Virginia Tech (hopefully our first measuring stick on how far NU has progressed), Missouri, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. VT and Mizzou are both home games, while NU will be going on the road for Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

Then there are three games, in my opinion, that may prove to be tough, but I wouldn't necessarily consider NU underdogs in. They are: Kansas, KSU, and Colorado. Both Kansas and Colorado are home games, while NU will be visiting Manhattan to face KSU.

Now I know this information may already be well known, but that wasn't the point of creating this thread. Even though it's still really early, I want to get some discussion started on how well the above opponents' Winter Training, Spring Practice, etc went. Any news articles, interviews, etc. that discuss how good/bad the offense/defense is, key players on both sides of the ball, and any other news that may be relavant.

For instance, a great discussion (at least for me) could be started about Texas Tech. I know this team can really air it out, has one of the best receivers in college football, but what about their running game? I haven't heard ANYTHING about how capable this team is of running the ball. This would be very important for NU going into the game, because if the team is one-sided (i.e., can only pass the ball), this would benefit the Huskers greatly.

That's just an example of the type of information I want to discuss on this thread. I want people to post information about other teams - specifically those teams listed above - and then make relationships between this information and how it will affect that team's game with the Huskers.

Now, before someone says something, I just want to say that I know it is still difficult to be able to tell how well each team will do because it is still early in the football season (it isn't even summer yet!). I know it is still early, and I know some information that can be found will not be relevant by the time August rolls around. However, alot of information will still be relevant, and that's the info I would like to focus on.

Anything can happen between now and then, but if things are based on what we have seen on the field up to this point, NU will be underdogs against VT, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas Tech --- and Kansas and Colorado as well. How can anyone have a 5-7 team favored over a 12-1 , BCS winning, ranked team that hung 73 points on them last game?!!!!! Kansas will, and should be heavily favored over NU. Colorado only slightly so.

If NU wins any of those games it will be an upset.

We need to win one out of the three vs VT, Mizz, and TT otherwise otherwise we could go into '07 flashbacks and backslide. Alll three will be very tough. Mizzou will likely be a top10 squad, they'd be the biggest win we've had since OU in '01. Having a biweek beforehand and homefield will hopefully carry us over the top vs VT. TT will be made worse by coming off two tough weeks and playing in a hostile environment.

Of the four toughest games you mention, I'm actually most optimistic about VT. Brandon Ore got dismissed from the team last month. They have some good redshirt RBs that will probably start playing this year, but the good news is we get them early on the season, when they'll have virtually no starting experience. Not sure whether Tyrod Taylor or Sean Glennon will be the starter at QB this year. Maybe someone else has some more input on that one. I wasn't all that impressed by either of them last year and I don't think the coaching staff was either, since they switched them several times.

Anyway, the reason I'm optimistic is because this team was as inept at offense last year as we were at defense. It's hard to believe, given their record and final ranking, but all of their success fell squarely on the shoulders of the D. So they should be a relatively easy, early test for our defense, at least compared to some of the Big 12 offenses we'll face.

On the other side of the ball we're gonna have a much stiffer challenge. Even though they're losing a lot of defensive starters from last year's team, they always seem to reload. The good news is that we get them early in the year at our place. If you remember early last year (week 2 I think), VT went down to Baton Rouge and had their D run out of the building (48-7). I'm sure Bo remembers. This is all the more interesting because LSU wasn't a top tier offensive team last year. Hopefully we can pull off something similar, even though we're not 2007 LSU.

Don't sleep on the Hokies. Last year, the O-Line was mostly made up Redshirt Freshmen. Very young. Glennon is not a running QB and after the beat down we got from LSU we had to make the change. Taylor was a true freshman. He did about the best one could do considering the position he was placed in. In this off season he has stepped it up a notch. Just make sure your D have their ankles taped a little tighter than normal. This will be good game. We're making the trip out there. Looking forward to throwing down some cold ones with the huskernation!

