2008 Schedule - Challenging Games

So, we all know the predictions for this upcoming season on who will be the tough teams to beat. In my opinion, there are 4 teams that I consider NU underdogs in. In other words, these four teams are going to be the most difficult to beat. They are: Virginia Tech (hopefully our first measuring stick on how far NU has progressed), Missouri, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. VT and Mizzou are both home games, while NU will be going on the road for Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

Then there are three games, in my opinion, that may prove to be tough, but I wouldn't necessarily consider NU underdogs in. They are: Kansas, KSU, and Colorado. Both Kansas and Colorado are home games, while NU will be visiting Manhattan to face KSU.

Now I know this information may already be well known, but that wasn't the point of creating this thread. Even though it's still really early, I want to get some discussion started on how well the above opponents' Winter Training, Spring Practice, etc went. Any news articles, interviews, etc. that discuss how good/bad the offense/defense is, key players on both sides of the ball, and any other news that may be relavant.

For instance, a great discussion (at least for me) could be started about Texas Tech. I know this team can really air it out, has one of the best receivers in college football, but what about their running game? I haven't heard ANYTHING about how capable this team is of running the ball. This would be very important for NU going into the game, because if the team is one-sided (i.e., can only pass the ball), this would benefit the Huskers greatly.

That's just an example of the type of information I want to discuss on this thread. I want people to post information about other teams - specifically those teams listed above - and then make relationships between this information and how it will affect that team's game with the Huskers.

Now, before someone says something, I just want to say that I know it is still difficult to be able to tell how well each team will do because it is still early in the football season (it isn't even summer yet!). I know it is still early, and I know some information that can be found will not be relevant by the time August rolls around. However, alot of information will still be relevant, and that's the info I would like to focus on.

For instance, a great discussion (at least for me) could be started about Texas Tech. I know this team can really air it out, has one of the best receivers in college football, but what about their running game? I haven't heard ANYTHING about how capable this team is of running the ball. This would be very important for NU going into the game, because if the team is one-sided (i.e., can only pass the ball), this would benefit the Huskers greatly.

They only ran for 771 yards last year, and their leading rusher is gone this year, so I assume they'll be a "one dimensional passing team." I don't think this necessarily favors the Huskers though. Seems the weakness of our linebacking corps is dropping back in pass coverage. If TT really spreads the field, I think we're in trouble. Despite last years incompetence in run defense, I have a hunch that this year we'll be much better off defending run-heavy teams (aTm) than pass heavy teams like TT.

Of the four toughest games you mention, I'm actually most optimistic about VT. Brandon Ore got dismissed from the team last month. They have some good redshirt RBs that will probably start playing this year, but the good news is we get them early on the season, when they'll have virtually no starting experience. Not sure whether Tyrod Taylor or Sean Glennon will be the starter at QB this year. Maybe someone else has some more input on that one. I wasn't all that impressed by either of them last year and I don't think the coaching staff was either, since they switched them several times.

Anyway, the reason I'm optimistic is because this team was as inept at offense last year as we were at defense. It's hard to believe, given their record and final ranking, but all of their success fell squarely on the shoulders of the D. So they should be a relatively easy, early test for our defense, at least compared to some of the Big 12 offenses we'll face.

On the other side of the ball we're gonna have a much stiffer challenge. Even though they're losing a lot of defensive starters from last year's team, they always seem to reload. The good news is that we get them early in the year at our place. If you remember early last year (week 2 I think), VT went down to Baton Rouge and had their D run out of the building (48-7). I'm sure Bo remembers. This is all the more interesting because LSU wasn't a top tier offensive team last year. Hopefully we can pull off something similar, even though we're not 2007 LSU.

They only ran for 771 yards last year, and their leading rusher is gone this year, so I assume they'll be a "one dimensional passing team." I don't think this necessarily favors the Huskers though. Seems the weakness of our linebacking corps is dropping back in pass coverage. If TT really spreads the field, I think we're in trouble. Despite last years incompetence in run defense, I have a hunch that this year we'll be much better off defending run-heavy teams (aTm) than pass heavy teams like TT.

Against TT I would expect to be in nickel and dime the whole game, it would make the weakness of the LBs less of an issue, as we do seem to have some pretty good athletes in the secondary.