I do not think we will be sleeping when you come to town. It should be a very good game and I hope they carry it on AFN over here. The stadium should be electric for this game and you will undoubtably have a great time win or lose. You will be made to feel like you are welcome anytime. Huskers vs Hokies, what a match up this should be. :box

GBR

Western Michigan Memorial Stadium- W

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium TBA -W

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium TBA -W

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium TBA -W (VT has a very shaky offense expecially with their HB issues and the defense lost a lot last season and even many in their own fanbase sees this game as a loss for them)

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium TBA - W (Missouri isn't a more talented team than Nebraska, they were just the only one of the two to actually play like a team last year. This year will be a much more evenly matched game and since the winner of this series is usually the home team, I'm going with Nebraska)

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas TBA -W

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa TBA-W

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. TBA-L

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA-W

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium TBA -W

B12 title game - OU - loss

As far as the VT game goes, I'm surprised at the focus on NU's D versus VT's O. I think NU wins this game fairly easily, assumning NU isnt killed in ST, due to what should be a much better NU offense than VT's D. VT lost a lot on D especially in the secondary. Macho Harris coming back does help, but he alone shouldnt be enought to stop NU's passing game. Again, assuming NU's attack is as potent as it was at the end of last season. VT's O could have a slight edge on the NU D, but I see NU's O having a large advantage over VT's D.

I think the first three are near-gimmes, and we may out and out embarrass VT.

We're lucky to have the toughest North games at home - MU (maybe a slight edge for us because it's at home), KU (55-45 it's a loss, but consider the revenge factor). And, the fat man is for real (outcoached BC EVERY game - maybe that's not saying much), and CU (might be 50-50).

TT could be a trap - although, I'm sure Bo will remind the troops the last time NU was in Lubbock, they hung 70 on us.

OU is likely a loss, but you never know. We could win the North with 3 conf. losses.

At best, 10-2; at worst 7-5, but I think 9-3.

So, we all know the predictions for this upcoming season on who will be the tough teams to beat. In my opinion, there are 4 teams that I consider NU underdogs in. In other words, these four teams are going to be the most difficult to beat. They are: Virginia Tech (hopefully our first measuring stick on how far NU has progressed), Missouri, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. VT and Mizzou are both home games, while NU will be going on the road for Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

Then there are three games, in my opinion, that may prove to be tough, but I wouldn't necessarily consider NU underdogs in. They are: Kansas, KSU, and Colorado. Both Kansas and Colorado are home games, while NU will be visiting Manhattan to face KSU.

Now I know this information may already be well known, but that wasn't the point of creating this thread. Even though it's still really early, I want to get some discussion started on how well the above opponents' Winter Training, Spring Practice, etc went. Any news articles, interviews, etc. that discuss how good/bad the offense/defense is, key players on both sides of the ball, and any other news that may be relevant.

For instance, a great discussion (at least for me) could be started about Texas Tech. I know this team can really air it out, has one of the best receivers in college football, but what about their running game? I haven't heard ANYTHING about how capable this team is of running the ball. This would be very important for NU going into the game, because if the team is one-sided (i.e., can only pass the ball), this would benefit the Huskers greatly.

That's just an example of the type of information I want to discuss on this thread. I want people to post information about other teams - specifically those teams listed above - and then make relationships between this information and how it will affect that team's game with the Huskers.

Now, before someone says something, I just want to say that I know it is still difficult to be able to tell how well each team will do because it is still early in the football season (it isn't even summer yet!). I know it is still early, and I know some information that can be found will not be relevant by the time August rolls around. However, a lot of information will still be relevant, and that's the info I would like to focus on.

Anything can happen between now and then, but if things are based on what we have seen on the field up to this point, NU will be underdogs against VT, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas Tech --- and Kansas and Colorado as well. How can anyone have a 5-7 team favored over a 12-1 , BCS winning, ranked team that hung 73 points on them last game?!!!!! Kansas will, and should be heavily favored over NU. Colorado only slightly so.