Of the four teams mentioned, I do think they are the hardest four for us. Of them, I think VT is the one we have the best chance of beating. They have the least explosive offense, and absolutly no experience at RB. MU, OU and TT all have much better QBs, and offenses that do well with fast strikes. I fully expect to lsoe to OU and TT, if for no other reason than they are road games, vs teams who play their best at home(maybe we can ask to have the OU game moved to Tempe...)

This is how i see our season going down:

Western Michigan Memorial Stadium- W

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium TBA -W

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium TBA -W (This game will be closer than some think)

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium TBA -L

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium TBA -L

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas TBA -W

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa TBA-W

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. TBA-L

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA-W

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium TBA -W

KU and TTech were both tough, i think those could be swing games

We'll probably be in nickel pretty much the whole game then. I believe Bo mentioned something about running nickel quite a bit given the offensive prowess of the teams in the Big 12.

This is how i see our season going down:

Western Michigan Memorial Stadium- W

Sat, Sep 06 San Jose State Memorial Stadium TBA -W

Sat, Sep 13 New Mexico State Memorial Stadium TBA -W (This game will be closer than some think)

Sat, Sep 27 Virginia Tech Memorial Stadium TBA -L

Sat, Oct 04 Missouri * Memorial Stadium TBA -L

Sat, Oct 11 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas TBA -W

Sat, Oct 18 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa TBA-W

Sat, Oct 25 Baylor * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. TBA-L

Sat, Nov 08 Kansas * Memorial Stadium TBA-W

Sat, Nov 15 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA-W

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado * Memorial Stadium TBA -W

KU and TTech were both tough, i think those could be swing games

That is the sweetest avatar ive ever seen......I am so jealous

Bwahahaha...Iowa State is a perfect "trap" game

A) NU will be coming off games with VT, MU and TT...all tough games

ISU will be coming off an off week, Kansas at home and Baylor

B) NU will be playing their second away game in two weeks

ISU will be playing at home

C) NU could realistically come in with a 3-3 record based on the schedule

ISU could realistically come in with a 5-1 record (giving KU the benefit of a doubt here....)

D) NU intensity level could be low with ISU followed by Baylor on the schedule after three big games

ISU always turns it up against Nebraska (sometimes it doesn't show...but that's beside the point)

We have our QB controversy of course but I'm thinking Bates wins the job this fall as his passing has improved 100% since last year and gives ISU a real dual threat QB.

The NU running game appears to be much better than ISU's but the Clones seem to have the upper hand in receivers. The O-lines are pretty comparable and they both have some good depth.

I believe on defense that ISU has an edge. We have experienced and speedy DE's who really rush and contain. The LB's have been really impressive this spring and Jesse Smith is turning out to be a real Dick Butkus type...not the most athletic guy in the world but a guy that loves to hit. The ISU secondary features four guys that started all last year and did a solid job

Yep...ISU is the real trap game. Be aware.

Hmmm. I see your point, but if you think Bo can't scheme to stop a one dimensional team, you're crazy. Granted, the players have to execute the scheme, but if you are sending someone after that QB and hitting him/sacking him a fair amount, he's going to start making mistakes trying to get rid of the ball ASAP. Sure he can dump the passes off on short slants, but we also have alot of hard hitting DBs. Knock those WRs on their arse a few times, maybe even create a few fumbles from going across the middle, and I think NU can start overcoming that great passing game.

Crabtree is a problem though. They use him in so many different ways that it's hard to account for him. If NU can stop him and stop him early, I think NU may have a pretty good chance.

It will still be a tough, tough game...hopefully it will be fun to watch too!

There is no earthly way I can look at the schedule and write down a W here, an L there. Those days are long gone.

It can be done out of fun & imagination though. And that's fine.

I think this year I may just sit back, not expect too much beyond reason, and watch the progress week to week.

But I swear to God if we dont win 8 games.... (kidding/sort of/not really/kind of) ;)

There is no earthly way I can look at the schedule and write down a W here, an L there. Those days are long gone.

It can be done out of fun & imagination though. And that's fine.

I think this year I may just sit back, not expect too much beyond reason, and watch the progress week to week.

But I swear to God if we dont win 8 games.... (kidding/sort of/not really/kind of) ;)

I agree. Also, its getting old hearing it, but I honestly do just wanna see some <3 for a change.