If NU wins any of those games it will be an upset.

the above post is right on the money.......no way to tell how good the teams will be that we face, but basic logic tells you we will be out manned by many, even with some and slightly better than a couple teams on our schedule. progress would honestly be 7-5, compared to a dismal 5-7 from last year. above that, dreaming of being better is just that, but the ball can take strange bounces along the way.

I see us as clear dawgs vs VT, MO, OU, TTech. We have KU and CO at home--I see those games as even. KSU doesnt scare me.

Look for Michael Crabtree to be unstoppable at Tech, the guy will be in the Heisman race w/o a doubt!

Then there's Demarco Murray at OU, another Heisman guy..

Also, don't overlook W. MI....they always field a very good team.

What I think will be different this year is we will upset a few teams that we are underdogs too, maybe VT and MO.

OU will be even scarier this year, unfortunately.

But, we have Bo Pelini, so I have no doubt the Huskers will be playing as hard or harder than any team we face.

If Big Red wins 8 reg season games next year, I see that as a successful year. :restore

They only ran for 771 yards last year, and their leading rusher is gone this year, so I assume they'll be a "one dimensional passing team." I don't think this necessarily favors the Huskers though. Seems the weakness of our linebacking corps is dropping back in pass coverage. If TT really spreads the field, I think we're in trouble. Despite last years incompetence in run defense, I have a hunch that this year we'll be much better off defending run-heavy teams (aTm) than pass heavy teams like TT.

Uh, last time I looked, TTech would rather throw the ball to a bunch of barefooted receivers than run it. I mean, Leach has a well known disdain for running the ball, 'cept in the most sneaky ways. So why is this even a consideration?

To say that TTech is 'one dimensional' is a bit misleading, their 'running game' is basically a myriad of short passes in all variations, which is more of a pain in the ass than your typical running attack.

I dont see anybody stopping Crabtree this year. He's the front runner for the Heisman as far as I'm concerned. If we can contain him a bit that might give us a chance in that game....

We saw the spread offenses taken to new levels in '07, expect that same trend to continue in '08, from all teams....good luck being a linebacker these days....

As far as the VT game goes, I'm surprised at the focus on NU's D versus VT's O. I think NU wins this game fairly easily, assumning NU isnt killed in ST, due to what should be a much better NU offense than VT's D. VT lost a lot on D especially in the secondary. Macho Harris coming back does help, but he alone shouldnt be enought to stop NU's passing game. Again, assuming NU's attack is as potent as it was at the end of last season. VT's O could have a slight edge on the NU D, but I see NU's O having a large advantage over VT's D.

Bud Foster has Va Tech's D ready to roll every year. They'll be tough again in '08, bet on it. As usual Beamer will have good special teams that could turn the game at any moment. I think we'll be in for a fight.

Folks shouldn't underestimate KU. They did beat VT and despite a trainwreck first-half still almost beat Mizzou. The loss of their DC and two defensive studs hurts. But that D still returns most starters. Their O will be nasty, they landed the #1 JUCO to replace McAnderson as powerback. They will be down a bit at wr but still have Reesing and an experienced O-line. This will be another battle.

Cy does have a point, even if it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. ISU is a classic trap-game. ISU showed the ability to battle last year. We should win but we can't take this one for granted by any means.

They only ran for 771 yards last year, and their leading rusher is gone this year, so I assume they'll be a "one dimensional passing team." I don't think this necessarily favors the Huskers though. Seems the weakness of our linebacking corps is dropping back in pass coverage. If TT really spreads the field, I think we're in trouble. Despite last years incompetence in run defense, I have a hunch that this year we'll be much better off defending run-heavy teams (aTm) than pass heavy teams like TT.

to me I think the difference between this year and last years defense (esp early on) will be turnovers. I think we will still give up large #'s of yards early on, but I think if a team puts the ball in the air a lot next year we will get a few picks.... so we will just have to outscore teams. by the end of the year I think bo will have them playing decent D all around. that is why I expect to win the CU and KSU games and atleast play KU very very close